PDA

View Full Version : CA officially confirms Medieval Total War 2

Barbarossa82
01-21-2006, 01:03
http://www.totalwar.com/community/medieval2.htm

Looks like it's pretty much based on the Rome engine, but with added variation between individuals within a unit.
Looks great to me!

SirGrotius
01-21-2006, 01:11
Wow, it does look very good. I really, really hope the battles last longer. I'm surprised they didn't go Napoleonic, but I guess that market's been saturated a bit.

Thon
01-21-2006, 01:42
History in the Making
A huge campaign spanning from the years 1080-1530, that will take the player beyond the first Crusade up until the dawn of the renaissance. An extended campaign map will allow passage to South and Central America bringing the player into battle with the Aztecs.

whoa

Herakleitos
01-21-2006, 02:28
"A legion of more than 250 new and unique units split over 21 factions, each with their own new special abilities that open up a wealth of intuitive battlefield tactics."

Sounds great, but will the AI also be blessed with this intuition...?

"New Settlement Types
Build through six levels of settlement ranging from humble villages to vast cities and wooden forts to mighty stone fortress. Develop your faction as a feudal aristocracy using you castles to keep the peasants in check whilst conquering your enemies with your powerful armies. Or build cities to develop a wealthy urban society, and battle your foes with diplomacy, bribery, assassination and armies of mercenaries."

This I like very much as I think it will make the whole game much more 'immersive'. In this respect I hope they will include two features: the ability to negotiate with cities / forts that are under siege and supply lines for campaigning armies (so wars will have to be planned more thoroughly). Although this will be a burden for the AI as well I suppose...

I'll be buying the game in any case though...

tai4ji2x
01-21-2006, 03:16
~:confused: yet another rehash? you'd think three times in a row with a map of the mediterranean might get redundant... :dizzy2: eh... i guess we'll have to wait for the one AFTER this to get something truly revolutionary again. oh well ~:handball:

red comyn
01-21-2006, 09:01
~:confused: yet another rehash?

I think it will be good, having a pc good enough to enjoy it on will be a differant matter :dizzy2: .

When thinking of another time period to go for youve got to consider all the differant factors that make the game good. I.E. differant types of troops, advancing technology, H2H combat still prevalnt, elements of religion in there.

They could have went for WW1: total stalemate, but dont think it would have worked. Hit the dig trench button then sit and press the end turn button (stopping to watch the xmas footie cut scene of course)

Napolionic, really going to be acused of ripping off the mod of the same era.

Redoing STW, would be a nightmare, can you imagine trying to do a realistic "shogun" castle? :wall: :skull: Dont think we would be happy with the four thin walls and an open entrance anymore.

So all in I dont think they can go far wrong with going for a time period that works, but now with the added flexability on the campign map

x-dANGEr
01-21-2006, 09:36
Now this is great.. I'll get to play the muslims again hehe. I think Medieval era is the best era for such a game.. It was the most bloody after all, mainly between muslims an christians (Crusades and Jihads).

tai4ji2x
01-21-2006, 10:23
i'm not saying that MTW2 will be a "bad" thing necessarily - i'm still willing to see the end results and make final judgement then. i suppose i can understand that they didn't want to spend too much time on research for a less familiar setting (chinese three kingdoms or warring states, like some of us were hoping), given how often CA has stressed that they are a "small" outfit compared to the likes of blizzard, et al. nonetheless, a gutsier move would have been much more intriguing.

Zatoichi
01-21-2006, 10:50
More info and screenies here:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/682/682437p1.html

In the words of Brave Sir Robin:

'I've soiled my armour!'

Wow - I know graphics are just eye candy, and the important stuff is how it actually plays, but even so - my eyeballs are in a sugar-induced diabetic coma!

The list of playable factions (well, playable in mp/custom at least) is:
England, France, Scotland, Holy Roman Empire, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Milan, Venice, Papal States, Sicily, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Byzantium, The Turks, Egypt, The Moors, The Mongols, The Tumurids, The Aztecs.

The whole 'discovering America' thing is pretty interesting, as is the units being made up of individually dressed and equipped soldiers that will see the benefits of armour/weapon upgrades. Getting one of your cardinals elected Pope also sounds like a good twist on the whole 'kill the Pope' scenario from the original.

I wonder how easy this will be to mod? I mean, does this mean to mod one skin you'll actually have to mod about 10?

I'm actually pretty darn excited about the whole thing. Not looking forward to explaining to the wife about exactly why I need a new PC though...

'I've done it again!'

Edit - whoops, I didn't see the stickied 6 page thread in the Entrance Hall dealing with this topic - I guess the RTW forum isn't the place to discuss this, so I'll copy my post over there.

Taiwan Legion
01-21-2006, 11:37
man if they did the three kingdom era, think about how hot this game will sell in Taiwan and Hong Kong and Singapores places. If they did it, it'll be the first realistic RTS about the Three Kingdom Era. They could even go into a combined effort with KOEI and make the next Romance of the Three Kingdom Total War game, in which you have a KOEI interface for strategies and stuff but a total war battlefield. That thing will probably sell millions in Taiwan and Hong Kong. I'm not counting China since like 80% of game software there is pirated.

Monarch
01-21-2006, 13:46
I think it will be good, having a pc good enough to enjoy it on will be a differant matter :dizzy2: .

When thinking of another time period to go for youve got to consider all the differant factors that make the game good. I.E. differant types of troops, advancing technology, H2H combat still prevalnt, elements of religion in there.

They could have went for WW1: total stalemate, but dont think it would have worked. Hit the dig trench button then sit and press the end turn button (stopping to watch the xmas footie cut scene of course)

Napolionic, really going to be acused of ripping off the mod of the same era.

Redoing STW, would be a nightmare, can you imagine trying to do a realistic "shogun" castle? :wall: :skull: Dont think we would be happy with the four thin walls and an open entrance anymore.

So all in I dont think they can go far wrong with going for a time period that works, but now with the added flexability on the campign map

How the hell can it be called 'ripping'. It's not like the modders invented to the Napoleonic wars. I think they wanted to build a new engine for napoleonic. And there was no point building another new engine when they could get another game out of the Rome engine. Also a new engine would enable sea battles which where a big part of the era. I expect the next game will be Napoleonic with the 'revolution' being sea battles and other stuff like that. So yeah, for better or worse, I expect NTW to be released in 2008.

Dutch_guy
01-21-2006, 14:16
If this is half as good as MTW was, I'll buy it.

Having high hopes for this one, really do.

Charge assassins to wipe out enemy generals and witness their cold-hearted killing first-hand with assassination movie sequences.

Like the sound of this, they had the same thing in Shogun right ?

:balloon2:

Beelzebub
01-21-2006, 20:37
man if they did the three kingdom era, think about how hot this game will sell in Taiwan and Hong Kong and Singapores places. If they did it, it'll be the first realistic RTS about the Three Kingdom Era. They could even go into a combined effort with KOEI and make the next Romance of the Three Kingdom Total War game, in which you have a KOEI interface for strategies and stuff but a total war battlefield. That thing will probably sell millions in Taiwan and Hong Kong. I'm not counting China since like 80% of game software there is pirated.

So? Id rather they picked a more interesting era (medieval europe) than a boring asian one just for the sake of selling more copies.

Mikeus Caesar
01-21-2006, 21:21

I agree with Beezlebub, i'd rather have an interesting European one than an accurate and boring one set in China, just for the sake of selling more copies over there. And anyway, that would never work, as 90% of the copies of it bought would be pirated, and over here in the west, people don't like what they don't know!

Mooks
01-21-2006, 22:29
The mongol era would be horrible, the uber mongol faction would wipe everyone else out. Not to mention the map would be HUGE, mongol empire mostly stretched in deserts and steppes.

Napoleanic would be boring, lining your cannon fodder up in a straight line and advancing them into a hail of musket fire. And they had no armor back then, Napolean thought it was a waste.

hoom
01-21-2006, 23:29
I too am saddened that its not Three Kingdoms or similar.

Just because you never heard of it doesn't make it boring.

Looks like they are adding some pretty good improvements though :)

***Prays for better tactical & pathfinding AI***

AntiochusIII
01-23-2006, 08:20
So? Id rather they picked a more interesting era (medieval europe) than a boring asian one just for the sake of selling more copies.That is pretty close-minded of you. "A boring Asian one" rather hurts. The Chinese dynasties in their many great falls couldn't be more interesting. Throughout Chinese history, prospering empires are all alike, falling empires are falling in their own ways.

I have high hopes for this, very high, and I deserve to be pleased. This is their second Medieval -- many of the backgrounds they themselves have laid a long time ago will make the job of polishing this Total War much easier.

Just A Girl
01-23-2006, 08:48
I dont know why some are dissheartend by the fact that they are making MTW 2. And not some other period they have not done yet.
Id have liked to see them remake STW. personaly. But i have a feeling that game would be very easy to finish.
And In all honesty.
I cannot imagine a Better period for a total war game than Medieval ages.

MTW was and still is a Great game. And although not in need of a make over IMHO. I for 1 will welcome the eforts to bring this epic period to the newer players Who missed out on it the 1st time round. And who would probably be dissheartend by the diference in gfx if they were to buy the origional now.

Also.
The new engine will undoubtedly change game play drastically.
So id imagine It wont realy be anything like MTW.
I would supose that there will be improvments made to the trading of mtw.
And more indepth micromanagemnt (Althoug I really like the way mtw is)
Then with the adition of more land. And factions.
Its virtualy a entierly diferent game.
Prehaps if it was called AZTEK total War. but still be Exactly the same game as it will be now. you would not mind.

Although I guess i can understand That some would have prefered a new time period.
Personally, i think they have made a good decision.

So I guess I will be waiting this for this game with quiet exitment.

But, I will not make the mistake that I did with RTW,
I will wait for atleast 6 months after its release before I buy it.
I was not happy after rushing out to buy RTW.
Prehaps i would have liked it had i have waited, So this time i will.

:2thumbsup:

pyradyn
01-23-2006, 10:04
I agree that they made the right choice besides only two real option remain far east and Americas you dont want them to rush and end the choices do you. Besides now i can actualy have a Pope in power and comand the catholics MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA right sorry. anyway now we can get even more in depth I love MTW the battles are good but camera contols and the fact it looked like paper dolls lol but its good. Hey NTW will have an easy time making NTW3 with this one since the gunpowder graphics will be in there.:laugh4:

player1
01-23-2006, 11:58
By the way what anybody thinks would be theme for expansion?

It could either be going back to Dark Ages, or introducing renessance in full glory (pikes, muskets, cannons, cavalry).

AquaLurker
01-23-2006, 21:22
Great graphics...

Wonder how bad will it lag in MP this time before a new patch.

Errr boring europe map again...yeah...I feel so "excited"

Maybe the expansion will be called, MTW2: mongol ownage 2? Sounds too asian perhaps...

Pray for a decent AI we should...

The only thing that caught my attention is new multiplayer features...I truely wish they meant "option to set different victory conditions"...or it will be glassy flatland all over again and again and again and again...

hellas1
01-24-2006, 01:31
Hey All,

Personally, I'm glad they remade MTW. 3d is the way to go.
I don't what all the poo-pooing is about?
Better graphics, richer environment, etc.?
Whaaaaaa, no Napoleonic wars!
Napoleon was one person, no mainstream game should be built around one person, mods yes, games no. Not good game nor business sense.

I bought STW & MTW, good for their time, better with new graphics and CA experienced input.

MTW NEEDED to be redone. It's just too good of a time period to not to re-address with the new 3d tech that's available. 2d sprites suck, period!
Insofar as an expansion is concerned for MTW2, I think it should be dealing with "Arab" kingdoms and their interaction with Europe (Moors in the west, Khwarazmian empire in the east for example.)

Next, a Renaissance TW NEEDS to be done. Too many good things in that time period. This is where a Napoleonic expansion should occur.

China TW should follow also in my opinion to include neighboring countries, ex. Tibet, Cambodia, Laos, Okinawa, Indonesian Islands, etc. cool?

Finally, STW SHOULD be redone with a romish engine, definitely after a Chinese TW. I loved the Mongols. Perhaps a "steppe" like empire TW should come out also. 2d sprites and no zooming down ability into the army's level like in RTW sucks X 2!!!!

Sounds complete? I think so. :2thumbsup:

Basileus
01-24-2006, 05:25
I think its the perfect era for the game, this will make me get back into totalwar heh...cant wait to try this :2thumbsup:

Martok
01-24-2006, 06:54
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! [Martok runs naked through the fields]

Yeah, I'm a little psyched up for this game. ~:rolleyes: ~D I must admit to being surprised, however--albeit pleasantly so. For all the pissing and moaning I've done about hoping for a sequel to Medieval, never in a million years did I think they'd actually make it!

hellas1
01-26-2006, 04:49
Hey All,

Does anyone REALLY think MTW2 will be out this year?

BTW, I really hope STW is redone. Too cool of an era, guys and gals!

Thank you CA for a redone MTW with 3D....YAAAAAAAAAAY :2thumbsup:
Now the tactics get bumped up in a more vivid way, I love 3D tactics.

Martok, let us pray to the programming gods........................for a kicka** game!!!!!!!!!!

Shahed
01-26-2006, 06:44
Gameplay is the most important thing. But the graphics here are absolutely stunning. Incredible. STILL!!! FOCUS ON THE GAMEPLAY CA !!

Martok
01-26-2006, 10:24
Hey All,

Does anyone REALLY think MTW2 will be out this year?

Oh yeah, I'm pretty confident they'll have it released sometime around Halloween/Thanksgiving. Pretty much all of the Total War games and expansion packs have been released late Fall; CA has been very consistent in this regard.

Martok, let us pray to the programming gods........................for a kicka** game!!!!!!!!!!

I'll drink to that! ~:cheers:

HenryLet
01-26-2006, 13:33
Does anyone know the PC requirements to run this game, cos I have a 1.5 Ghz fast PC with only 256 MB of Ram memory!!:dizzy2:

Gen_Lee
01-26-2006, 15:31
Lets face it, it MIItw will be as expected the last game Ca does based on Rtw engine perhaps they'll do what they did with Mtw, helping modders teams.
Then it wil be the time for some amazing Tc's.
But if not the Napoleonic period at least a late mediaval one, where light firearms really started to make a difference while old weapons where still wisily used.

lanky316
01-26-2006, 17:41
Hey All,

Whaaaaaa, no Napoleonic wars!
Napoleon was one person, no mainstream game should be built around one person, mods yes, games no. Not good game nor business sense.

Although I'm salivating at the prospect of MTW2 due to it being my favourite time period. The next step could easily be Imperialism : Total War (WIP name...) Although Napoleon was one name the period of time could be expanded over his campaigns. In the hundred years either way of his conquests you had true "global" powers for the first time. You had the rise of America (inluding their independence), the Zulu wars, the traditional European conflicts and it would be a great excuse for us to finally get a high quality naval combat element!

MTW2 should be awesome with this engine but modifications to the engine for a follow up and this time period is one that could make an awesome game!