PDA

View Full Version : The Ilsamiren Wars and MII:TW

Ilsamir Lord
01-21-2006, 08:19
Hi guys!

Everyone probably knows this already, but Medieval II: Total War has been officially announced as the next game in the TW series and is slated for release late this year.

What does this have to do with IW you say? Well, as we have no models as yet, and only an amateur modeller (at R:TW that is), why are wondering whether we should be developing for Rome: TW BI or for MII:TW instead.

As the engines are the same, just with higher levels of detail, we think that we will be able to do a lot of the work before the game is released and therefore have a working demo of the mod done for the new game within a month of its release.

This is of course all based on the assumption that the new engine will work in the same basic way as Rome's, meaning that to get the demo done will require some skeleton modifying and coding only.

Until we decide, we'll be working on the Oblivion version and on all the common elements between the two versions of the mod, like concept art, music and writing, so stayed tuned to our thread here and our own forums (click on my signiature banner).

Thanks for any opinions or information!

professorspatula
01-22-2006, 02:39
I was under the impression that MTWII's units have individual heads, bodies etc so you can have multiple versions of the same unit. That suggests it won't be a just be a case of porting over the same models and skins et al to get your mod up and running with the new game. I think you should just concentrate on what you know for now. You still don't know nine-twelve months down the line what state your mod will be in.

Ilsamir Lord
01-22-2006, 03:59
True enough, but it is the same engine, as you are no doubt aware. I always like to be optimistic, and my mod has gained a fair bit of interest so far. We are in a bit of a bind though, simply because we will probably not have a working version before MII comes out, and it would be a shame to make a mod which is essentially in a medieval European setting without using the resources of the next game.

Lord Winter
01-22-2006, 05:47
You have a year get out a version on BI first

Lentonius
01-25-2006, 16:24
I am also torn between this, however mods are still popular for medieval nowadays, so people will still play it.

Also, if the engine is the same as RTW you could then make it for M2:TW, but if you make all the models now and realise its engine is different you're screwed...

good luck anyway:2thumbsup:

kataphraktoi
01-25-2006, 16:48
Ilsamir, read my proposal in our forums?