PDA

View Full Version : mod

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-22-2006, 00:13
Can I be the first to pre-emptively suggest a more accurate mod along the lines of EB?

Geoffrey S
01-22-2006, 00:16
Modellers are already lacking or hard to find for even the larger RTW mods, let alone for a game with so many individual soldiers such as MTW2 seems to be. I wonder how this would pan out.

Rilder
01-22-2006, 01:06
I petition Medieval II: Total Realism!!

ajaxfetish
01-22-2006, 01:10
I'm hoping the things I'd want fixed will be in the game already without needing a mod, but I'm also hoping they make the game mod-friendly so any unrealism problems can be dealt with and so the game can be customized to different time periods or playing styles as with the original Medieval.

Ajax

Monarch
01-22-2006, 11:12
I'm being optimistic, I dont want a mod, I want a good game first.

But as already said modding the new game would probably take alot more time than Rome, thus there will probably be not alot of full conversion mods.

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 11:49
I imagine there won't be need for such mods (unless of course you're a stickler for accuracy). If CA have learnt anything, ridiculous units such as Druids and Head-Hurlers do not go down well with the community. This time they'll probably read their books, and make one of the most accurate games ever, and it will have a glorious reign of a thousand years and just as many awards!

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-22-2006, 16:48
I got a severe hint of "Braveheart" Scotland. I fear that they will deliberately make an ahistorical Scotland for marketing purposes, like the Egyptians in RTW.

This is one concern already.

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-22-2006, 17:27
Jesus we know nothing about the games yet lads, lets wait a few months before we start on the modding talks:laugh4:

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-22-2006, 19:51
seriously though, one of the few interviews already mentions wild highland clansmen (or something along those lines).

Lord Armbandit
01-23-2006, 02:05
I've got no problem with wild highland clansmen, as long as they add a bit of fun and aren't (too) ridiculous. You can always mod individual units out (so far in the series anyway) or so I understand, if they bother you.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-23-2006, 15:16
You can always mod individual units out (so far in the series anyway) or so I understand, if they bother you.

That's why I started this thread about modding it.

Zenith Darksea
01-23-2006, 15:20
Yes, I too am very worried about Scotland. For instance, it says in the press release that you'll start off with England 'breathing down your neck'. This is rubbish. In 1080 England and Scotland were very much at peace and on good terms.

VikingHorde
01-23-2006, 15:34
I might make a MTW2 mod with 30 factions, if there is only 21 factions in the game. It all depends on how modable MTW2 is, so it might not be possible to add any more factions :juggle2: . We will see once the game comes out ~;)

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-23-2006, 16:00
Yes, I too am very worried about Scotland. For instance, it says in the press release that you'll start off with England 'breathing down your neck'. This is rubbish. In 1080 England and Scotland were very much at peace and on good terms.

yeah, it sounds pretty dodgy for Scotland at the moment.

zakalwe
01-23-2006, 18:05
''Yes, I too am very worried about Scotland. For instance, it says in the press release that you'll start off with England 'breathing down your neck'. This is rubbish. In 1080 England and Scotland were very much at peace and on good terms.''

Come on ... CA has to take so much flak.

England was certainly breathing down Scotland's neck.

Malcolm staged 5 major raids into Northumbria during his reign - in 1061, 1070, 1079, 1091 and 1093.

In retaliation, in 1072 William took a great army with an accompanying fleet up through Lothian into Fife. At Abernethy he forced Malcolm into paying homage to him and giving his son as hostage.

In 1079, Malcolm once again raided into England. In 1080 (NOTE - the year the game starts) William's son, Robert, struck back into Scotland forcing a renewal of the Abernethy terms at Falkirk and arranging more hostages.) Later that year the English began work on a new castle on the Tyne.

Sooooo Scotland and England were 'on good terms' and 'very much at peace'?

It is 'rubbish' to say that England would be breathing down your neck as Scotland?

Please let's at least see what CA do first before unfairly tearing into them

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-23-2006, 19:28
I got the impression that Malcolm III kept starting it so it would be more like Scotland breathing down England's neck.

Edit: so assuming the game starts at the beginning of 1080 then the English faction would have the choice to retaliate or not so it's not quite starting with England breathing down Scotland's neck, but with the option of doing so.

Edit: I raised the issues for potential modding because 1. if certain features do not turn out how I like them I want to see who else may want to alter them and 2. because I know that the TW team does actually listen, remember how terrible and Conan The Destroyer-like the RTW barbarian factions looked until people raised the issue and the TW team fixed it (to a certain extent anyway). So not a gratuitous be mean at the new game before we even see it thread.

zakalwe
01-23-2006, 19:49
William with his highly militarised force had strolled right into the very heart of the Scottish kingdom all the way to Abernethy only 8 years earlier. It was only because Malcolm submitted to him that battle wasn't forced. Scotland spent the next 600 years with England breathing down its neck. The only threat to Scotland's existence that came to the nation for this period came from England (i personally won't count the Norse who by this period weren't a threat to the existence of the nation). Even today we feel that breath from the south on our necks in Scotland.

Now we can argue about the semantics of what 'breathing down the neck' might mean, but it's a bit pointless. England is going to be sitting at the start of the game with large forces near the Scottish border. I don't think that it's fair to have a go at CA over this one comment. Whether by taking direct aggressive action, preparing defences or using diplomacy, the game as the Scottish faction is going to be dictated in the early stages by the relationship with England.

eta - don't get me wrong. I have worries over the depiction of the Scottish army. It must be a very nice easy and tempting way to go - producing a 'barbarian'-type army of tartaned savages. Fingers crossed though.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-23-2006, 20:10
yeah, primarily the depiction of it was what worried me.

the interpretation of "breathing down the neck" bothered me a little as it could be interpreted in so many ways.

If it just meant, Scottish forces in England, England swats them away and makes them quit then yes. If it means permanent conquest imminent then no.

I'll count you as on board then Zakalwe.

zakalwe
01-23-2006, 20:40
One interesting potential feature with the Scots that i would be surprised if CA implemented is that in 1080, Scotland was just on the verge of a shift away from a Gaelic/Celtic kingdom towards becoming a feudal Normanised kingdom.

Now TW is all about creating your own history. One interesting thing would be to offer the player the choice of going that way or of remaining a more Celtic kingdom. This could be done by giving a single event=based choice in which you would go one way or the other influencing your future culture, build options, unit roster, etc. Either that or by using a simpler system similar to the Pagan/ Christian build option in BI - this would mean you have a one or other build option which would give you certain units - Normanised knights or Gaelic nobles perhaps?

CA hasn't really offered this choice in other TW games apart from the BI Christian or Pagan Empire option. It would be quite interesting to have developed a 14th century Celtic Scotland in which the troop roster wouldn't have been based on the spear schiltron formation. Perhaps it would be getting slightly ahistorical but is an interesting thought nonetheless. I mentioned this and Ranika expanded on it in a thread at .com - http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessage?topicID=217.topic

Justiciar
01-23-2006, 21:11
As long as the Scots aren't portrayed as 100% hairy, unwashed, kilt-wearing, woad-dyed, all heroic, noble savages.. I'm fine with it.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-23-2006, 21:39
Zakalwe: Ranika and I discussed this in the totalwar official forums. look for a thread under "Gaelic Regionals".

Martok
01-24-2006, 07:06
As long as the Scots aren't portrayed as 100% hairy, unwashed, kilt-wearing, woad-dyed, all heroic, noble savages.. I'm fine with it.

Aw, but I want to be a hairy, unwashed, kilt-wearing, woad-dyed, heroic (yet noble) savage! [pouts] ~D I mean, c'mon; who *wouldn't* want to re-enact all of Mel Gibson--er, I mean, William Wallace's--greatest moments? ~;)

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-24-2006, 13:40
Martok: I want road warriors too

Justiciar
01-24-2006, 20:32
Pfft.. William Wallace was a soft middle-class lowlander from a privilaged background who happened to lead Scotish armies once or twice. The only Scot who truly handed the English throne it's own arse on a platter at that time was Robert, and he wasn't by any means a scruffy-lookin' brigand. I'll burn the CA HQ if the Scots start each battle with a cry of "Thie cin' take aar lives, but thie cin'nae take aar friedum!".. *Shudders* The sad thing is, I can acctually imagine them doing it.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
01-24-2006, 20:39
wasn't Robert from the South-West, just like Wallace?

But yeah, Braveheart speech is ripe for the picking. I'm looking forward to hearing the new speeches either way.

I'd be very impressed if they did it in contemporary languages but I doubt that ALOT.

Krusader
01-24-2006, 20:41
I for one hope the game is good.

And I for one, hope it will be less restrictive with modding the game than RTW is. The model limit, unit limit and above all faction limit should be increased.
Basically CA should make it easier to mod the game, because if Half-Life has taught us anything, it is that MODs give increased longevity to games and increases revenue.

But then again, some publishers want there to be no MODs, as the MODs are free and they want you to rather play their next games...

caio giulio
01-24-2006, 21:09
I hope we won't a need to correct bugs ore problems like in Rome... but only mods that change the period (Napoleonic, Ancient Rome, Egypt....)

Is this an utopia??

Antiochius
01-25-2006, 13:18
i think yes, they will make surely a version with a lot of mistakes.

caio giulio
01-25-2006, 14:31

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Ludens
01-25-2006, 20:23
Since they will probably use the Rome engine, it will be less buggy than its predecessor. And anyway, if they patch it as well as they did R:TW the bugs are not going to bother me much. I do, however, second Krusader's request.

Antiochius
01-25-2006, 20:29
i had to wait for the Patch 1.2 before i could play! Because of that i havn`t such a good opinion about this