PDA

View Full Version : Expansion: Napoleonic Invasion?

caspian
01-22-2006, 08:25
Any ideas what *Invasion* the expansion will be?

Simmons
01-22-2006, 08:52
I'd say Napoleonic is a good bet having guns at the end of MIITW gives CA time to play around with them and if they get them wrong in the original release they can get them right in the Expansion.

Having guns at the end of the time period helps with that possibility to.

Lentonius
01-22-2006, 10:00
or possible the arrival of the europeans at the americas...

ajaxfetish
01-22-2006, 10:30
Hmmm . . . game ends in 1530 . . . Napoleon shows up about 1800 . . . 270 years between the action of the main game and the expansion seems a bit much. There's room for another whole game or two in between.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Napoleon come in on the next full game, but I think the expansion to Medieval 2 will (and certainly should) have at least something to do with the Middle Ages! ~:)
Could be Ottomans, or back to Vikings, or a complete surprise, but I'd like to see something to bring the Dark Ages into the game. The first half of the Middle Ages keeps getting overlooked.

Ajax

Monarch
01-22-2006, 11:10
Hmmm . . . game ends in 1530 . . . Napoleon shows up about 1800 . . . 270 years between the action of the main game and the expansion seems a bit much. There's room for another whole game or two in between.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Napoleon come in on the next full game, but I think the expansion to Medieval 2 will (and certainly should) have at least something to do with the Middle Ages! ~:)
Could be Ottomans, or back to Vikings, or a complete surprise, but I'd like to see something to bring the Dark Ages into the game. The first half of the Middle Ages keeps getting overlooked.

Ajax

Logic would point to a revamp of VI. But I would hope they shoot a little higher, something new.

Just a history question, my knowledge of the era is limited at best. The Ottoman Empire was Turkey and Syria, Iraq all those sort of countries correct? Well aren't the Turks already in it (M2TW)? What is the difference between The Turks and the Ottomans?

Zawath
01-22-2006, 12:14
Definately it's the invasion of America. The original game is going to have the Aztecs and you are able to sail to the new world so the most logical thing to do would be to expand this feature in the expansion and add even more Indian factions.

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 12:17
Most definitely either the conquering of the America's, in which the Spanish and Portugese will probably play a big part, along with the Spanish Armada and England's victory over them, or just continuing with Europe, but showing the renaissance, and gunpowder's eventual overtaking of the sword.

Sand
01-22-2006, 12:25
Maybe theyll do Shogun as the rehash expansion pack? Theyll need a new map to represent Japan, but that would be less work than the Americas. Same with cultural voice packs and symbols etc etc. Theyve already done the historical research for the first game. Time saved there. And the unit/building tech trees are less time consuming than what would be required for doing a New World option. It would be relatively quicker than a lot of other options and would get all the rehashes out of the way.

caspian
01-22-2006, 12:28
An idea could be expanding the Mongol Invasion.
Start from Temujin's rise as Mongol leader(1206) to the fall of the Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty(1368).
Extend the map to cover the East.
Campaign map would stretch from the Californias to the Japans.

But I know its just wishful thinking... :stupido2:

doc_bean
01-22-2006, 12:45
Probably the conquest of the Americas, it would also give them a chance to have a different type of map again (aren't they tired of Europe after MTW, RTW,BI and now MTWII ?).

But a feudal Japan expansion pack would be awesome...

Mithrandir
01-22-2006, 13:05
Most likely the expansion pack won't be a whole lot different from the first game, meaning no NTW,since that'll be mostly gunpowder...

KSEG
01-22-2006, 13:27
Theyve already done the historical research for the first game.

No, they didn't.

TB666
01-22-2006, 14:11
Conquering of Americas.
Napoleonic era needs naval battles and I think we will have to wait for a new engine for that.

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-22-2006, 14:16
It'll probably be 'New World Conquest' or something along those lines but I think the game should have ended earlier than 1530 and then the expansion could have been the 'Ottoman Invasion' instead.

The Darkhorn
01-22-2006, 14:56
I wish they would step backward and do Charlemagne...a very neglected subject in board and PC games.

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-22-2006, 14:59
Yes a 'Dark Age' expansion would be good too, although I can't help but feel that after the 'Viking Invasion' CA won't want to make the expansion that similar. IMO the actual game should have started off at 800AD.

Antiochius
01-22-2006, 17:26
Just a history question, my knowledge of the era is limited at best. The Ottoman Empire was Turkey and Syria, Iraq all those sort of countries correct? Well aren't the Turks already in it (M2TW)? What is the difference between The Turks and the Ottomans?
The Turkeys are the Ottoman. The Ottoman empire was leaded by the Turkeys.
The empire exists til 1918-22. Syria and the Iraq belongs to turkey til 1918

I guess the expansion pack^will play in america.

EDIT: i have remarked that the Ottman empire was founded in the middle of the 14 century that means you can`t play it in 10xx

EDIT 2: perhabs the crusader war as expansion pack

TheSilverKnight
01-22-2006, 17:36
I think the most logical choice for an expansion would be to expand the game going from 1530-1783, this way covering the period of colonisation in the Americas, the 30 years war, wars of succession, 7 years war, then the American revolution (emerging faction in New England province? ~;) )

At least that's what I hope they do

Orda Khan
01-22-2006, 20:20
Napoleonic????? No thanks.

........Orda

Dooz
01-22-2006, 23:18
Medieval II: European Invasion

Lord Armbandit
01-23-2006, 01:25
I think the most logical choice for an expansion would be to expand the game going from 1530-1783, this way covering the period of colonisation in the Americas, the 30 years war, wars of succession, 7 years war, then the American revolution (emerging faction in New England province? ~;) )

At least that's what I hope they do

Damn it, I keep looking down these boards for something original to say and someone always beats me to it! I agree entirely with SilverKnight on this one, 1530-1783 would rock!

Only problem I can see would be length of the period (the expansions have all been pretty short so far)

Big inevitable theme would be conquest of america, so to keep it fun it could end up being any faction that wins over there, there is also a lot of tactical and strategic difference between the troops at the start and close of the period.

Alternatively, there could be a dark ages expansion, but covering the whole of Europe instead of just focusing on the British Isles - we can have serious Muslim expansion, Vikings, Charlemagne. Could be very very good, and if Napoleonic is the next full game after MTW2, perhaps the bits up to 17th/18th century would be better off attached to that?

Rodion Romanovich
01-23-2006, 17:09
Perhaps Arabic invasion? Could be quite interesting with the khaliphate(s), the Franks, the Visigothic Spain, the berber tribes, the declining Sassanid empire, the Byzantines and the Khazar khaganate. Other possibilities are ottoman invasion, viking invasion (maybe with larger map which would make AoVaF mod partly obsolte ~:( ), invasion of the Americas, or Mongol invasion (although that's already in MTW2 main game so perhaps not too likely...). Or maybe it'll be something totally unexpected...?

Samurai Fanatic
01-23-2006, 17:31
Perhaps they may just do the rennesance (cant remember how to spell:wall: )like citadel total war are doing or even when portugal finally found japan in the Sengekou Jidai period to revive Shogun:tw as well

HalfThere
01-24-2006, 01:25
I really want a Swedish Invasion expansion.

Reenk Roink
01-24-2006, 03:39
It's gonna deal with the New World...

Grifman
01-24-2006, 04:14
or possible the arrival of the europeans at the americas...

Yep, that's it, either "Spanish Invasion" focuing on the Spanish Conquest or "New World Invasion" with the Spanish, Portuguese, English, French, and Dutch competing against various Indian factions.

Salazar
01-24-2006, 06:01
I think "turkish invasion" or however they may name it is not unlikely.
Also it would really be my preferred setting.

Perplexed
01-24-2006, 06:31
Maybe they'll pull a Shogun on us with an invasion that "might have happened", like the Mongols reaching Japan in STW. I hope not. I like my campaigns grounded in reality, thank you.