PDA

View Full Version : Walls

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 11:46
Yes, Mikeus has another question. In MTW2, will we be seeing a return to the small walls of MTW, or keeping the ridiculously large walls of RTW, which look like a grey version of the white cliffs of Dover?

And also, will the walls be like the original MTW (unscaleable) or like RTW (scaleable)?

Hambut_bulge
01-22-2006, 11:59
Looking at the screenshots from IGN (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/800327/img_3334164.html) those walls look pretty big. Haven't seen any shots of towers or ladders yet, but since this is based on the RTW engine, I can't imagine CA would suddenly make walls unscalable.

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 12:13
Looking at the screenshots from IGN (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/800327/img_3334164.html) those walls look pretty big. Haven't seen any shots of towers or ladders yet, but since this is based on the RTW engine, I can't imagine CA would suddenly make walls unscalable.

Those walls look quite realistic compared to RTW walls. After all, the largest castles of the period had walls about that size, if not bigger!

And what i mean by scaleable is archers on the walls.

Dutch_guy
01-22-2006, 12:44
I would think they'd make the walls scaleable, I mean why not ?

Would be really exiting scaling 3 rings of walls, then destroying the last enemy resistance with your now veteran feudal men at arms !

:balloon2:

GaugamelaTC
01-22-2006, 12:47
I don't want to stretch too far off topic, but more walls got give the modding community more choice with settlements. Especially for LOTR,(Minas Tirith, Helms Deep). Obviously there would also be some other interesting things to do with multiple walls modding wise.

As for the questtion I'm certain they will be scaleable, otherwise it will be ridiculous having great looking walls, but noone can stand on them.

lancelot
01-22-2006, 15:33
Historically, walls only got shorter when gunpowder seige weapons became more common.

High walls are good for stopping ladders but bad for seige guns, so walls became lower and thicker as time progressed...

Furthermore, my proffesors at uni state that most evidence shows that any form of seige other than mining was a medieval rareity rather than commonplace...

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 15:36
Historically, walls only got shorter when gunpowder seige weapons became more common.

High walls are good for stopping ladders but bad for seige guns, so walls became lower and thicker as time progressed...

Furthermore, my proffesors at uni state that most evidence shows that any form of seige other than mining was a medieval rareity rather than commonplace...

Shhh! You'll spoil our fun!

_Aetius_
01-22-2006, 16:01
I think some degree of customizing walls would be good, every city didnt have identical walls to each other like in RTW, "epic walls" for example all looked identical. You should be able to design them to an extent, not that dissimilar from formations in battle.

There should be levels of fortification, archers should exactly have to be placed in the towers for towers to fire etc I think sieges really need improvement if MTW2 is going to be a success.

boastj
01-22-2006, 19:05
I like ridiculously large walls

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 19:52
I like ridiculously large walls

Well you shouldn't They're hardly accurate. The tallest walls of ancient times were Rome's, and they were about as tall as your average house, rather than as tall as Mount Everest.

Justiciar
01-24-2006, 03:02
If it starts around 1080 then massive 60 foot walls that are 20 foot thick wouldn't be accurate for most European factions (to begin with). M:TW did walls/castles almost perfeck'ly.

Reenk Roink
01-24-2006, 04:30
Well you shouldn't They're hardly accurate. The tallest walls of ancient times were Rome's, and they were about as tall as your average house, rather than as tall as Mount Everest.

Cool, do you have a book or website that you suggest? Need to brush up on my Roman Architecture...

ajaxfetish
01-24-2006, 08:28
Some of the ancient cities, such as Babylon, are reported as having gi-normous walls. The size'd be much more practical by our period, though (both Roman and medieval walls).

Ajax

sapi
01-24-2006, 08:38
I would think they'd make the walls scaleable, I mean why not ?

Would be really exiting scaling 3 rings of walls, then destroying the last enemy resistance with your now veteran feudal men at arms !

:balloon2:Agreed - that would be awesome!