PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with this picture?

boastj
01-22-2006, 13:34
Look
http://www.tothegame.com/sshotfeat.asp?screen=6125&pic=1

Is it me or is that a phalanx in the front ranks I thought they when out when Rome invaded Greece

TB666
01-22-2006, 13:52
Those are pikeman.
If they will go into phalanx formation however we will have to wait and see.

lancelot
01-22-2006, 15:15
There is nothing wrong with that picture man....where is the smiley for drooling...?

TinCow
01-22-2006, 16:21
Pikemen = dead cavalry

Geoffrey S
01-22-2006, 16:23
Long pointed sticks in close formation isn't exactly an innovative strategy unique to the classical days.

King Ragnar
01-22-2006, 16:46
They are pikemen, just like in MTW the pikemen lined up like that. Therefore instead of saying what is wrong lets say what is right with it ~D

The Darkhorn
01-22-2006, 18:44
They look great, but I never get around to using them much. I end up pretty happy with Halbs, CMAA, and maybe some left over Huscarles.

Mikeus Caesar
01-22-2006, 18:47
They look great, but I never get around to using them much. I end up pretty happy with Halbs, CMAA, and maybe some left over Huscarles.

I used Pikemen quite alot, i made it mandatory that all my armies carry around at least two units of Swiss Armoured Pikemen. They really gave me an edge over the evil armies of the East!

boastj
01-22-2006, 19:07
Arr so it not a phalanx its pikemen with bloody large pikes thanks for clearing that up

:laugh4:

ajaxfetish
01-22-2006, 23:27
The pic that has me scratching my head is the one of the trebuchets, with the inertia-defying rocks. How are they staying there with only one end of the sling attached to the throwing arm? Shouldn't the centrifugal force be flinging them backward at that point? Am I just seeing this wrong, or are they actually defying the laws of physics?

Ajax

Lord Armbandit
01-23-2006, 01:18
The pic that has me scratching my head is the one of the trebuchets, with the inertia-defying rocks. How are they staying there with only one end of the sling attached to the throwing arm? Shouldn't the centrifugal force be flinging them backward at that point? Am I just seeing this wrong, or are they actually defying the laws of physics?

Ajax

Nope, that is quite correct.

boastj
01-23-2006, 01:52
its a game the rock can go wherever it wants as long as it hits the intended target.

pyradyn
01-23-2006, 09:46
You cant diss the last Mele unit in the histoy of Europe. Besides i dont care if you have a gun if it dosnt blow up in your face try attacking Pikemen when you run out of muskets and only killed a few. But the Flintlock ended the Pikemen. They just had to upgrade from Matchlock. And the Pike was a 16 foot tall spear infact Rtw is wrong that the Greek Phalanx didnt carry that big of spears more like oh 10 feet. How they managed to carry that at nearly the base i dono i didnt live back then.

Rodion Romanovich
01-23-2006, 16:57
Pikemen are wonderful, especially when my enemies keep them after I've modernized my armies with light cannons and muskets.

Doug-Thompson
01-23-2006, 17:46
Re: Flintlock ended pikemen.

To quibble just a bit, what really ended pikemen was the invention of the bayonet.

Ironside
01-23-2006, 18:31

Ajax

Well at current trejectory and position based on physics tells us that somebody is going to get a headache in that pic :laugh4:

Considering that it looks as a quite accurate picture, but the current angle is very wrong (the trebuchet drops the stone close to the maximum height), is it quite likely that this is something that we don't have to bother ourself with. Most likely fixed later on.

pyradyn
01-23-2006, 18:38
True the bayonte was devistating to them. But at least they went out after the Knight who couldnt win agianst anyone. Musket or Pike :P

Just A Girl
01-23-2006, 19:46
hell knights trample over muskets in my book.
provided you get em from the side, when there not looking and there are no pike men close to the opponets muskets.

and prehaps you send a few pesants out as cannon fodder to draw some musket fire.

Just A Girl
01-23-2006, 19:54
AH HA.
I just found the next button and found the pick of the trebuchay.

Most definatly a lil mistake there...
tThe line thats still atatched to the trebuchay should be the one releasing.
And the one that detatched should still be attached.

In that pic Its defying the laws of physics in a number of ways.

But the bigest way i can see, Is the fact that the detached line could not have come loose without 1st detaching the line thats still atached.

Casmin
01-24-2006, 02:15
Look
http://www.tothegame.com/sshotfeat.asp?screen=6125&pic=1

Is it me or is that a phalanx in the front ranks I thought they when out when Rome invaded Greece

There's nothing wrong with that picture. Pikemen became repopularized during the medieval period.

Zain
01-24-2006, 03:49
I agree, there is nothing wrong with that pic. It does look like an exciting battle though :smile:

-ZainDustin

Perplexed
01-24-2006, 04:04
True the bayonte was devistating to them. But at least they went out after the Knight who couldnt win agianst anyone. Musket or Pike :P

Um, no. The bayonet was the end of the pike because it combined both pike and musket into one efficient system. Therefore, no more need for pikes.

And what's wrong with the picture is the fact that the cavalry have no stirrups. Rather silly, really.

ajaxfetish
01-24-2006, 08:24
Considering that it looks as a quite accurate picture, but the current angle is very wrong (the trebuchet drops the stone close to the maximum height), is it quite likely that this is something that we don't have to bother ourself with. Most likely fixed later on.
Yeah, that's part of why it gets me. The rest of the picture looks so good and so detailed that I do a doubletake when I look at the sling. Gah!

Ajax

Trajanus
01-24-2006, 09:26
And what's wrong with the picture is the fact that the cavalry have no stirrups. Rather silly, really.

I didn't notice that but its true. I hope they put stirrups in the game, otherwise the cav just look silly.

pyradyn
01-24-2006, 09:53
There is nothing wrong with that trebuchay because its in the middle of firing. Cintrifical Force keeps the ball in the sack with a few elements im sure until it is flung forward. Now if it wasnt firing then by all means yes that defies physics.

Please correct me if wrong but i know it is firing because the counter weight is floating is halfway down.

Ironside
01-24-2006, 13:02
There is nothing wrong with that trebuchay because its in the middle of firing. Cintrifical Force keeps the ball in the sack with a few elements im sure until it is flung forward. Now if it wasnt firing then by all means yes that defies physics.

Please correct me if wrong but i know it is firing because the counter weight is floating is halfway down.

To have Cintrifical Force for that stone, both ropes needs to be attached. Something needs to apply force on the stone to make it go in a cicular movement.

Just A Girl covered most errors in that pic, but as I said, probably stuff that gets fixed later on. That's includes the stir-ups

caio giulio
01-24-2006, 21:23
I'm a bit more worried about thi picture: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/800327/img_3334162.html

Are the cannons flying?? How can they shot if the rear of the cannon is flying??

TB666
01-24-2006, 22:08
I'm a bit more worried about thi picture: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/800327/img_3334162.html

Are the cannons flying?? How can they shot if the rear of the cannon is flying??
The crew is lifting it up probably to move it.

caio giulio
01-25-2006, 14:26
The crew is lifting it up probably to move it.
I hope...... because the trebuchets are firing....

And .. it doesn't look like the crew is moving the cannons... I hope I'm wrong.

TosaInu
01-26-2006, 15:51
I'ld say the pikes are wrong in this picture.

The picture doesn't look like 16th/17th century. Pikes were this huge in that era. Mainly (?) because there were many efficient smoothbore guns (the boom was efficient and it could kill at times too). These musketeers were very static, slow and vulnerable for enemy cavalry charges while reloading. That's why an extreme solid and static pikewall was required. And that's why pikes got so tall. A very long polearm isn't great in normal melee.

Pikes in the 13th/14th century weren't this tall.

A similar development took place in Japanese warfare. Initially, yariashigaru had spears as tall as a samurais, 3-4 meters. When arquebusses became common, the ashigaru pike started to grow up to 5.6 meters (some 18 ft).

Correct me when I'm wrong, please. It won't be the first time :book: .

King Noob the Stupid
01-26-2006, 16:37
Perhaps it's a picture of a battle with units you'll be able to build near the end of the game, I think the cannons look quite modern too. I have no idea of real late medieval warfare, but I think in fact it's the knights in the foreground what's a little anachronistic on the pic.

TosaInu
01-26-2006, 17:55
I do not see cannons in that first picture King Noob the Stupid? Ah, now I do: your eyes rock. I agree, those knights are out of place. I like the (small) variations in their outfit to avoid clones.

The knights are chainmail, not full plate. If I had to guess: knights 12th century, pikes 16th.

The trebuchet [5] is indeed weird. The sling should open when the tip passed its heighest point and perhaps even a bit later than that.

[7] is interesting.
I like the not so static back of the infantrist on the right.
No stirrups indeed. I think RTW is used as starting point, no stirrups in that game, wasn't required either. Perhaps we'll see them in a later build.
Horses seem to look better.

Mikeus Caesar
01-26-2006, 18:23
No stirrups indeed. I think RTW is used as starting point, no stirrups in that game, wasn't required either. Perhaps we'll see them in a later build.
Horses seem to look better.

I think stirrups were invented by Red Indians in America, so there weren't any stirrups about in Medieval Europe. I think they gained popularity in the 18th-19th century.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i just remember reading a book about warfare when i was about 10, so the information has become a bit fragmented over the years.

EDIT: That information is definately fragmented. I googled it, and it would appear stirrups originated either from China or Steppe Nomads, and reached Europe in the 700's. My only problem was i put the origin of stirrups on the wrong side of the world, and said they reached Europe a thousand years late.

Templar Knight
01-26-2006, 18:26
The first stirups came around the 5th century

Doug-Thompson
01-26-2006, 18:50
IIRC, the first recorded use of stirrups was in India, where they were just a convienence to help a rider get on the horse. They weren't used for anything in actually riding the horse, at least not at first.

There is some controversy about how important stirrups were. Some scholars argue that deep-seated saddles with backs on the are just as useful for making sure the rider doesn't fall out when a lance makes contact.

caio giulio
01-26-2006, 19:18
All'inizio del VIII secolo venne introdotto in Europa l'uso della staffa, che si rivelò essenziale per la cavalleria pesante. La staffa permetteva l'utilizzo delle lance al galoppo e impediva alla fanteria di disarcionare il cavaliere con troppa facilità

By wiky

Translation:

stirrups where introduced in Europe at the beginning of the VIII century