PDA

View Full Version : Religion

Ianofsmeg16
01-24-2006, 17:50
Ok, will the game include Protestants i.e. England etc during the later game.

I know it ends around 1530 something, but i'm not sure about the dates of the rise of protestantism, will it be included do you think?

King Ragnar
01-24-2006, 17:55
Hopefully it will.

Brutus
01-24-2006, 18:04
I believe the IGN interview mentions priest going 'heretic'. Historically, the real 'protetstantism' (barring earlier moevements like the Hussites, the Lollards, the Kathars and many more) didn't start until 1517, when Martin Luther made his protest known in Wittenberg. Henry VIII of England didn't actually renounce papal authority until the 1530's, and before that protestantism was still only a marginal (though quickly growing) force in governments. So I don't think it will be included.

Antiochius
01-24-2006, 19:59
i believe not. I`m Catholic and i would change my religion if it is possible

ajaxfetish
01-25-2006, 08:18
With the reformation just in its infancy at the very end of the gameplay they could include it, but it would have so little effect there'd be no reason to, or at least to give it any detail. And if it were to be included in a game it was a big enough upheaval (by far) to make some serious changes and deserve some serious time and development.

So I would say no, though as Brutus mentioned they may include some of the early stages under the heading of heretical movements.

Ajax

Keba
01-25-2006, 11:49
What I would love, and what I was thought was missing in Medieval 1, would be the possibility of turning your entire nation heretic.

It has to do with the what-ifs that all TW games are based on, and I would really like to have a chance (however small) to actually turn my nation to heresy, or to adopt another religion.

Kraxis
01-25-2006, 14:47
I ahve thought that perhaps if you let enough of your bishops go heretic then eventually one of them will slam a decree onto a churchdoor and we have a case of a Martin Luther (just put in the name of your Bishop)... Thus it would be less of a set date than a specific case of instances.

King Noob the Stupid
01-25-2006, 14:59
I really like this idea as it could be followed by a big rebellion of heretic peasants (like the peasant wars in Germany in the 1520s) and stuff like that, but I just don't think it'll be included in the game:juggle2:

King Henry V
01-25-2006, 17:45
The Confession of Augburg that structred and ordered the articles of the Protestant faith took place in 1530, the last year of the game (possibily why CA chose the date). Before that Protestantism was not much more than a heretic wave that passed before in Europe such as the Cathars (where the local nobility also decided to join the heretics). So I don't think they will include Protestantism.
But I do hope that you have the ability to change your state religion just as you can in BI (although maybe you could have a box to tick to convert your leader).
Although perhaps this time you can choose to allow religious tolerance (your standing with the Pope will fall) to your various religious minorities so that you don't have to face the head ache of thousands of suicidal zealots rebelling. What I didn't like in BI was that even if you allowed the newly conquered city's temple to remain and the locals to continue worshipping as they had done before, they still revolt after a while.
Well it's good to know that Total War teaches you the value of tolerance, peace and understanding...

TheSilverKnight
01-26-2006, 21:15
Ok, will the game include Protestants i.e. England etc during the later game.

I know it ends around 1530 something, but i'm not sure about the dates of the rise of protestantism, will it be included do you think?

Mass conversion of German states to Protestantism didn't begin until during the Schmaldic (sp?) league in the 1520's, and England didn't become Protestant until (past) the end of the game, in 1533. I don't think they're going to include Protestantism in the game, but I might be wrong.