PDA

View Full Version : 'Organize units'-button.

Herakleitos
01-26-2006, 13:44
Here's a function that I would REALLY like to see implemented in MTW2 (cause it has been bugging me since STW...):

A way to organize the unit-cards in an army.

Whether this is done with a button or by hand or both I don't care, but I would like to see what my army is made up off in a quick glance...

H.

Dooz
01-26-2006, 14:02
If you mean grouping same units next to eachother on the campmap, I'm all for it. I hate having to do military maneuvers, first moving this group of units, then joining that group, then this, etc. You can do this on the battlemap though by presssing the group button with the selected units. When you ungroup, the unit cards will still be grouped. Something similar to this would be nice.

It's weird too because you can drag the unit cards, but can't drop them anywhere but their original slot. You'd think the point of that would be to reorganize...

Herakleitos
01-27-2006, 10:47
Yes, that's what I mean. I only do this maneuvering on the campmap when I'm starting an invasion or when I'm tidying up my garrisons, a simple click or shortcut (like the one for 'merge armies') would be very nice.

Thanks for the 'group / ungroup' - tip for the battles btw, I rarely use groups so I didn't figure that one out.

:idea2:

Oaty
01-27-2006, 23:10
=

It's weird too because you can drag the unit cards, but can't drop them anywhere but their original slot. You'd think the point of that would be to reorganize...

Actually I understand the reason for it. If a unit is in a group and you throw it out it will be out of the group or you can quickly throw a unit that is either ungrouped or grouped into another group.

If you have no groups to put the unit card in, the card will go back to it's original position.

Also on the campaign map it's quite easy to reorganize. Select the units in the order you want them to show up and then right click to thier destination and they will all be in proper order

Dooz
01-28-2006, 01:31
Actually I understand the reason for it. If a unit is in a group and you throw it out it will be out of the group or you can quickly throw a unit that is either ungrouped or grouped into another group.

If you have no groups to put the unit card in, the card will go back to it's original position.

Also on the campaign map it's quite easy to reorganize. Select the units in the order you want them to show up and then right click to thier destination and they will all be in proper order

I meant the unit card dragging thing not having a point on the campmap because it does nothing. And as for reorganizing the units on the campmap, what you said is what I was referring to with this weird jumble of words: "I hate having to do military maneuvers, first moving this group of units, then joining that group, then this, etc."

Basically, what is desired here is to make it easier to group units on the campmap without having to move certain units in certain orders.

x-dANGEr
01-28-2006, 09:03
Not that it bothers me.. But such a 'function' would be good I think. Drag and drop.

sapi
01-28-2006, 09:36
I meant the unit card dragging thing not having a point on the campmap because it does nothing. And as for reorganizing the units on the campmap, what you said is what I was referring to with this weird jumble of words: "I hate having to do military maneuvers, first moving this group of units, then joining that group, then this, etc."

Basically, what is desired here is to make it easier to group units on the campmap without having to move certain units in certain orders.Yeh, this would be great, something like general/cavalry/infantry/archers/siege would be good...

Dooz
01-28-2006, 12:01
Yeh, this would be great, something like general/cavalry/infantry/archers/siege would be good...

But more detailed than that. The same units would automatically be placed next to eachother within those categories.

sapi
01-29-2006, 08:31
But more detailed than that. The same units would automatically be placed next to eachother within those categories.
I took that as a given, but yes...

Dooz
01-29-2006, 11:35
I took that as a given, but yes...

Ah... yes... woops :burnout:

hoom
01-31-2006, 06:23
Select the units in the order you want them to show up and then right click to thier destination and they will all be in proper orderGah!
That sounds depressingly like the kind of thing that has been there since STW but I only just heard of & I've been bothered for years for no good reason on account of its lack :juggle2:

Simple drag & drop reordering on campaign map & in battle would be my preference.
In battle there should be multiple nested groups with drag & drop re-ordering of groups, sub-groups and individual units.

<hopes someone is about to enlighten me that these are in fact possible in RTW>

Trajanus
01-31-2006, 06:33
I would like to see possible merging of units on the battlefield. Near the end of a battle, or if the enemy is just bringing on fresh reinforcements, I would like to be able to merge my 2 units of for example: 25 Chivalric Sargeants, and 35 Chivalric Sargeants into a new unit of 60 Chivalric Sargeants.

This would offer you the chance to bring on fresh reinforcements also without having to make your units of 1 - 5 men rout to free up card-space.

Vladimir
01-31-2006, 14:15
Maybe I'm daft but I would like an "Organize Formation" option which will allow me to have the army start out in a custom formation. I mostly use the same formation for all battles and hate having to spend the time to set them up before every battle.

Herakleitos
01-31-2006, 16:26
Oh yes! 'Save custom formation'... nice idea.

And reorganizing units on the battle field sounds very nice as well, it might even be an option that the AI could cope with...

hoom
02-01-2006, 05:05
Yeah, a formation set up section would be great.
Could be done with maximum functionality out of the actual game, probably accessible from the Options section.
Could work kind of like a custom battle.

First bit:
Drop down menu driven a-la custom battle/Mech warrior custom load out
Options such as
Select faction/culture
Name the formation
Select template ie from pre-existing formations
Create new blank
Set currently selected formation as default for faction/culture

Second section:
Depending on how the existing formation system works, select units/types & proportion, drag & drop like the unit selection screen on custom battle
(If the current system is fairly unit number insensitive this can probably be part of the first section, integrated into the faction/culture selection)

Third part:
Loads a nice simple flat map like grassy flat plain
(faction/culture themed map for polish)
Then you can set up generic formations drag & drop style
Save the formation button

Something like that would be great :2thumbsup: