PDA

View Full Version : Feudalism

Moorkh
01-28-2006, 13:13
I have not been very impressed by M:TW's previous simulation of the feudal system - in fact, while there was a concept of marrying princesses to secure alliances and something of a dynasty of rulers, this is an extremely rudimentary implementation of the system.

I would hope for this to have been improved in M2. In particular, I'd like to see elements such as (I'm not aware of the exact English terminology, so please forgive any awkward expressions):
- two layers of territorial ownership, one as a feudal landholder, one as a sovereign. This would simulate how, for example, normandy could at the same time be ruled by the king of England and be part of the kingdom of France, making William a duke and thus liege man to the French king.
- a way to lay claim to the throne of another faction if your king was related to their late sovereign and there is no clear heir.
- some simulation of the inner workings of the hre, which cannot really be regarded as a faction but much more an association of scheming factions that would elect a king as their overlord and need it to be confirmed by the papacy for added legitimacy and the title of emperor.

I realize the latter only concerns a small (if central) part of europa, but it would make a nice addition. HRE emperors just inheriting their thrones from their daddies is just silly and not very medieval at all. :)

I'm wondering if any of this has been addressed in their new concept by CA, and, of course, what my fellow members think.

GaugamelaTC
01-28-2006, 13:19
Indeed the HRE would present problems with the family tree system of RTW. However since it is only one faction, unless there were more factions or it was in a 'culture' of its own then CA will probably leave that system. however if there are cultures, then HRE may be on its own (like Egypt) who knows. I would like to see a more medieval and feudal system though.

Silver Rusher
01-28-2006, 14:33
- a way to lay claim to the throne of another faction if your king was related to their late sovereign and there is no clear heir.
I think that's a great idea, but I have a feeling that it is something that CA would have announced at the offset if they were going to implement it. Such a shame if this game doesn't have it, this would make the game much more interesting and accurate.

sapi
01-29-2006, 08:27
- a way to lay claim to the throne of another faction if your king was related to their late sovereign and there is no clear heir.I think that's a great idea, but I have a feeling that it is something that CA would have announced at the offset if they were going to implement it. Such a shame if this game doesn't have it, this would make the game much more interesting and accurate.Who knows? It might be in....there certainly were the beginnnings of it in mtw, what with marrying off princesses/getting princes married, so maybe its' on the books but they don't want to announce it until they get it working...