PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite new features in m2tw?

Silver Rusher
01-28-2006, 19:55
What are your favourite new features that have been announced so far for m2tw?

Call me a "mainstream gamer" for saying this if you must, but one of the things I am most looking forward to is the graphics, and how the men in a unit vary in appearance and how there will be more gore, dirtier looking units and more realistic fight animations.

You?

Monarch
01-28-2006, 20:20
For me, it is package. As I dont think particularly one feature is that amazing, it's the accumulation of good features that I believe will make this game 'amazing'.

But I am looking forward to the graphics, however I hope you can get good graphics on a 1mg RAM, Radeon x700pro 256mg, IP4 3.0GZ computer.

I'm not making too much of the statement I read somewhere "If you can play RTW, then you can play M2TW". Because that could mean if you can play RTW on good settings, then you can play M2TW and the lowest of the low, and thus not getting the great graphics that you might.

Oaty
01-28-2006, 22:53
Even more men on the field than RTW fir sure.

Alexander the Pretty Good
01-29-2006, 03:25
I'll need a new PC fo' sho'.

The good news is, the latest (as of now) hardware will be less expensive by the time MTW2 rolls around. I imagine what is cutting edge RIGHT NOW will be acceptable for MTW2.

sapi
01-29-2006, 05:17
But I am looking forward to the graphics, however I hope you can get good graphics on a 1mg RAM, Radeon x700pro 256mg, IP4 3.0GZ computer.
You're going to have a bit of trouble with 1MB of ram :oops:

But i'm really looking foward to a revamped ai, and different unit skins...

Dooz
01-29-2006, 11:37
You're going to have a bit of trouble with 1MB of ram :oops:

But i'm really looking foward to a revamped ai, and different unit skins...

Have they mentioned anything about revamped ai? Haven't seen anything about that yet. All I've really heard about are the graphics mainly and I think I've read most of the stuff about it.

x-dANGEr
01-29-2006, 11:56
They opened our mouths with Graphics, nothing else still. Though, I of course like Jihads, Merchants, and the castle or city thingy.

GaugamelaTC
01-29-2006, 13:06
Of course they mostly advertise the graphics. They're appealing to all the 12 year old boys who will say 'oh wow that's well heavy innit'. Despite being 13 myself there are very few 12/13/14/15 year old boys who appreciate the AI of MTW. Since that is there target audience (mostly) I am sceptical they will talk about the AI that much and that many improvements will be made. I'm praying I'm wrong though.

My favourite features will definitely be the revamped combat system. Obviously if they announce MTW style AI then it will jump to become my no.1!

Dooz
01-29-2006, 13:43
What are these revamped combat systems you speak of? Point me in the direction of where I can read such things for myself.

Antiochius
01-29-2006, 15:31
the graphic, but i hope they will make the provinces even more better

Martok
01-29-2006, 20:55
Have they mentioned anything about revamped ai? Haven't seen anything about that yet. All I've really heard about are the graphics mainly and I think I've read most of the stuff about it.

I doubt very much that CA would mention the AI, regardless of what kind of improvements they're making to it. Even in Shogun and Medieval where the AI is pretty decent, they never mentioned it as a feature in either game. I guess if I were them, though, I probably wouldn't say anything about the AI either.

Think about it: If you touted the AI as being one of the game's major selling points, and then it turned out to be less than stellar, you'd be reviled for deceiving your fanbase, maybe even accused of false advertising. But if you don't mention the AI and it then turns out to be pretty good, it's a pleasant surprise for everyone! There's simply no way CA *isn't* aware of Rome's AI deficencies, and I therefore can't believe they're not going to do their best to fix them this time around.

GaugamelaTC
01-29-2006, 21:24
When I said revamped combat system I was referring to the new animations , finishing system etc. There haven't really been many new game features announced.

Incongruous
01-29-2006, 23:54
Meh I'll be pissed off if I have to completley re-vamp my pc.
How much Ram do think I'll need. I have PCIEXP X800XT AMD FX 64

Samurai Waki
01-30-2006, 00:20
I'm building a new computer this summer anyways, getting all of the latest and greatest stuff I can afford for it. Newest Processor, newest Graphics Card/Physics Card, etc. So I think I'll have a good enough system to run MTW2, and if not, I think that CA may have overshot their ambitions just a tad too much.

Incongruous
01-30-2006, 01:22
Well I think I'll be safe for MTW2, Probabaly need over 2gigs of ram, so I'll need to buy some more, new sound card otherwise I reckon my processor and GFX are sweet. If not I'll just wait till MTW2 comes out and get the stuff I need cheaper then.
Another bonus is the fact that our home theatre finished so I'll just plug the pc into that.

Dooz
01-30-2006, 02:31
When I said revamped combat system I was referring to the new animations , finishing system etc. There haven't really been many new game features announced.

Ah, that makes more sense. Guess I was overanxious to hear some good news regarding AI improvements...

I doubt very much that CA would mention the AI, regardless of what kind of improvements they're making to it. Even in Shogun and Medieval where the AI is pretty decent, they never mentioned it as a feature in either game. I guess if I were them, though, I probably wouldn't say anything about the AI either.

Think about it: If you touted the AI as being one of the game's major selling points, and then it turned out to be less than stellar, you'd be reviled for deceiving your fanbase, maybe even accused of false advertising. But if you don't mention the AI and it then turns out to be pretty good, it's a pleasant surprise for everyone! There's simply no way CA *isn't* aware of Rome's AI deficencies, and I therefore can't believe they're not going to do their best to fix them this time around.

I suppose it makes sense they would. I haven't played BI yet, but from what I've read and all, it seems like they made some improvement over previous versions, so that's a step towards the right direction. Then again, on the opposite end, we could end up with them feeling like those improvements were enough and just concentrate on other aspects of the game. Wait and see I suppose.

Cesare diBorja
01-30-2006, 04:43
Minimum RAM should be 512MB. A 1.5+GHz system should run the game just fine. 256MB or 512MB video card is recommended.

My thoughts ,anyway.

diBorgia

Bopa the Magyar(great name). I think it will be close to Dawn of War(Warhammer)and it's expansion pack. Or COD2 or Battlefield2.

Incongruous
01-30-2006, 05:09
I hope those are the min requs. I reckon 2 gigs of RAM should do it. To be honest I doubt it's much more than RTW. What came syst Requs wise do you think it will compare to? COD2

player1
01-30-2006, 10:25
For me it's the way how settlements can be developed in two ways.

Either as feudal lands with castles, or as cities.

Dooz
01-30-2006, 11:52

Hopefully it actually pans out as being useful and not just city=RTW cities, castle=restricted RTW cities...

doc_bean
01-30-2006, 12:24
I hope those are the min requs. I reckon 2 gigs of RAM should do it. To be honest I doubt it's much more than RTW. What came syst Requs wise do you think it will compare to? COD2

The only game I have that needed more than 512mb was Civ4, and there was a memory leak. At least in Rome there doesn't seem to be much (or any) difference between 512mb and 1gb ram.

player1
01-30-2006, 12:37
Hopefully it actually pans out as being useful and not just city=RTW cities, castle=restricted RTW cities...

Personally I think it will be like city=RTW cities minus good units, castle=restricted RTW cities, plus better units

ALthough I'm pretty sure that farm upgrades will be better with castles (feudal pesentry), while markets, ports and like will be more popular for cities.

Antiochius
01-30-2006, 14:10
what i would like, is, if the provinces consists of more than one city

Dooz
01-30-2006, 16:11
what i would like, is, if the provinces consists of more than one city

*Bubble-bursting spoiler*

Not going to happen.

Monarch
01-30-2006, 17:33
I think your overestimating RAM, RTW was 256mg, for it then to go over 1gig for the same engine is weird. But tbh RAM is the one thing I could upgrade, I'm not going to get a new process/gfx card as they're way too expensive just for one game. But an extra 256mg is only £30.

TB666
01-30-2006, 18:52
I think the new blood effects and the new town/castle feature is what is the most interesting and sound great to me.
Of course the whole package sounds good but these 2 is so far my favorite.

Hepcat
07-16-2006, 10:37
I am looking forward to the cities and towns and the SOUTH AMERICAN NATIONS!

The number of units on the battlefield don't worry me so much.

Ituralde
07-16-2006, 10:48
I'm really looking forward to the merchants and the improved Diplomacy options/system.

Concerning the AI, they did mention that they will improve the Strategical and the Tactical AI in one of the interviews. Another CA guy even mentioned that they're well aware that the Rome AI was somewhat lacking, so I wouldn't be too pessimistic about that issue just yet.

Kralizec
07-16-2006, 12:32
There aren't any real groundbraking new features that I would buy the game for alone, so it depends on the whole package just like Monarch says.

If CA came out saying that the AI would be the greatest in any TW game, that would definitely be something.

Geoffrey S
07-16-2006, 12:47
I'm particularly looking forward to the improved terrain of the battlefields (looks more varied, and bigger), and to the reintroduction of prisoners; I really hope we'll again have the option to execute the whole army, just the leaders, or no-one at all.

Also like the look of the combat, the new animations look excellent. Hopefully the won't make combat results too random.

Furious Mental
07-16-2006, 14:56
The Mongol horde.

Cebei
07-16-2006, 16:23
More realistic battles; I don't want the front line fighting and the back lines standing still like idiots.

caspian
07-16-2006, 16:30
I want to see how the new features (princesses, merchants, etc.) affect the campaign map. And how 'invincible' the Papacy will be this time around.

CBR
07-16-2006, 18:23
More realistic battles; I don't want the front line fighting and the back lines standing still like idiots.

What should the rear line then be doing?

CBR

Furious Mental
07-16-2006, 19:05
Good question. If you look at Roman warfare, you'll find that's what the formations behind the frontmost did- stood there while the front line fought, then when the front line was tired it withdrew and the next line went in to bat. Even if an army's tactics didn't revolve around wearing the enemy down by attrition, it is commonsense to have forces in reserve.

King Bob VI
07-16-2006, 20:40
Speaking of system requirements, do you guys think
2.8 Ghz CPU
1GB RAM
256MB Graphics Card
will be able to run M2TW on decent settings? I don't have Rome so I can't tell you how well it runs that.

Alien_Tortoise2345
07-17-2006, 05:03
For me the main draws are:

A: Great-looking and more so than Rome.
B: Seems to be more factions than Rome.
C: New non-combat units i.e. Princesses, Merchants, Cardinals, Witches, Heretics.
D: Option to make towns Fortresses or Castles is interesting.
E: The presentation seems nice in the trailer i.e. lots of nice movies.
F: Cannons on Elephants! :2thumbsup:

Puzz3D
07-17-2006, 15:35
Good question. If you look at Roman warfare, you'll find that's what the formations behind the frontmost did- stood there while the front line fought, then when the front line was tired it withdrew and the next line went in to bat. Even if an army's tactics didn't revolve around wearing the enemy down by attrition, it is commonsense to have forces in reserve.
What's Roman warfare got to do with RTW? Total War is now a tactical fantasy game, and that means every man should be flailing his weapon in melee just like every man in a ranged unit shoots even if he isn't in range. There is no need for a tactical reserve in the battles. Just throw everything into a giant furball then zoom in and watch.

Tamur
07-21-2006, 22:06
I'm looking forward to the rabbit of Caerbannog.

Tiberius maximus
07-22-2006, 06:25
i think i love all thats been told about it except i dont believe the whole "if you can play RTW then you cn play MTW2" that has to be a bunch of :furious3: :oops:

sunsmountain
07-25-2006, 09:06
None.

Maybe glory goals, if they're in.

r johnson
07-25-2006, 09:25

Sounds interesting. Anyway i'm actually looking forward to see how the new diplomacy works if it's as good as it sounds.:juggle2:

danfda
07-25-2006, 18:52
None.

Maybe glory goals, if they're in.

Gods, I wish GA mode was in... I would upgrade my PC just to buy M2TW if that were the case. Unfortunately, I believe I heard somewhere that CA has already said no GA, and therefore I am a sad person. :no:

That said, the major feature that would really interest me would be improved campaign AI (I know, saying that is like beating a dead horse, but what the heck). I'd also be interested in diplomacy that actually functions, but that is inevitably tied to improved AI. In short, I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Fwapper
07-27-2006, 02:03
It's very hard to advertise the AI. The graphics are upfront, in your face things which make you go "Hey, that's pretty damn cool" (More like "Uuurgh... yummy gore... blooood... mmmm..." *faints with pleasure*)

Anyway... graphics are easy to advertise compared to AI. While AI mentionings seem to be getting more frequent, CA, and the makers of any strategy game for that matter, still won't, and really can't give that much away. We'll need to wait for a playable demo to come out before we can get our first sample of the AI, but it will be our 10000th sample of the graphics. People really give CA a really hard time over this... I'm in full support of constructively critisizing the AI flaws in current games, but senselessly bashing the AI in a game that isn't even out yet is just harsh.

Just my five good British pennies...

Fwapper

Furious Mental
07-27-2006, 02:51
Well in all fairness the AI in RTW wasn't exactly Einstein, and unless CA says "The tactical AI is going to be much better than it was in RTW" people will assume that it is going to be the same old. As the inevitable release date approaches and the emphasis in press releases etc continues to be on things other than the tactical AI, people get crankier because it seems all the more likely that the AI is indeed the same.

Fwapper
07-27-2006, 09:58
Hmmmm... suppose you're probably right...

I'll just patiently wait for the demo... and be cautiously optimistic...

:despair: (<--What!! No despair smiley?! Outrageous...)

Puzz3D
07-27-2006, 13:29
Oh yes, the scripted demo with the unfinished skirmish AI ala RTW demo.

x-dANGEr
07-27-2006, 13:44
like every man in a ranged unit shoots even if he isn't in range.
So you think it would be realistic that a man can let his arrow fly and hit a target at the range of 100 metres, but not at 100.5 metres?

R'as al Ghul
07-27-2006, 14:10
So you think it would be realistic that a man can let his arrow fly and hit a target at the range of 100 metres, but not at 100.5 metres?

Puzz3D refers to M:TW and S:TW where it was the case that only the first rank fired when in range. To make all 3 ranks fire it's required to move in a bit further/ closer to the enemy. Range is therefore measured for the individual soldier.
In R:TW the range is measured per unit. If one soldier is in range all are.

You can of course argue that the soldiers that stand 1 meter behind, in 2nd rank can fire just as well, but why have a max range at all then?
In Total War arrows have a max range for gameplay purpose. Being forced to move all three ranks in range also means that all three ranks can be hit.
The Rome gameplay takes away a lot of this little details that have impact on the tactics. Anyway, the Rome gameplay is so messed up imho, that it hardly matters that all archers of a unit always shoot.

redriver
07-27-2006, 15:31
why everybody's so heavy on RAM? just don't run XP! did ya know that CoDII care less 'bout how much RAM/CPU power your system has. it's all 'bout the graphic card baby... that's what's gonna change the most. graphics. same for CoD vs CoD2...
anyways, my fav. feature is not the uplifted graphics engine. that's nice and dandy but in most battles ya wanna be zoomed out all the way to get a good grasp of the battlefield and don't get your a$$ flanked because ya stare at somebody's :laugh4:
my fav. feauture will be the new world and indians. hopefully they'll let us play one of the first nations even if that means losin' everytime :wall:

danfda
07-27-2006, 15:51
Hmmmm... suppose you're probably right...

I didn't think there was going to be a demo...

Horatius
07-28-2006, 07:01
Of what has been anounced I am seriously looking forward to actually getting use diplomacy for something other then "The senate requests for the good of the people of Rome for you to get a trade agreement with" and bribing.

Ituralde
08-08-2006, 13:06
Scrap what I said earlier! :smash:

My new favourtie feature are the Guilds, they're gonna be really awesome and I'm really looking forward to playing the game. Even if the battle AI was bad I would still play the game for the Guilds alone, the missions they give me and the things I have to do to get them in the first place. Really my favourite feature by far, so far! :2thumbsup:

amadkiwi
08-08-2006, 14:37
My favourite new feature will be the brilliant graphics, and the units as individuals. 10,000 soldiers in an army, all looking different from the person next to them, and they all look fantastic too.

hoetje
08-09-2006, 14:53
will I be able to run the game on high settings with :
3.0 ghz processor
ram 1024 mb
geforce 7600 gt 256 mb?