PDA

View Full Version : Alternative History: The Rise of Brian Boru

QwertyMIDX
01-29-2006, 06:40
The rules are as follows: First 3 posters can suggest hybird options, first 7 posts will be considered the only votes for option. Have fun.

The year is 976 AD and you are Brian mac Cennetig, Curadh (champion) under your brother Mathgamain, Ruire (king) of Mumu (Munster). You are the bane of the Hiberno-Norse, descendents of Norse invaders, who dare to claim rule over the ancestral lands of your people. The guerilla campaigns of your youth against the Hiberno-Norse have become legendry and serve as a rallying cry for the men of Munster. Your brother, Mathgamain, inspired by your success against the Hiberno-Norse was finally convinced to see Ivar, the Hiberno-Norse King as an enemy rather than an ally, and together you had led your forces against his forces and those of his Irish allies lead by Mael Muad. In 968 you won a crushing victory over Ivar and Mael Muad at the battle Sulchoid and reduced them to little more than rebels, title-less brigands who refused to acknowledge your brother’s right to rule. Still, it seems as though your enemies learned well from your guerilla campaigns, and after nearly a decade of endemic skirmishes neither Ivar nor Mael Muad have been brought to heel. Yet they seem, finally, to have been worn down and have called your brother to meeting of reconciliation, declaring themselves willing to end the bloodshed and swear allegiance to your brother in exchange for minor titles. You have been left at Cashel with the army, charged with getting them battle ready, arming them with looted equipment from Limerick and from Ivar’s defeated Norse mercenaries as well as arms imported from Galway. While your brother parlays you have also been left to make use of the army in put downing bandits, many of whom are loyal to Ivar, and with sending gifts to the men of Cork in thanks for their help against your enemies.

You awake at daybreak and after prayers and a quick breakfast you leave your tent to see to morning drills. Looking out over the camp, you see the cooking fires of nearly a thousand men, vassals from Munster, Hiberno-Norse allies, and mercenaries hired from across Ireland. You are filled with a sense of pride at the army you and your brother have built, it is well trained and armed, and with the allegiance of most of the Ri (little kings) of Munster the number of men you can rely upon for support has grown to nearly five thousand. These proud musing are shattered by the appearance of a messenger; the hast of his approach and his frantic manner cause a sinking feeling in your stomach, he can only be bearing ill tidings.

Your brother, Mathgamain, Ruire of Mumu, is dead, slain under a banner of peace by his treacherous enemies. Perhaps Ivar and Mael Muad, seeing that force of arms would not be able to unseat your brother decided that foul treachery was their only option, no matter, they will soon come to regret it.

With your brother dead you are, as tanist, the legal successor of both chief of Dal Cais and Ruire of Mumu, but to claim your title as chief you must return to Tuadmumu, and to claim you title as Ruire you must crush Mael Muad, the only rival for the throne. Further, Many Ri have taken this chance to reaffirm their loyalty to Mael Maud, and many of those who had sworn allegiance to your brother will likely wavier in their loyalty towards you. Having sent the messenger away you retire to your tent and consider your options.

1) Time is of essence; pursue them before they can gather their supporters!
a) Take the men you have with you at Cashel and pursue Mael Muad, until he is brought to heel you cannot claim the kingship.
b) Take the men you have with you at Cashel and pursue Ivar, until you have taken his head your brother’s death with never be avenged and it he, not Mael Muad, who is your most dangerous enemy.
c) Take the men you have with you at Cashel and led them against the Ri loyal to Mael Muad before they have time to join forces with Mael Muad.

2) This plot was obviously well planned; rushing off after the treasonous swine now will only give them further advantage as they have already had time to prepare.
a) Retreat to Tuadmumu, claim your title as chief of Dal Cais. While at Tuadmumu, gather the forces that you had previously dispatched to put down bandits and call on the forces of the Ri who remain loyal to you.
b) Retreat to Tuadmumu, claim your title as chief of Dal Cais, gather the forces that are loyal to you, send envoys to Cork as request aid, and send envoys to those Ri who’s loyalty is in question and offer them gold and loot if they join your forces.

King Kurt
01-29-2006, 13:27
Wow - first post!!

I think that running off after the rebels with only 1,000 men is not the right course of action - you have been chasing them for 10 years - what has changed to make you think you can catch them now. So I would go for option 2 - back to the capital, claim my crown and gather all I can to make a big enough army to finish the the campaign once and for all. So that would be 2B. I would go for bribing the minor kings loyal to the rebels as we need to cut away the rebels support base - a sort of Dark Age Irish hearts and minds campaign!!~:cheers:

Mouzafphaerre
01-29-2006, 15:55
1 - A :rtwno: Don't give the enemy time. You have to destroy the pretender first to claim the more important title. The rebellious ri will have to think twice and maybe swear allegiance once their burden of foul hope is gone. Taking any option under 2 will diminish you to a rival contender in a renewed civil strife, one among many.

Ludens
01-29-2006, 17:48
Yes! Another alternative history! I personally am on the side of King Kurt: attacking the traitors headlong is likely to play into their hands. However, we have to act. Therefor, I suggest going after the weakest part of the enemy. My guess is the traiterous Ri, so I think option 1C is the best one.

However, I hope you will provide some more information, as we hardly know enough about our enemies to make a weighted choice.

QwertyMIDX
01-29-2006, 19:54
I'll try and give a bit of info on the likely make up the enemy forces later today.

QwertyMIDX
01-29-2006, 22:55
The disloyal Ri would have at most 400-500 troops each. Defeating one may force the others into line, and bribing them with gold and promises of loot might bolster Brian's forces especially coupled with a show of force. Mael Muad would have in the realm of about 1000 allies from Leinster. Ivar would be best off, with a similar number of soldiers to Mael Muad, but better equipped. If left alone, the three groups will convene.

Brian's forces at Cashel are a mixed bag of Irish and Hiberno-Norse infantry, and all would be better armed and trained than any of the disloyal Ri, and better armed than Mael Muad's forces, but probably overmatched by Ivar's men.

Mouzafphaerre
01-30-2006, 04:25
My counsel prevails. Cut Mael Muad into pieces at once.

AntiochusIII
01-30-2006, 05:35
1A: After learning the disposition of the forces involved, I am of the opinion that Mael Murad must be done with as soon as possible. We seem to have enough men to deal with him. Without him, the rebellious Ri will lose their rallying cause and will either have to submit or suffer. Your kingship will also be secured with that victory, removing the contender, allowing you to deal with the dangerous army of Ivar's later on.

If we do not seize the initiative, the joined forces of the rebels would be overwhelming. Even if we attack the rebellious Ri, should Mael Murad and Ivar join forces, it would seem they would be twice as hard to defeat. Ivar's force alone is too powerful for us to deal with at this stage, so attack him isn't a good option. Besides, attacking him means Mael Murad could take advantage of us being pinned down to snatch away Munster.

Risks are taken in war, and for good reason.

Let Ireland rise!

QwertyMIDX
01-30-2006, 08:09
Do we want to wait for 3 more posters to reach the quorum of 7? Do you folks want to confer a bit with the new info? Should I get to work on the next installment: The Hunt of Mael Muad?

Or would you folks like to turn this into an RPG and each pick a character, so far we have:

Brian
Mael Maud
Ivar
Ri of Eile
Ri of Deisi

Here's a map to help you folks get an idea of what's going on:
https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2997/bbah19oe.jpg

Mouzafphaerre
01-30-2006, 08:16
We're already 4. I say wait for a day or half and if it remains stuck at this go ahead. :yes:

QwertyMIDX
01-30-2006, 08:24
Opps, took too long editing, read the rest of the post Mouz.

King Kurt
01-30-2006, 10:35
Now I know the forces, I would tend towards some action. However, I would not chase MM - that leaves us with too many troops behind us. I think we should attack/bribe the Ri at Desi Muman. That puts us near our base and the forces of MM and Ivar have far to travel. If we end up short of numbers, I am happy to take a role.~:cheers:

Ludens
01-30-2006, 12:32
Thanks. I am now more inclinded towards 1A, though we should be aware that MM might be waiting for us. Precautions against ambushes should be taken, as MM has grown experienced in guerilla warfare as wel.

QwertyMIDX
01-30-2006, 18:40
Ok, well if you pick roles then I will give you all a set of options.

Since it seems like we only have 4 people the two disloyal Ri can be the same person.

Mouzafphaerre
01-30-2006, 19:57
I'll go with common vote in that; if we do switch to RPG though give Brian to me! :knuddel:

King Kurt
01-31-2006, 10:49
Hey - I'm game - put me down for Mael Maud - a small pause as I gather my faithful Gallowglasses around me and quietly sip a glass of Guiness.~:cheers:

GoreBag
01-31-2006, 12:20
I don't know about the role-playing bit, personally. That would certainly complicate things.

Option 1 is the best, though. I like the idea of 1c, but failing that, 1a is my choice.

Lord Winter
01-31-2006, 15:40
1)c attack his support first.

QwertyMIDX
01-31-2006, 18:27
We're at a stalemate, 3 for 1A, 3 for 1C. If we remove King Kurt's vote and let him control MM we can go with 1A.

QwertyMIDX
01-31-2006, 21:06
I've given King Kurt Mael Muad's set of options, unless someone wants to take control of Ivar I'll control him and once Kurt gets back to me with his choice I'll post Brian's options for pursing Mael Muad.

Mouzafphaerre
02-01-2006, 00:55
Whoever takes whom you should be driving the story. I know next to nothing on medieval Irish history for one. :dizzy2:

QwertyMIDX
02-01-2006, 01:05
Yeah of course, I'll just give people who pick characters a set of options, I'll still do the story.

Big_John
02-01-2006, 11:01
Ivar is here; I am Ivar.

QwertyMIDX
02-01-2006, 16:09
I've sent you your options.

QwertyMIDX
02-02-2006, 05:27
You awake after a fitful sleep, filled with disturbing visions of your brother’s last moments. Rising from your bedroll you groan feeling more exhausted than you had before retiring. Calling in your shield bearer you settle down for a breakfast of stew and bread which he has brought you; today will be a long day, and you will need your strength. You have decided to pursue the traitorous Mael Muad in attempt to take his head, and your rightful place as Ruire of Mumu. Once more summoning your shield bearer you instruct him to help you into your mail shirt and to buckle on your sturdy viking sword; if all goes as planned it will soon taste the blood of your enemies.

Once armed you are prepared for the day’s ride, and leave your tent to survey your troops. All across the camp the sounds of men readying for march and battle ring out, it is a song you know well. You walk quickly through the camp, stopping occasionally to give groups of men words of encouragement; they will need all the encouragement they can to get through the coming days of hard marching and bloody battle. As the men pack up the camp, you retire to your tent to consider how to prosecute the upcoming campaign against Mael Muad and his allies.

Core Options:
1) Assume Mael Muad will March south and attempt to link up with the Ri of the Deisi
a)Force march your army Northeast in an attempt to cut Mael Muad off before he reaches the Deisi.
b) March for Desi and met Mael Muad’s forces after they have joined with those of the Ri of the Deisi, the forces opposing may be stronger, but at least you won’t be encircled and unable to retreat if things go badly.
c) March north into the lands of Mael Maud’s Osraige allies, pillage and loot in an attempt to lure Mael Maud back and into a pitched battle or perhaps an ambush as he rushes back.
d) March to Desi, and attempt to overawe to Ri of the Deisi’s forces before Mael Muad arrives. Perhaps after a show of force the Ri of the Deisi will join you against Mael Maud and you can undermine the morale of his men by appearing on the battlefield alongside their erstwhile allies.

2) Assume Mael Muad will head northwest and attempt to link up with the Ri of the Eile.
a) Force march your army and attempt to get between Mael Maud and the lands of the Eile.
b) March for the lands of the Eile and met Mael Muad’s forces in battle after they have joined with the Ri of the Eile’s men.
c) March north into the lands of Mael Maud’s Osraige allies, pillage and loot in an attempt to lure Mael Maud back and into a pitched battle or perhaps an ambush as he rushes back.
d) Assume that Mael Muad is going to Eile as a trap; if you follow him there, you would be trapped between Ivar and Mael Muad, if Ivar moves to join up with him instead of staying at Limerick. Moving north in this case may sandwich you between the two, and any chance of an escape may be slim. Head south for the likely isolated Deisi instead.

3) Feel free to propose your own course of action, and to speculate on what Mael Muad and Ivar are likely to do. If you feel like you'll be unable to defeat them piecemeal with your current forces, remember that Brian's combined armies should be able to deal with the combined forces of Mael Muad, Ivar and the disloyal Ri unless they find outside help.

Ancillary Options:

1) Orders to your bands attempting to chase down bandits:
a) Move quickly to meet up with your main force, hopefully bolstering your army before you have to commit to battle.
b) Order them to try and slow down Ivar’s advance by harrying his forces and disrupting his supply lines.

2) Requests to the loyal Ri:
a) Raise their forces as quickly as possible and move to join up with your army.
b) Raise their forces as quickly as possible and move to intercept Ivar and delay him if he tries to join up with Mael Muad.
c) Gather their forces but keep them in the lands of the Ui Fidghenti in order to defend against the possibility of Ivar heading into their lands and attacking.

3) Diplomacy with the Flath (chieftain) of Cork:
a) Thank him for his previous support of your brother and send him the gifts owed to him.
b) Thank him for his previous support and request he come to your aid now; withhold the gifts owed to him until he agrees.
c) Thank him for his previous support, send not only the gifts already owed but many more and request he come to your aid again.

4) Diplomacy with the Flath of Waterford (forces numbering between 300-700 men, depending on how impressed he is with the gifts you send and thus how many troops he levies):
a) Ignore him
b) Send runners with gifts and offers of first choice of loot if he joins you against Mael Maud. While this is likely to bring him into your camp it will cost you valuable monies from your treasury that may be needed later, will drastically decrease the wealth you can gain from looting Mael Maud’s defeated forces and undefended lands, and may undermine your support amongst the loyal Ri, who would feel that in courting these new allies you are ignoring their right to loot.
c) Send runners offering gifts but not first choice of loot. It will still hurt your treasury but you should be able to recoup the loses through loot and it will be less alienating to your allies among the loyal Ri. Unfortunatly the Flath of Waterford is much less likely to risk supporting the losing side if you only offer him gifts.

5) Request to the Flath of Waterford if he sides with you:
a) If Mael Muad heads south, attempt to ambush Mael Maud before you arrive and soften up his forces, if he does not, move to join up with your army.
b) Move to join with your main body of men.
c) Move to attack the Ri of the Deisi before Mael Maud or your forces arrive.

6) Diplomacy with Connacht, numerous clans on the border suffered at the hands of Mael Muad's endless raids. While some had clan wars with the Dal Cais, they may overlook this for a chance to get back at their hated enemy Mael Muad.
a) Send runners to encourage them to attack Limerick. Mael Muad will be obliged to help his ally Ivar, so you'll know exactly where he's headed.
b) Send runners to encourage them to attack Mael Muad's allies among the Eile clan. If Mael Muad is there, Ivar will be obliged to help him, and the two will be caught up in battle there.
c) Send runners to encourage them to join up with your army, offering them some gifts, and the guarantee of their right to decide the fate of Mael Muad if he is captured alive.

Mouzafphaerre
02-02-2006, 05:49
Where? ~:confused:
Posted quicklier than I read. :dizzy2:

Mouzafphaerre
02-02-2006, 06:28
Core:||1D
Ancillary:||1B, 2B, 3C, 4C, 5C, 6A

Ludens
02-02-2006, 16:20
Sorry, but I am a bit unclear as to how this is going to work. Is this still an open Interactive History or is Mouzafphaerre the only one allowed to steer Brian Boru now?

QwertyMIDX
02-02-2006, 16:33
Brian's options are still open to everyone. People other than myself are controlling the other characters, and the forum at large is controlling Brian.

Ludens
02-02-2006, 16:44
Brian's options are still open to everyone. People other than myself are controlling the other characters, and the forum at large is controlling Brian.
I see. Well, I am rather hesitant to give my opinion, as I think this is a bit too many choices. We simply cannot argue or consider them all. It seems to me that if my decision is unwise, it is unlikely that someone will point out my mistake.

Given these reservations, here is what I consider best:

Core

2D) Mael Muad is a fool if he does not try to unite with Ivar, but I am rather hesitant to order a forced march and I do not feel much for engaging him when he has numerical superiority. We do run a severe risk that MM joins with Ivar, but I feel that (given our opponents have read our previous communications) they expect us to attack. I'd rather disappoint them.

Ancillary

1B) Given the core choice, slowing down Ivar is a prime objective.

2B) I assume it means harrasing Ivar without the risk of open battle. If Ivar does turn to Ui Fidghenti, he will be cut of from his home province with uncertain supply lines. However, if 2B means meating Ivar in open battle, I'd go for 2C.

3A) How loyal is the Flath of Cork? And how does he percieve our situation? I cannot decide this one until I know if we have to bribe him to our cause, but I think we should at least send what we owe him. Not sending would send quite the wrong message.

4C) Again, what kind of man is the Flath of Waterford and how does he percieve us? I think we should try for his help, but not at all costs.

5B) Off course. It means pretty much the same as 5C, but we are there to make sure they swear fealthy to us, not to Waterford.

6A) None of the options really attracts me, but I'd rather take Ivar out of the equation than harrassing Mael Muad.

Great scenario, BTW ~:thumb: .

King Kurt
02-02-2006, 18:03
As Mael Muad I don't think it would be fair for me to take part in the options of those opposing me!! Can I suggest that you let me have my options by private mail - I will try to not look at the thread until I have made my choice - and we will see how that works out.~:cheers:

QwertyMIDX
02-02-2006, 20:46
That was my plan, it's why I sent you your options by PM and didn't post this until you decided.

I'll do the same with your next set of options, by then the forum at large will know roughly what you decided to do.

Mouzafphaerre
02-03-2006, 01:10
But our plans are open to the enemy! :gah2:

QwertyMIDX
02-03-2006, 04:10
Your foes are already locked into their choices and by the time the next round of options appears everyone will know what everyone else has chosen.

King Kurt
02-03-2006, 10:00
To allay people's fears, I will not look at the thread until I have sent my next set of options. I shall think of it as a form of cold turkey!!

Mouzafphaerre
02-03-2006, 15:00
Your foes are already locked into their choices and by the time the next round of options appears everyone will know what everyone else has chosen.
GR8 :2thumbsup:

QwertyMIDX
02-05-2006, 04:24
Well, it seems like Brian is being controlled by just Mouz and Ludens, so you two should come to some sort of agreement so we can move on with this thing.

Mouzafphaerre
02-05-2006, 05:01
'morrow. ~;)

Ludens
02-05-2006, 17:39
Well, it seems like Brian is being controlled by just Mouz and Ludens, so you two should come to some sort of agreement so we can move on with this thing.
I am bit tied-up this week (read: I am having two practical courses and a theoretical one at the same time, followed by an exam on a fourth course; and I also need to prepare for the following week's major project) so I will not able to participate as much as I'd like. If he wants so, Mouzafphaerre may control Brian alone.

Mouzafphaerre
02-06-2006, 04:28
I'm not too keen on controling him alone, likely into a blitzkriegish risky action typical of my most decisions, without Ludens' strategical wariness in check. I'm going to make a table comparing both of our choices and we can thus discuss the differing options. Are we in much hurry? Is there a deadline?

Mouzafphaerre
02-06-2006, 15:58
Here's a comparison of my choices and those of Ludens's:

||Core||Ancillary
Ludens||2D||1B|2B|3A|4C|5B|6A
Mouzafphaerre||1D||1B|2B|3C|4C|5C|6A

Let me explain the reasoning of my options:

1D: I assumed that Mael Muad would march south, and that his wretched ally would also want to keep close to the escapade in case of defeat. The position of the rebels are not very strong; they would want to keep their forces concentrated, if at least to match/overwhelm us by numbers. I would probably do the same in his place. As for the D, striking the weaker foe beforehand and preventing a threatening union seemed the reasonable way to me.
3C: We need to make allies. We also need to keep our present allies at hand.
5C: Weakening if not crushing the minor foe will help not only to accomplish our core purpose but also save us from tiring our main body before the more important battle and losing valuable men.

:bow:

Ludens
02-06-2006, 20:39
It seems we agree that marching north is too hazardous as we are likely to get caught between Ivar, Mael Maud and Eile, and our enemies are probably expecting this. Desi is the target, then. However, I am still not convinced that MM is going to march south. His best course of action would be to join up with Ivar. Then will be their best chance to destroy us. Moving away from Eile and Ivar on the other hand will isolate him.

Also, what is the point in ordering Waterford to attack Desi if you want Desi to join you?

I was against sending more gifts to the Flath of Cork than his due because it might be interpreted as a sign of weakness, but I realize I don't know how the Irish did these things. If it is customary to win loyalty though gifts, then that is what we should do.

Mouzafphaerre
02-08-2006, 17:59

Also, what is the point in ordering Waterford to attack Desi if you want Desi to join you?
:gah2: How great a strategist am I! Analysed everything isolated and didn't even look if they were contradicting. :dizzy2:

Ludens
02-22-2006, 12:26
Is this Interactive History still active? I think everyone is eager for the next instalment.

QwertyMIDX
03-01-2006, 09:06
I'm sorry I've been swamped with applications, college, and EB work. If I get some time I'll write another chapter, but don't hold your breath. :shame:

Ludens
03-01-2006, 11:15
I'm sorry I've been swamped with applications, college, and EB work. If I get some time I'll write another chapter, but don't hold your breath. :shame:
Pity. Well, Real Life is more important than an Interactive History and, in my humble opinion, so is EB.

QwertyMIDX
03-11-2006, 04:11
Yeah, it's a hard life, trying to balance all these frivolous pursuits...