PDA

View Full Version : The point of conquest.

Incongruous
01-30-2006, 23:57
I just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same why I did when I had conquered a new province. Empty and unfulfilled. When I think of the medieval conquests I had yonks ago I always felt satisfied after a good conquest. Yet in RTW it was just another province and nothing special.

I hope the atmosphere is back.

Bob the Insane
01-31-2006, 00:45
Please, by all that is holy, let them reintroduce the Glorious Achievements game mode!!!

Templar Knight
01-31-2006, 00:46
Please, by all that is holy, let them reintroduce the Glorious Achievements game mode!!!

Yes! damn right!

ajaxfetish
01-31-2006, 05:51
Absolutely. I have no insatiable desire to overrun the entire map and start getting bored once no one can put up any serious opposition. I love to play GA.

Ajax

SirGrotius
01-31-2006, 05:55
Glorious Achievements have it then!

Dooz
01-31-2006, 06:01
Three cheers for Glorious Achievements!

Hip Hip!

Hip Hip!

Hip Hip!

If you have the spirit, you shall copy paste the hips and add the hoorays. I have spoken and will not change my mind.

Trajanus
01-31-2006, 06:04
After you've conquered the world once it gets a bit boring doing it over and over again.

Glorius Achievements was one of the many highlights in MTW that they left out in RTW.

Bring it back please!!!

Cowhead418
01-31-2006, 06:05
Yes GA mode is a must. I don't want to have to kill everybody and I want to be able to help my allies grow and develop without having that thought in my mind that I'll have to stab them in the back in the future.

Incongruous
01-31-2006, 06:18
Their importance would have to be inhanced though.
Also I was talking about the endlessness of pointless battles which were such a yawn. Plus like in medieval elite troops need to be harder to aquire, so I mean you would have to biuld a whole load of biuldings to "un-lock" a certain unit. Plus if you could "train" knights through a castel (in the later game an academy) for a number of years before they are mature/ready. This would make it alot harder than Rome where it was easy to biuld elite troops and steam roller everone in you're path.

sapi
01-31-2006, 09:22
Their importance would have to be inhanced though.
Also I was talking about the endlessness of pointless battles which were such a yawn. Plus like in medieval elite troops need to be harder to aquire, so I mean you would have to biuld a whole load of biuldings to "un-lock" a certain unit. Plus if you could "train" knights through a castel (in the later game an academy) for a number of years before they are mature/ready. This would make it alot harder than Rome where it was easy to biuld elite troops and steam roller everone in you're path.Yes - make elite troops elite! (and rare)

Duke John
01-31-2006, 09:24
Plus like in medieval elite troops need to be harder to aquire, so I mean you would have to biuld a whole load of biuldings to "un-lock" a certain unit.
But once you have those buildings little is going to stop you from building elite only units. And since the AI will most likely be unable to build as fast you have just won the game.

I would much rather see extra growing resources like population, such nobility. Nobility slowly grows (with a max) which puts a limit on how much elite units you can train.

Leet Eriksson
01-31-2006, 10:12
Make it so the AI offers to surrender whenever they lose alot of territory and rout in major battles (a major battle could have some sort of minimum number of units/number of men threshold that both sides should exceed to be considered one), that way we won't have to bother chasin them all over the map, especially when they "migrate" and take land which forces us to fight another faction just to kill them off.

Rodion Romanovich
01-31-2006, 10:26
I think the castle assaults with full stack vs 1 enemy unit should be possible to auto-calculate without too heavy casualties or if there would be a possibility for the defenders to surrender, so there'd be less such battles. In RTW 80 percent of the battles were assaults vs a city with 1 unit or so in it. Fewer and larger battles is a must - the AI should retreat more and regroup to be able to send full armies against you more often! And it should be careful to choose to put many archer units etc. for garrisoning in border cities to make the assaults more difficult and hence more satisfying when achieved. Plus glorious achievements would further add a feeling of achievement for the conquests. Finally I hope they balance so that some provinces are of greater importance than others so you don't just poinlessly expand one province at the time but sometimes use a navy to transport you to a city further away, or just bypass a city at the border to besiege the enemy capital - much more exciting that way.

sapi
01-31-2006, 10:48
I think the castle assaults with full stack vs 1 enemy unit should be possible to auto-calculate without too heavy casualties or if there would be a possibility for the defenders to surrender, so there'd be less such battles. In RTW 80 percent of the battles were assaults vs a city with 1 unit or so in it. Fewer and larger battles is a must - the AI should retreat more and regroup to be able to send full armies against you more often! And it should be careful to choose to put many archer units etc. for garrisoning in border cities to make the assaults more difficult and hence more satisfying when achieved. Plus glorious achievements would further add a feeling of achievement for the conquests. Finally I hope they balance so that some provinces are of greater importance than others so you don't just poinlessly expand one province at the time but sometimes use a navy to transport you to a city further away, or just bypass a city at the border to besiege the enemy capital - much more exciting that way.
Losing the capital needs to incur a very large penalty...

Weebeast
01-31-2006, 11:49
I recently have been playing in Conquest Mode because I can always come up with my own GA's such as untimed Krak des Chevaliers goal for example (anyone managed to do that btw?). Hospitallers didn't really have a deadline anyway.

I'm not really against more GA's but really, playing Conquest Mode doesn't suggest you to conquer all provinces only. Send bunch of imams to Mongol lands and convert the population or redirect your crusade to Constatinople. Who cares if the "You Lose" BIF comes up? Fulfil all crazy goals to your liking.

Again, I'd welcome new GA's!

King Yngvar
01-31-2006, 12:33
This would make it alot harder than Rome where it was easy to biuld elite troops and steam roller everone in you're path.

The only reason you can do that is because the computer rarely train elite troops, if they trained some elite troops more often, the battles may get harder.

TB666
01-31-2006, 12:50
The only reason you can do that is because the computer rarely train elite troops, if they trained some elite troops more often, the battles may get harder.
But we can make the AI build these troops.
In mods such as Darthmod the AI always builds the best troops it has.

Prince Cobra
01-31-2006, 12:55
FEWER AHD MORE IMPORTANT BATTLES AND

WE WANT OUR GLORIOUS ACHIEVEMENTS BACK!!! WE WANT THEM BACK!!! WE WANT THEM BACK!!! WE ... :horn: :horn: :horn:
:viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:
CHAAAAAARGE!!!:charge: :charge: :charge:

Midnight
01-31-2006, 16:37
Another voice here for bringing back Glorious Achievements!

phred
01-31-2006, 18:55

I've seen a difference in RTW 1.5 where the Gauls kept sending better and better armies against me (Carthage) until their armies mostly consisted of chosen swordsmen, swordsmen, forrester warbands and some calvalry.
I think the patch must give the AI some monetary/upkeep bonuses.

Back on topic:

Definitely bring back the GA goals!
Going for the Krak is one of my favorites.