PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer review

MiniKiller
02-01-2006, 03:52
Well I got my PC Gamer today and there was a review in it, very nice I must say. Can I scan them and post them or no? I'm not sure about the rule on this.

It talks about the castle/city arrangment, the inclusion on south and central america as well as a few other new things. Oh also the release date was quoted as "when its done" lol and there is also a hint they are working on something along with MTW2. It was stated that Rome and MTW were being worked on at once and now is no different. Another Shogun perhaps, thats what the editor would like to see.

Quietus
02-01-2006, 04:05
Cool. Can you just summarize the finer points? :)

SirGrotius
02-01-2006, 04:14
I've subscribed to PC Gamer for the past century or so, and believe or not, my subscription expired exactly this month. Tears.

MiniKiller
02-01-2006, 04:19
Sir tell me it isnt so! GAH!

Ya I'll do a post will the main things that jumped out at me. I'll just put them real quick tho, not going to go into alot of detial just smalle descriptions if ya dont mind.

MiniKiller
02-01-2006, 04:31
-More advanced advisor system (on/off ability obviously)
-South & Central America conquerable ("vast distance" in between)
-Spanning 1080-1530
-Italy can build Artist Studios, British will have Longbowmen, Scots will have Highlanders etc.
-Can export goods such as chocolate and tobacco
-Updated diplomacy (AI will better remember ur backstabbing affairs, biased deals etc.)
-Crusades hold bigger meaning/bearing
-If u have a cardinal he may become pope! ur own pope!
-Pope dealings updated (ask factions not to attack u even)
-Shiny armour will get covered in dirt, grim and blood Throughout a battle.
-Men will LOOK AROUND for an opponent and separate from the larger group of men.
-Attack/Defence moves (Attack may fail, defence can strike back)
-Will attack/defend more based on situation on the battlefield (surrounded /the one doing the surrounding, individual decision making!)
-Battle AI more aware of terrain, less predictable defence AI (Better keep its shape)
-Extremely craft AI on campaign map (Setting up lucrative trade routes to gain money, then try to convert ur population under your nose)

NodachiSam
02-01-2006, 06:04
Nice, I wonder if things are artist studies are only faction specific though. If so France should get a university at least.

TB666
02-01-2006, 06:53
Don't you mean "preview" instead of "review" ??
Seems strange to review a product that isn't finished.
But the info sounds good tho.

sapi
02-01-2006, 08:04
I'm sure he does.

That's great info though...

Gustav II Adolf
02-01-2006, 10:50
Ah, every report on this game makes me drool even more. I cant wait a year for this, i´ll get dehydrated! Better go and drink some water.

doc_bean
02-01-2006, 11:13
W00t ! They're bragging about the AI ! That's one promise I sure hope they keep !

It's PC Gamer, I wouldn't put it beyond them :laugh4:

boastj
02-01-2006, 18:11
What wait I must have missed something I have pc gamer which page?
:help:

boastj
02-01-2006, 18:17
o never mind i just looked at your post, your living in the USA
:wall: :no: :oops:

A.Saturnus
02-01-2006, 19:20
In a Benelux Game Magazine I've read that you can have an agent called merchant which can establish trade agreements or cause trouble to an enemy economy. Any info about that?

Mithrandir
02-01-2006, 21:57
Scanned articles are not ok,
summaries though in the twilight zone will be tolerated, as long as they're no more than that.

-Mithrandir.

MiniKiller
02-01-2006, 22:15
Of course I ment preview, lol, I just tend to always refer to anything as a review, I dunno just habbit.

Yes the building I described as Italian as well as the longbowmen etc are faction specific so I'm sure there are more along those lines.

There was some info about having a merchant do ur biding, I had some reference to that when I had info about setting up trade routes then converting ur population etc.

Oh and a little more on castle's/cities. Cities will obvioulsy be geared to make money and grow in pop/econmy. Castle's are for defence and military. It was said that up to 3 walls will have to be breached on some castle's before u even arrive at the castle wall itself! GA!

Anti-hero
02-01-2006, 22:39
-More advanced advisor system (on/off ability obviously)
-South & Central America conquerable ("vast distance" in between)
-Spanning 1080-1530
-Italy can build Artist Studios, British will have Longbowmen, Scots will have Highlanders etc.
-Can export goods such as chocolate and tobacco
-Updated diplomacy (AI will better remember ur backstabbing affairs, biased deals etc.)
-Crusades hold bigger meaning/bearing
-If u have a cardinal he may become pope! ur own pope!
-Pope dealings updated (ask factions not to attack u even)
-Shiny armour will get covered in dirt, grim and blood Throughout a battle.
-Men will LOOK AROUND for an opponent and separate from the larger group of men.
-Will attack/defend more based on situation on the battlefield (surrounded /the one doing the surrounding, individual decision making!)
-Battle AI more aware of terrain, less predictable defence AI (Better keep its shape)
-Extremely craft AI on campaign map (Setting up lucrative trade routes to gain money, then try to convert ur population under your nose)

Hey, all this sounds very promising. Even to me.
Would you explain these points in more detail:
"-Men will LOOK AROUND for an opponent and separate from the larger group of men.
-Will attack/defend more based on situation on the battlefield (surrounded /the one doing the surrounding, individual decision making!)"

MiniKiller
02-01-2006, 22:43
Scanned articles are not ok,
summaries though in the twilight zone will be tolerated, as long as they're no more than that.

-Mithrandir.

The only way I can better explain them is to write the paragraph that was in the preview..Mith, would this be ok or is that going to far? I could try to better explain but it is best described if I can write the couple paragraphs on that subject.

Templar Knight
02-01-2006, 22:45
If you put it into your own words would that be better?

Mithrandir
02-01-2006, 22:45
No,sorry.
Than you'd break the copyright...well more than has happened so far ;).

You'd maybe discourage people from buying the magazine, since they already know most of the article.

-Mithrandir.

Mithrandir
02-01-2006, 22:47
If you put it into your own words would that be better?

There's an option...

however, I am in posession of the article, so beware ...translate it very well. ;)

-Mithrandir.

asilv
02-01-2006, 22:49
Would you explain these points in more detail:
"-Men will LOOK AROUND for an opponent and separate from the larger group of men.
-Will attack/defend more based on situation on the battlefield (surrounded /the one doing the surrounding, individual decision making!)"

These are propably going to be just better unit animations without any effect to gameplay.

MiniKiller
02-01-2006, 23:00
Understood Mith. (There are a couple cases with 2 or 3 words the same in a row but I couldnt get around it! *ducks*)

All right, I'm going to try to describe that whole deal in my own words, clearer if possible.

Soldiers will look for their next opponent on the battle field on an individual basis. They will only consider enemies that can been seen in their line of sight. They wont go after enemies blocked by friendly soldiers. You will apparently be able to see them looking and turning their heads to find their next victim (or find the person who kills them! haha) Defenders will also look at their oncoming opponent and prepare for a defence move.

Soldiers will also treat each move based on changing battlefield conditions such as number of enemies around and ally strength. They also say the time between enemy attacks will also be taken into account. A soldier with more enemy around then ally will hold back a bit, more prepared to defend with their shield rather than lunge with their weapon.

As far as attacking/defending goes...There will be different animations for attacking, defending and finishing moves (one case had a soldier stab an enemy and put his foot on the body to take his sword out) Attacking animations can also fail, like a stabbing motion that doesnt kill the defender, so the attack can miss or be blocked, this allows the defender to counter attack.

Anti-hero
02-01-2006, 23:57
Thanks a lot, MiniKiller! Battles in this game will be the most spectacular thing of this type we've seen so far. It will certainly take me a lot of time to get used to watching battles. Can't wait for the game!! :)=)

MiniKiller
02-03-2006, 00:39
your welcome glad to help

ZombieFriedNuts
02-04-2006, 13:27
Can two solders gang up on one or will it just be one on one

Servius
02-04-2006, 16:03
Graphics are nice, but it's the AI that makes a game great or a flash in the pan. Most of this sounds like very small scale tactical AI (individual units making battlefield decisions).

The next layer is the Army battlefield AI, when the computer knows which units to take into battle, where to place which types of troops to best effect, how fast to move different types of troops and when, how to take advantage of terrain. For example, some spearmen and archers come upon a hill. Will the AI know to put the spears in a rounded shape low on the hill, forming a shell around the archers, placed higher on the hill?

Then you have strategic AIs, but there are several kinds: Military AIs that produce balanced armies and ensures they have a competent HQ in the stack, Domestic AIs that know how to build military and economic infrastructure, and Support AIs that know how to keep supply chains intact.

To me at least, the AI and engine are the game, the graphics are just the pretty wrapping paper. Rome's AI (as well as city mechanics and unit stats) left A LOT to be desired. I really hope MTW2 is made with greater care.

Afro Thunder
02-04-2006, 16:29
Can two solders gang up on one or will it just be one on one

That does not seem... honorable.

Lord Adherbal
02-04-2006, 21:38
this improved individual AI and combat moves stuff sounds like serious overkill to me. I can't even run MTW properly on huge unit scale - 4v4 on my 1.5Ghz PC. So what CPU will one need when all soldiers suddenly have their own individual AI ?

I'm happy to see they're promoting AI though, but I still have to see it before I believe it.

The_Doctor
02-07-2006, 00:09
According to the www.totalwar.com there is going to be an other PC Gamer mag tomorrow.

Is this ture?

MiniKiller
02-07-2006, 04:51
I suppose only time will tell.....when the time is right we shall know....time will reveal all...time is of the essence........time preserves all and answers all in due process....ok im done :idea2:

Zalmoxis
02-07-2006, 07:33
Um, men will leave my group to attack enemy? So during the stare down at the beginning of battles, half my men will die?

Dark_Magician
02-07-2006, 10:52
Um, men will leave my group to attack enemy? So during the stare down at the beginning of battles, half my men will die?

I guess those who will leave the group for lunch may survive, provided they aren't returning at the most sad moment.

TinCow
02-07-2006, 13:09

I think that probably only happens if you're very close to the enemy (no more standing 2 feet in front of them in perfect formation without contact) or charging. I would imagine seeing a charging unit lose a bit of cohesion. Some men will run faster and some will run slower. Some may attempt a one man flanking move, who knows.

Quietus
02-08-2006, 01:50
Thanks for the summary Minikiller. :)

According to the article, the soldiers will scan for enemy soldiers and they will disregard others that are not within immediate proximity.