PDA

View Full Version : CVG interview with CA's Bob Smith

Zatoichi
02-01-2006, 09:44
A new interview with CA's Bob Smith is up on the CVG website:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/interviews/interviews_story.php?id=133488

Interesting stuff - one thing I picked up on is that certain units will have a 'circle wagons' ability to create a defensive barrier... Lots of extra tidbits about the new battlefield terrain rendering in there as well.

sapi
02-01-2006, 10:13
cool!

Antiochius
02-01-2006, 12:46
Some interesting news

Basileus
02-01-2006, 13:19
nice, thanks for the link mate

Bob the Insane
02-01-2006, 16:01
A lot of questions answered in there. A full faction list, a hint of how the Aztecs will play (and I don't think they will be playable in the campaign), Castles and Cities and so on...

Monarch
02-01-2006, 16:44
I said in an another thread a week or so ago that the Aztecs would be forming quantity armies, not quality ones. Looks this way according to that interview. Also the 'bravery' will probably mean they'll have high moral.

Anti-hero
02-01-2006, 23:27
I read it too.
Why am I not surprised...

Congrats to all Scots. Imo, one of the English/Scottish struggle will be one of the most interesting and attractive conflicts to take part in.

5 East Europe factions (that's including Byzantium and the Golden Horde). 2 Orthodox factions. 21 - 5 - Aztecs = 15. No comment. :no:

Now, my last lingering hope - please, record a separate voice set for Byzantium, because in MTW Byzantium soldiers used to cry "Nastuplenie". This means "Attack" in Russian. Creative Assembly didn't even record a separate voice set for the two Orthodox factions, they just used one voice set for both. It was disgusting to hear Byzantines speaking Russian.

Anyway the battles sound better and better. I'll try to spend as much time as possible there and less on the strategic map.

MTW = Medieval:Tactical Warfare
~:rolleyes: ~:rolleyes: ~:rolleyes:

Mouzafphaerre
02-02-2006, 05:46

In Medieval 2 the player will have the option to choose whether to develop each settlement as a castle or a city.
:no:

Sir Robin
02-02-2006, 05:56
In Medieval 2 the player will have the option to choose whether to develop each settlement as a castle or a city.

True this is a bit disturbing. Unless the Europe Map is much bigger this will seriously limit gameplay, imho. Of course, we could be wrong and CA might pull this particular ~:confused: off brilliantly.

Mr White
02-02-2006, 10:49
I don't see the problem, I use the same division in my MTW game. Some provinces I develope for military reasons and the other just for the economy. The cities will still have some form of fotifications so won't be entirely helpless.

Bob the Insane
02-02-2006, 11:14
People always seem to forget how much of an abstraction the strategy portion of the game is already. Taking the castle route or the city route appears to be a symbol for focusing a province on either military or financial development.

The game will basically be the same as RTW and BI with settlement location that can be deleveloped. Now you have more choice and more powerful consequences for your choices which can only be a good think in a strategy game.

Of course we all in the dark really until they unvail all the new "features" in a simple list...

Duke John
02-02-2006, 11:34
Taking the castle route or the city route appears to be a symbol for focusing a province on either military or financial development.
No, I read somewhere that castles would give you an advantage early on (providing feudal troops) but later on cities provide more powerfull troops (gunpowder units, militia?).

Bob the Insane
02-02-2006, 11:40
No, I read somewhere that castles would give you an advantage early on (providing feudal troops) but later on cities provide more powerfull troops (gunpowder units, militia?).

What you are describing are the consequences of makig these strategic choices. Develope too many "castle" provinces and suffer in the later game, too many "city" provinces and you might not make it to the later game.

Of course this all really guess work at the moment..

Crazed Rabbit
02-02-2006, 16:27
Apparently in the middle ages noone successfully built a large city and added a castle to it.

Now, I'm for emphasizing a trading city or fortifications, but I don't think you should be to limited. You should also be able to bulid castles at strategic points in the countryside.

Crazed Rabbit

Kansuke
02-02-2006, 17:09
Have you got any new plans for the multiplayer component of the game?

Bob Smith: We have some ambitious plans for multiplayer battles. We can't go into further details on this as yet.

Alot of info on the MP side as usual:2thumbsup:

Orda Khan
02-02-2006, 17:32
Have you got any new plans for the multiplayer component of the game?

Bob Smith: We have some ambitious plans for multiplayer battles. We can't go into further details on this as yet.

Alot of info on the MP side as usual:2thumbsup:
The ambitious plans may be to provide a Lobby that is worthy of the name?

......Orda

Puzz3D
02-02-2006, 17:45
A lot of info on the MP side as usual.
If battles resolve fast and there is no overlap penalty, MTW2 multiplayer teamgames will be a 2 on 1 rush game.

hellenes
02-02-2006, 17:45
The ambitious plans may be to provide a Lobby that is worthy of the name?

......Orda

Or make the CD Key worth the ink that its printed in...
Its very disturbing to know that the scum that downloaded RTW off emule is enjoying it as much as the legitimate customer that paid for the game.

Hellenes

Martok
02-02-2006, 21:38
Apparently in the middle ages noone successfully built a large city and added a castle to it.

Now, I'm for emphasizing a trading city or fortifications, but I don't think you should be to limited. You should also be able to bulid castles at strategic points in the countryside.

Crazed Rabbit

I concur. I don't understand why castles and cities have to be mutually exclusive.

Ryanus
02-02-2006, 22:01
CA is just representing an abstract concept with building choices as they often do (religion in BI). A province with a city is devoted more to an urbanized, commercially based society, while one with a castle is more aristocratic and feudal in nature. I think this system will actually do a good job of representing the different styles of government in the middle ages. And I would be surprised if they don't have some sort of fortification buildable on the map similar to RTW's forts

AquaLurker
02-02-2006, 22:40
I like what I read so far. Hope they truely come out with good MP features.

Only one wish, please introduce supply routes and competent AI in campaign games.