PDA

View Full Version : Regarding MTW2 specs & my 'putie!

hellas1
02-02-2006, 01:33
Hello everyone!

I must say MTW2 is cool, 3d, "primitive" artillery and then gunpowder, yay!

If CA doesn't put out a Renaissance TW, they've GOT to be dumb.
In my opinion, THAT is the most intriguing of time and warfare periods!!!

Now, I have a 2.4 ghz processor, 1mb of Ram now, and 256 mb of Ram on my
Nvidia 6200 card.

Will this be enough to run MTW 2 or not?

BTW, I know the max settings for RTW are 1024x768
Is BI higher or not for max settings?
Also, Will MTW2 be out this year or next? I hope it IS this year!
Thank you all!

:2thumbsup:

Katana
02-02-2006, 02:15
First of all, I'm pretty sure you can run R:TW at resolutions higher than 1024x768 (most games support at least up to 1600x1200 if not higher), and it's pretty unusual for an expansion pack to differ drastically from the origional game in terms of graphical capibilities, so BI should be the same.

Second, if you're computer can run R:TW at medium settings, I suspect you'll be able to run M2 in one capacity or another. It might not be super-pretty, but it should run. I'd reccomend and upgrade before then, but that might not be possible. Personally, I'm planning on building a new computer a month or so after DX10 comes out, and one of the reasons I'm doing it is to play M2.

Last of all, release seems to be planned for some time in Q4 of this year. Still, this far out that's liable to change quite a bit. We might see it this fall, or we might see it spring of next year, or we might never see it at all. You never know.

HalfThere
02-02-2006, 05:09
Why are you lording your comp over us? You know that you'll obviously be able to manage it. You have RAM up the wazoo, a great video card, and CA has even announced that computers running RTW will be able to run MTW2 (albeit at lower graphics settings).

Sir Robin
02-02-2006, 05:49
Now, I have a 2.4 ghz processor, 1mb of Ram now, and 256 mb of Ram on my Nvidia 6200 card. Will this be enough to run MTW 2 or not?

If the application is actually going to be "building" bodies similar to the Massive engine of LOTR fame then it is going to require a pc with a lot of power to get the most out of it. If CA is thinking ahead they will include various graphic options to reduce the strain though sacrificing some bells and whistles for less than perfect game machines. I would suggest you start saving now for an upgrade right after MTW2 hits the shelves.

I don't remember the exact settings but BI did soak up a little more graphic juice if I recall correctly.

Also, Will MTW2 be out this year or next?

I would say Spring or Summer 2007 if they don't hit any major technical snags. I seriously doubt they will make a Christmas 2006 release despite the, I'm sure, serious industry pressure to.

Anyone with a better memory than me recall what the planned versus actual release dates for RTW, MTW, and STW were?

sapi
02-02-2006, 07:56
Why are you lording your comp over us? You know that you'll obviously be able to manage it. You have RAM up the wazoo, a great video card, and CA has even announced that computers running RTW will be able to run MTW2 (albeit at lower graphics settings).
rofl!
That's not a very powerful computer, but total war games have pretty low requirements, so you'll be fine...

Trajanus
02-02-2006, 09:21
rofl!
That's not a very powerful computer, but total war games have pretty low requirements, so you'll be fine...

Total War games have huge requirements unless you want to view them in very bad quality.

They are cutting edge games, new technology never has low requirements, otherwise my fun little ACER 900MHz PIII 128Mb RAM would run RTW! :dizzy2:

sapi
02-02-2006, 10:36
Total War games have huge requirements unless you want to view them in very bad quality.

They are cutting edge games, new technology never has low requirements, otherwise my fun little ACER 900MHz PIII 128Mb RAM would run RTW! :dizzy2:
lol i meant low if that other guy thought that this was a powerful computer rather than 'merely' (cough) a med range one; but since mtw2 is a modified version of the rtw engine, i don't see there being many performance differences between them. My comment was focused on this one, not the whole series.

And compare mtw2 to, say, oblivion, which requires a 6800/p4 3.0ghz for the reccomended specs. A total war game is never going to be that graphics card dependant; rather, they spread the load over all the hardware in your computer...

Ibn Munqidh
02-02-2006, 10:40
Ive got 3.2 AMD64,

512x2 RAM

GeForce 7800GTX

Creative Audigy 2

and still feel undergunned for this game. I mean I was able to run RTW on all highest settings. Seeing all those MTW2 pics really scare me.... Seems like it needs a BF2 machine.:juggle2:

hellas1
02-03-2006, 16:27
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your input.

I appreciate the comments.

BTW, Halfthere: I'm not lording over anyone sir, I just don't know, hence the reason for me asking.
I don't need an "ego" boost. I never said my computer was the best.
My computer is 2yrs. old anyway! cool?

Later.

P.S. Please don't respond to this anymore, we have to wait and see.

:skull:

Oaty
02-05-2006, 04:21
2 completely differnt games but obviously on the cutting edge of technology use

Oblivion (http://https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60748)

So it could quite possible the reccomended requirements may require close to a 3 GHZ processor. With the minimum ranging from 1.5 to 2 GHZ

This may be the first time I can't run a totalwar game without optimum settings :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

Mikeus Caesar
02-06-2006, 00:53
Hello everyone!

I must say MTW2 is cool, 3d, "primitive" artillery and then gunpowder, yay!

If CA doesn't put out a Renaissance TW, they've GOT to be dumb.
In my opinion, THAT is the most intriguing of time and warfare periods!!!

Now, I have a 2.4 ghz processor, 1mb of Ram now, and 256 mb of Ram on my
Nvidia 6200 card.

Will this be enough to run MTW 2 or not?

Also, Will MTW2 be out this year or next? I hope it IS this year!
Thank you all!

:2thumbsup:

If you've only got that much RAM, i'm surprised you can even start up your PC, never mind go on the intarwebs.

Ilsamir Lord
02-06-2006, 01:19
I imagine that the rebuild of the engine will result in streamlining as well. I'd be surprised if your machine couldn't run it, but I'd also be surprised if it could run it maxed out.

HighLord z0b
02-06-2006, 06:13
If we assume that M2TW will run on a computer designed to run RTW at maximum, plus the fact that it will have new features and more units, what kind of specs would you plan on having to run M2TW at maximum?
I'm thinking of buying a new PC and I'm not sure if I should wait till I see official specs before planning the purchase.

demon rob
02-08-2006, 11:55
If you've only got that much RAM, i'm surprised you can even start up your PC, never mind go on the intarwebs.

Bill Gates said no one would ever need more than 512K of ram, so he should be fine with 1MB

hellas1
02-09-2006, 01:38
I kindly asked folks to not respond to my initial question anymore.

However, since others have continued, so will I. Please STOP after giving me "some" input. Thanks

If I put another 1MB of Ram in my system, it being 2.4GHZ with the Nvidia 6200 card w/256 mb on it, should that be the equivalent of a 3.0GHZ machine?

Any insights would help!

Please level with me BTW! :book:

sapi
02-09-2006, 08:09
I kindly asked folks to not respond to my initial question anymore.

However, since others have continued, so will I. Please STOP after giving me "some" input. Thanks

If I put another 1MB of Ram in my system, it being 2.4GHZ with the Nvidia 6200 card w/256 mb on it, should that be the equivalent of a 3.0GHZ machine?

Any insights would help!

Please level with me BTW! :book:

For that reason i presume you mean 1gb of ram; and no, i think another gig would be wasted on that system; it's not really necessary to have 2gb imo until you are running a top of the range graphics card..

Moderator note: edited out unnecessary text; play nice

hellas1
02-09-2006, 15:40
Hello Sir!

Yes, I NOW noticed my typo: 1mb of RAM LOL, stupid of me.

I DID mean another 1GB of RAM, not mb of RAM. BTW, I already have 1 GB of RAM on my system.

Thank you!

BTW, I am playing RTW & BI on max. res., low anti-aliasing and everything else is medium setting. The boxes below are almost all checked with the exception of advanced unit shaders or rather which is greyed out along with another greyed out box.

Thanks everyone, bye bye

:skull: End of Discussion

econ21
02-09-2006, 16:11
:skull: End of Discussion

I was thinking of locking this thread now, but will keep it open as the title would allow it to cover other queries people have about M2TW and its system requirements. Any discussion is likely to be largely speculative at this point though.

hellas1
02-12-2006, 19:22
Hello All,

I was just asking a personal question initially. ~;)

I didn't mean for this to become a lengthy thread Mr. Appleton.
Please understand.

Hellas1

Veles
02-12-2006, 20:08
PCs that can play RTW happily at ~ medium settings I think would be able to run MTW2 on low settings at least. Am I right in saying the total war series tends to be rather CPU dependant rather than eavily GFX card dependant?

If so I hope they allow for multi core support, otherwise I'm a bit screwed.

Incongruous
02-14-2006, 05:19
Yep it is most definatley cpu hungry.

I reckon another gb of RAM should do me:2thumbsup:

hellas1
02-22-2006, 04:32
Hey folks,

Check this out by comparison:

IF MTW2 does require a 3.0 Ghz machine w/1GB ram and 256mb of Vid Ram, it's not a problem, WHY?

Wellllllll, if you look at SPQR's requirements given by LT, you'll see what is needed, as per him.

I now have 2.4 Ghz processor(same), 1MB RAM (512 more than my last post, I think?), and a Nvidia 6200 GT card w/256mb RAM (new since my last post, I think?) and downloaded SPQR and it works GREAT and nice and smooth IF you have the above & below specs:

All my settings are high, units large, except anti-aliasing (set to low)
and grass (set to low, setting this to no/none increases Frame rates I found out!).

Well, enjoy that boys and girls, cause I do do do do do!!! :2thumbsup:

sapi
02-22-2006, 07:16
Ive got 3.2 AMD64,

512x2 RAM

GeForce 7800GTX

Creative Audigy 2

and still feel undergunned for this game. I mean I was able to run RTW on all highest settings. Seeing all those MTW2 pics really scare me.... Seems like it needs a BF2 machine.:juggle2:
That's a bf2 machine you just described :laugh4:

But i think that mtw2 will be scaleable, just like the other total war games...