PDA

View Full Version : Whats your broswer?

Monarch
02-03-2006, 22:38
Because every technology discussion forum on the internet should have at least 156.1 of these polls, I figured I'd start us off :juggle2:

So what do you use? Opera? Firefox? Internet Explorer? *gulp* Other???!

(Oh and mods, please attach a poll :laugh4: )

Personally, I'm FireFox. I dont really care about the faster speeds (I have a 2mg internet connection), the 0.000001% less chance of getting hacked, for me it's the tabs. I know Opera has them but when I was choosing my browser opera had ads, FF didnt. Oh and of course theres a little 'stickin it to the man' stuff in there too.

John86
02-03-2006, 23:17
Mozilla Firefox. Ive seen a huge reduction in pop ups and adware since I started using it.

The_Doctor
02-03-2006, 23:19
Internet Explorer.

Craterus
02-03-2006, 23:20
I use IE.

TosaInu
02-03-2006, 23:39
Which poll options do you want Sovereign?

IE
FireFox
Opera
--

I use several browsers.

Lemur
02-03-2006, 23:51
Firefox 90% of the time.
IE 5% of the time.
Oddball browsers 5% of the time.

Reenk Roink
02-03-2006, 23:56
I very, very, recently switched to Firefox (like 5 days ago), and I am noticing what all the hype is about. I still occansionally pop up a IE window, but this is becoming rare.

Proletariat
02-04-2006, 00:02
Firefox! I love it. Greatly reduced my adware/pop-up issues.

Quietus
02-04-2006, 01:16
Always been Netscape, but switched to Firefox a couple years ago.

hoom
02-04-2006, 01:49
Firefox

drone
02-04-2006, 01:56
Mozilla Suite. A little more configurable than straight Firefox, and I use the mail and composer some as well.

Xiahou
02-04-2006, 03:39
Firefox
IE (rarely- for work related web-based applications)
Mozilla suite (only on my Linux box)

Monarch
02-04-2006, 13:15
Which poll options do you want Sovereign?

IE
FireFox
Opera
--

I use several browsers.

Options: (please make it so people can chose more than one)

IE
FF
Opera
Other (state in post)

Dutch_guy
02-04-2006, 14:21
Internet explorer...

What's the big deal with firefox and all those other browsers... why are they so much better than IE ?

:balloon2:

Alexander the Pretty Good
02-04-2006, 17:47
They are generally less riddled with security issues, for starters.

Plus, it lets you stick it to Bill Gates.

The Fox is on Fire!

drone
02-04-2006, 19:32
Internet explorer...

What's the big deal with firefox and all those other browsers... why are they so much better than IE ?

The main issue is that IE is coupled into the Windows operating system. IE allows sites to do things to your computer through ActiveX. This is good for only 1 thing: Windows Updates. Otherwise, this is a portal for all sorts of malware from websites. They have tightened up security some in IE, but the ActiveX weak link still remains.

I use IE for one thing, and one thing only, Windows Updates. If a site doesn't render properly in another browser, they are not using the proper standards and do not get my business. I think the latest Netscape allows you to turn ActiveX on (not sure what the default setting is), so I would stay away from that as well.

Mouzafphaerre
02-04-2006, 19:56
Mozilla is my main browser (why not in the list? :san_angry:) and Firefox does my dirty work.

Monarch
02-04-2006, 22:00
Internet explorer...

Dropping the tech stuff, the tabs are excellent. Allows you to have x number of sites open in just one window, it means your tqaskbar isn't screwed up with fifty windows, all you need to do is hit cntrl T and bang you've got a new tab, then you use the bookmark toolbar (i think IE has something similar) where you get yuor fave sites on a handy toolbar resting above your tabs, you click one of them and your at your site. Tabs allow for faster and more organised browsing I find.

Also not that I do but there's quite alot of cool looking skins you can d/l.

Edit: A nice link for you: http://browsehappy.com/

Edit: I didn't put mozzilla in quite simply because it's not that popular. If you want a suite, I thought most people used the 'interlocking' qualities of firefox/thunderbird or simply Opera which is a suite. Mozilla isn't as popular as the others imo.

Viking
02-04-2006, 23:04
Internet Explorer, in all its glory.

Martok
02-05-2006, 05:44
I've been using IE for years, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about Firefox the last 6 months or so. I'm of a mind to try it out, but is there anything I should know about it first before downloading it?

Dutch_guy
02-05-2006, 13:14
Dropping the tech stuff, the tabs are excellent. Allows you to have x number of sites open in just one window, it means your tqaskbar isn't screwed up with fifty windows, all you need to do is hit cntrl T and bang you've got a new tab, then you use the bookmark toolbar (i think IE has something similar) where you get yuor fave sites on a handy toolbar resting above your tabs, you click one of them and your at your site. Tabs allow for faster and more organised browsing I find.

Also not that I do but there's quite alot of cool looking skins you can d/l.

Edit: A nice link for you: http://browsehappy.com/

Edit: I didn't put mozzilla in quite simply because it's not that popular. If you want a suite, I thought most people used the 'interlocking' qualities of firefox/thunderbird or simply Opera which is a suite. Mozilla isn't as popular as the others imo.

ah thanks for the link man !

has got some good info on the browsers, and I think I'll give firefox a try and see how much better it's supposed to be.

Adrian II
02-05-2006, 13:57
I am a proud and satisfied Maxthon (http://www.myie2.com/html_en/download.htm) user since LeftEyeNine advertised this browser in another thread a couple weeks ago. It took me a week to get used to, but I love its speed, its tabbed browsing, its Group options, its pop-up killer, its Super Drag&Drop, etcetera. You can load and install it in a jiffy and if you want to scrap it, it uninstalls swiftly and completely (I checked, did a trial run).

Lemur
02-05-2006, 19:47
I'm sure Maxthon is fine and dandy, but I'm sticking with the Fox for a few reasons:

I like using open source software when possible. There are ramifications to it that go way beyond my personal browsing experience.
I can use the same browser on all three of my operating systems -- WinXP, Linux and Mac OS X.
The updates are frequent and worthwhile.
Absoultely no chance of anybody running any Active X scripts on my boxen.

Knight Templar
02-05-2006, 20:13
I mostly use Firefox, Opera sometimes.

ajaxfetish
02-06-2006, 01:49
Good old Internet Explorer. I suppose I should get something better, but I'm lazy . . . and none too tech-savvy.

Ajax

discovery1
02-06-2006, 02:03
Mozilla proper. Got it after some popup fiasco here. Sometimes use Firefox.

Mouzafphaerre
02-06-2006, 04:35
Mozilla proper. Got it after some popup fiasco here. Sometimes use Firefox.
There's a man! ~:thumb:

C-F
02-06-2006, 15:14
Using Opera for about 3 years now and have no complains for about 95% of my browsing.

Some sites insist on IE e.g. my kids .EDU so I have to switch for these tasks... :laugh4: ;
oh, use it also to print and/or save webpages (easier to print and more structure in save)

Have tried firefox, but for some reason it doesn't like my rigg (freezes and takes its time 'doing' things...):inquisitive:

GoreBag
02-06-2006, 15:27
Firefox, but IE for my hotmail-checking, just because the link through msn is faster.

Mikeus Caesar
02-07-2006, 00:05
I know Opera has them but when I was choosing my browser opera had ads, FF didnt. Oh and of course theres a little 'stickin it to the man' stuff in there too.

Actually, the latest version of Opera, which i use, is completely free and no longer has ads. 8.5 i think. You should get it. After all, the more obscure the browser, the more you stick it to the man!

Zalmoxis
02-07-2006, 00:55
I use IE, cuz it's the bomb, yo! :laugh4:

Quietus
02-07-2006, 02:26
I use IE, cuz it's the bomb, yo! :laugh4: Yo, yo. Have you tried dem Firefox, dawg?

In Russia, Firefox blogs you!

Zalmoxis
02-07-2006, 07:39
No, I don't trust those types of free programs. What does it do that IE doesn't?

Seagrave
02-07-2006, 07:46
Just switched to Fire fox about a month ago, I got to say I like it. Love the tabs, and the favorites in the toolbar stuff

Zalmoxis
02-07-2006, 09:09
Um, doesn't IE have the same thing?

NOTE: I think this is my 500th post, I'm celebrating!

Matrixman
02-07-2006, 09:43
Firefox - the tabbed browsing and lack of pop-ups make it a winner for me

Alexander the Pretty Good
02-08-2006, 04:02
Zal - last time I checked, IE doesn't have tabbed browsing, which is very useful, particularly when managing posting and reading in multiple forums. Though I think I heard IE was going to get the tabs, but only because all the cool people were doing it.

And FF just is safer than IE. drone made a nice short post explaining the weakness inherent in IE.

Xiahou
02-08-2006, 04:28
Zal - last time I checked, IE doesn't have tabbed browsing, which is very useful, particularly when managing posting and reading in multiple forums.I thought they added tabs in IE7- but it still sucks by comparison. It has none of the customization, addons, ect.

NodachiSam
02-08-2006, 04:37
Firefox, IE when I check e-mail through MSN messenger. I haven't really looked back.

R'as al Ghul
02-08-2006, 11:33
Firefox rocks!
I stick with it since version 0.7, I think. During that time the pros for
Firefox were even more evident. (pop-ups seemed to disappear completely from the web when I started using it).
When at work I have to use IE 6.0 which sucks majorly.
For example clicking on "go to last post" results in veeeeeeery long loading
times, whereas when I click the last page directly and then scroll down I get
there much faster. It's cumbersome. Also no tabs in this one. :furious3:
I tested some alternatives and have K-Meleon and Opera installed.
K-Meleon loads pretty fast and Opera is restricted to my uni research matters.
On my Linux machine I usually also use Firefox but sometimes Konqueror.

The only thing that IE does better is when I save a webpage. In the html
file there'll be a line telling you when and from where you've saved it.

Mouzafphaerre
02-08-2006, 18:03
No, I don't trust those types of free programs. What does it do that IE doesn't?
Doesn't leave your computer open to all kinds of spyware/malware intrusion by the evil device called active-x, to begin with... ~:handball:

Zalmoxis
02-09-2006, 07:06
I'm more paranoid on switching browser because I have a feeling they will watch and record everything I do.

Mouzafphaerre
02-09-2006, 15:57
~:eek: They do! :hide:

Orda Khan
02-09-2006, 17:13
Firefox......no pop ups

......Orda

Xiahou
02-10-2006, 18:10
Doesn't leave your computer open to all kinds of spyware/malware intrusion by the evil device called active-x, to begin with... ~:handball:
Looks like this is in the news again too.

Internet Explorer users can be as much as 21 times more likely to end up with a spyware-infected PC than people who go online with Mozilla's Firefox browser, academic researchers from Microsoft's backyard said in a recently published paper.link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060210/tc_cmp/179102616)

Monarch
02-10-2006, 20:19
Actually, the latest version of Opera, which i use, is completely free and no longer has ads. 8.5 i think. You should get it. After all, the more obscure the browser, the more you stick it to the man!

Yeah I know. I guess to too carefully chose my wording.

"back when I was choosing my broswer opera had ads"

They had them when I was looking for a new broswer, now im too comfty at FF to switch lol.

Zalmoxis
02-11-2006, 07:29
Seriously though, does Firefox watch everything you do?

Lemur
02-11-2006, 07:42
A browser cannot "watch" what you do. It's a piece of software hosted on your PC -- all by its lonesome, it does nothing. Now, when you tell the browser to go to Amazon, it is aware that you're asking it to go to Amazon. It even records this information in its history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_privacy#Data_logging), and downloads any of the associated cookies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_cookie) that come with visiting Amazon.com. But it's your browser on your PC, and you can erase the history and the cookies.

But none of this equals your browser "watching" you. There are various ways in which your web experience could be tracked, but I'm not going to go into them here, since it's late and the infant lemur knows no mercy on a sleepy dada lemur. Here's a good article to get you started on web browser privacy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_privacy) (FWIW, the thing most likely to compromise your privacy is called a "tracking cookie.")

Remember, there are three people who know what you're looking at: You, your web browser (which isn't really a person, but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase this), and the site you're viewing (unless you use a proxy web service (http://www.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-home.html)). None of this is wrong or bad. What's scary is when a third party finds a way to track you. And lordy do they try. Anybody remember DoubleClick? (http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453060829)

Xiahou
02-11-2006, 07:49
Well, if you're really paranoid, you could just tell FF to delete cookies every time you close your browser. The downside is that cookies are what keeps your login to this and other sites.... So you'd have to relogin everytime you opened FF again. More trouble that Im willing to go thru. :shrug:

Just load up spyware blaster and do periodic adaware scans.

LeftEyeNine
02-12-2006, 06:14
I am a proud and satisfied Maxthon (http://www.myie2.com/html_en/download.htm) user since LeftEyeNine advertised this browser in another thread a couple weeks ago. It took me a week to get used to, but I love its speed, its tabbed browsing, its Group options, its pop-up killer, its Super Drag&Drop, etcetera. You can load and install it in a jiffy and if you want to scrap it, it uninstalls swiftly and completely (I checked, did a trial run).

Aah, here's my man :smoking:

Maxthon

" The only browser that can cook you bacon & eggs while singing Janis Joplin's Mercedes Benz "

(Ok at least I tried..)

Strike For The South
02-12-2006, 06:34
(Be nice or be elsewhere. - Beirut)

Monarch
02-12-2006, 13:34

Wow, so how to you download....anything lol. Open source is basically what keeps my PC going. For graphics I have the GIMP, for broswing I have FF, for office suit software I have Open Office etc etc.

Thousands of people worldwide use Firefox, trust me, the people who make it are much nicer people than the devil worshippers that made IE ~:thumb:

yes, I have not met any of the people that made either program. It was a joke. Please dont kill me :)

Mouzafphaerre
02-12-2006, 16:45
In Mozilla and Firefox you can micromanage cookies and permissions precisely. You can let only certain sites set cookies for instance, or ban certain ones likewise.

AntiochusIII
02-20-2006, 01:10
I just changed to Firefox recently (read: thirty minutes ago, approximately) and is loving it in its entirety. With add-ons like no script and ad-block installed, my marriage with Internet Explorer's dangerous surfing affair is now officially over. Firefox is faster, looks cooler, safer, and easier than IE would ever be.

DIVORCE! HA! STICK IT TO THE MAN, BILL!

I thank you all orgahs, especially noteworthy Lemur, for showing my ignorant soul the Light of open-source and free softwares.

*prepares to convert Zalmoxis* :laugh4:

Lemur
02-20-2006, 03:25
Aw, shucks ... I'm deeply honored that my attempts to pimp open source software have been useful.

~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp: ~:pimp:

Proletariat
02-20-2006, 03:45
Firefox is faster, looks cooler, safer, and easier than IE would ever be.

DIVORCE! HA! STICK IT TO THE MAN, BILL!

Congratulations! Lemur's most likely already sent you a pm detailing the FF secret hand shake, but here's a thread for the meantime that talks about some useful extensions.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60725