PDA

View Full Version : Summer Heat and the Woods

Weebeast
02-05-2006, 07:03
Would you like to see heavy knights getting 'irritated' by heat during the summer (I'm not talking only in desert)?

I was just reading stuff about Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) and it mentioned King of Poland's strategy of waiting in woods to hide from the sun. I think it'd be cool to see that in MTW2 and that playing the game is more than just flanking.

Of course there will be a time when AI just doesn't wait for its opponent to tire out particularly when it's on the offense but still...

sapi
02-05-2006, 08:12
Would you like to see heavy knights getting 'irritated' by heat during the summer (I'm not talking only in desert)?

I was just reading stuff about Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) and it mentioned King of Poland's strategy of waiting in woods to hide from the sun. I think it'd be cool to see that in MTW2 and that playing the game is more than just flanking.

Of course there will be a time when AI just doesn't wait for its opponent to tire out particularly when it's on the offense but still...Sounds good!

Dutch_guy
02-05-2006, 13:40
Your added fatigue idea is all right, though I wouldn't get my hopes up too high !

As for the woods, I would definately hope CA is going to make them more important, ass they were in MTW and which they weren't in Rome.

I mean I've won battles in Medieval because I put my urban militias in the woods and know they would win against knights due to their bonusses they'd get in the woods against cav.
In rome I have never won or lost a battle because I was led into the woods the bonusses the units - especially the barbarian units - got in the woods seemed ..well just not good enough, why fight the battle in the woods while you could just as eaily fight it on the plains - at least you could see your units when fighting on hte plain ~;).

So not only make woods more important in MTW2, also shrink those overly large trees to a better size, don't want to lose a battle only because I didn''t know where my troops were...

:balloon2:

Rodion Romanovich
02-05-2006, 16:58
I agree, the woods are a must, especially when fighting the golden horde ~:). I remember using the woods extensively when fighting the horde in MTW. However it felt a little like exploiting, as the horde could technically have waited outside the forest area all until you starved to death... So IMO the woods should be more powerful than in RTW, but it should mostly be smaller forest areas and not all-map-covering forests, so that always part of your line will have to be outside the forest. The funniest battles in MTW were the ones where there were many smaller forests on the map, which allowed for loads of ambush possibilities and made proper scouting, when going after the enemy, essential.

Would be great if the enemy also did fake retreats and stuff, only to make you rush after them to avoid one of those annoying withdrawals without a fight you often see in RTW, and then when you follow them you discover - too late - that they had an ambushed prepared for you. But for that to work there should be less information about the enemy strength - both in number of units and unit types - than there is in RTW. I'd like it if the info was restricted to number of men in total, or maybe if you had a spy some knowledge which could be about 15% off from the real about how big percentage is cav, missile and infantry. Because otherwise you'd just see there were too few enemy unit retreating and not fall for the trap for such an IMO ridiculous game engine exploit reason...

Silver Rusher
02-05-2006, 17:42
Would be great if the enemy also did fake retreats and stuff, only to make you rush after them to avoid one of those annoying withdrawals without a fight you often see in RTW, and then when you follow them you discover - too late - that they had an ambushed prepared for you.
Brilliant!

I do remember that happening to me once in RTW, although it must have just been a fluke-chance coincidence that that was what happened, of course the AI couldn't have been planning it.

The exploitation of the AI thing could come in the way of this too, though. It is too easy to exploit the AI using various tricks in TW games, and it won't be long before someone would find a way of telling whether the retreat is feigned or real.

spmetla
02-06-2006, 09:52
It'd certainly give a bit of purpose of the horse archers and light cav of the Turks. Of course they'd need larger maps again and not have the battle count as a loss if you killed hundreds of the enemy without engaging in melee combat and then withdrew when you were short on arrows.