PDA

View Full Version : Some quirks and oddities:

PseRamesses
02-05-2006, 17:38
Playing Makedonia for some 50 years I came across some minor problems.

1. Halfway between Pella and Ambrakia, where the two moutainlakes are, there seems to be some serious movementpenalties. My army got stuck (almost) there for two turns. Pyrrhus was stalking me and this didn´t effect him though. I could only move one tile the first turn, the second turn my general could only move yet another til but the rest of the srmy could move all the way to Ambrakia.

2. Sometimes, in other places, my general can´t move more than one or a couple of tiles. There´s no swamp around. Have you implemented any movement penalites in any other terraintypes?

3. The landbridge between Attike and Peloponnesus is flooded - raise the terrain! Also the passage (green area when moving) suggests a crossing NW of the actual landbridge. I can also sail strait over this L.B, since it´s submerged.

4. I had a couple of CTD´s but nothing serious, yet, except in the beginning of 264bc. Only way around this was to turn the script off for one turn. This could possible be related to the event thast I was laying seige to Nicomedia and the advisor warns be of this action. When I reloaded and didn´t re-activate the script the game loaded fine but when I, the same turn, builded a watchtower in Odrusai a huge black square appeared right beneath it. Also the Whole snowcover became gery and squared in the whole Danube basin. Related to the first event?

5. The M heavy cavs are tanks! They roll over everything and even steam right through a 5-7 row deep phalanx unit. Started a Hellas game last night and I do have serious probs with theese guys. I looked at the stats and they are not THAT tough. Could the problem be at the receiving end? The statoinary phalanx unit 7-8 rows deep would be impassable for any cav, except eles, in real life. This is NOT the case in the game. Pleas do increase the defesive strength of the phalanxes.

6. Epirote has eastern watchtower arhitechture styled watchtowers.

Thx for a great game! If the beta is this good now I wonder how great this game will be when you, like RTR, will be getting up to your 5th or 6th release. Can´t wait. Keep up the good work!

Teleklos Archelaou
02-05-2006, 18:40
1 & 2. I would guess you're general got really sick or was wounded badly in a battle. That is the only thing that would make sense as I've played a lot in that area and never had that problem. Look closely at your traits and see if that is the case the next time it happens.

3. That landbridge has to be that way - it's the only way ships and people can both get across. It just looks a little weird only when you select 'movement' and it shows your unit's path would cross the water instead of the land. No big deal really.

6. We don't know why the hellenic factions are placing eastern watchtowers. If anyone can figure this out, please let us know. It's very strange.

PseRamesses
02-05-2006, 21:30
1 & 2. I would guess you're general got really sick or was wounded badly in a battle. That is the only thing that would make sense as I've played a lot in that area and never had that problem. Look closely at your traits and see if that is the case the next time it happens.
3. That landbridge has to be that way - it's the only way ships and people can both get across. It just looks a little weird only when you select 'movement' and it shows your unit's path would cross the water instead of the land. No big deal really.
6. We don't know why the hellenic factions are placing eastern watchtowers. If anyone can figure this out, please let us know. It's very strange.

1&2. Thx, I´ll have a closer loook next time this happens.
3. Oh, so it was intentional. Hmm, I guess this is a portrayment of the channel there?!
6. What faction are the Epirote´s based upon? Could explain it.

Teleklos Archelaou
02-05-2006, 21:36
Not a portrayal of a channel there, but of the diolkos. Play a game as the makedonians and read about the unique building there. :grin:

As I said, we don't know why the culture grouping that epeiros is part of (Romani/Epeiros/Maks/KH) is placing watchtowers that are supposed to be there for the eastern factions. It is some techincal glitch. We don't intend for them to be like that.

PseRamesses
02-05-2006, 21:56
Not a portrayal of a channel there, but of the diolkos. Play a game as the makedonians and read about the unique building there. :grin:.

Hmm, I better start reading all the descriptions. Have just recently been reading up on them since they litter the Aegean - great touch. Musta missed that one in Peloponnesus... maybee since I owned it ;) Again, great work! Send my best to the team.

PseRamesses
02-06-2006, 15:08
Oh, I found yet another note today from my Makedonian campaign.

1. In 258bc? the "plague-event" in Makedonia occurs but without the plague!? I get the message but no plague... anywhere.

2. Moving troops into the vincinity of Karia activates a script that warns me for further incursions since the Ptolemies will consider this an act of war. Well, I took Halicarnassus/ Karia and they didn´t bother.

PseRamesses
02-08-2006, 15:32
@Teleklos Archelaou,

Here are some more "quirks":
1. When an ally declare war on an ally the sign is misleading which has coused me to choose the wrong one to ally with. The sign says "On:", should be "By" and the line below says "Ally:", should be "On:" Or is my english really this bad? ;)
2. May I suggest that the mappers open up northern Danish landmass called Jylland and make room for a fjord there. There´s already a river there but it´s a fjord navigatable for ships.
3. In my Karth-game all rebs in africa has blank banners. This means you can´t distict when they are routing as easy.
4. When you hold the cursor over an unit during a siege a sign appears that tells you the units name etc. The text in this sign is transperent and held against a dark background like shadow, dusk etc it´s hard to see the text. Myaybee my old eyes are failing me ;)
5. The new EB-siege graphs surrounding the town is to largely masked which means getting units in tight for reinforcements are impossible in tight spots.
6. I´m baffled to see that whet I get attack by multiple armygroups and I retreat to the furtherst corner the attack foe angages me but the second one jus stands at the entrypoint and I actually have to stroll over there and insult them until they are ticked of and starts pursuing me. This has happened every time with multiple armies. I play on M/strat and VH/batt.

That´s all for today, see ya!

PseRamesses
02-10-2006, 00:27
@Teleklos Archelaou,

More information for you:

I noticed that you use landbridges in many placesbut not at Gibraltar. I know you´ve probably discussed this internally before deciding not to include one there. Wouldn´t it be great though for both the Iberians and Karth if you could open this possibility?

Opening the faction overview window and clicking on "?" opens your factions victory conditions and all of them highlights on the strat map which is awsome IMO. In my recent KH-game only the ones in Asia Minor was highlighted although there was more in the in the conditions than was "blinking" on the map. Do they only get highlighted when your in the vincinity? Can I turn it off... the blinking I mean?

When Ancyra rebels it turns Aeudi and when the Arabian cities do they turn Parthian???

Is it possible to change the Dacian faction color to something in between KH´s and Ptol´s? It´s hard to tell them apart as it s now.

Teleklos Archelaou
02-14-2006, 05:49
-Yeah, we had some long discussions about the crossable straits. We wound up including those gaps that were within a certain distance, and felt like Gibraltar was just too much outside it. It and the English Channel were two that had arguments for and against, but in the end we were pretty much in agreement that they should be left out.
-The scripting guys know more about the victory conditions, I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant of how that works or how it can be changed. I admit I don't know that I've ever looked at it but once. :grin:
-Those rebelling provinces are a pain in the tookus, but we can't do anything about it. THey have to rebel to someone - and it's usually faction creator. We have to set one faction - as slave makes them 'roman'. SO Ancyra is best to rebel to Aedui, even though we don't like it.
-We're talking about the Getai color on the minimap. Maybe we can change it. If we don't, we could supply an alternate color and an easy fix.
-About the fjord: you'd need to present some clear information or maps about the place you're talking about. Stormy is our guy in charge of making sure the map matches the real terrain - but if it's wrong and you post something to correct it, we can get his attention here to it.
-The blank banners thing is a bug we don't know what is causing it though. It only happens in a few places with a few factions. Sorry I don't have a better answer. There is no logical reason it seems why it's doing that. But we have new banners in the patch, so maybe it will stop.
-As for sieges, in vanilla could units get closer during a siege? I didn't think they could, but it's been a year since I played vanilla... :grin:

blacksnail
02-14-2006, 06:02
They could in vanilla - you could move an army right up to a city side. EB is the first time I've seen that immobile ring. It's still possible to move up if you position your army carefully and right-click on the settlement, but then it tries to start its own independent siege. I never tried hitting "yes," you may want to check that to see if there are issues with the siegework graphic on the map.

PseRamesses
02-14-2006, 12:47
About the fjord: you'd need to present some clear information or maps about the place you're talking about. Stormy is our guy in charge of making sure the map matches the real terrain - but if it's wrong and you post something to correct it, we can get his attention here to it.:

Just send me a mail at pse@brevet.se and I´ll return a marked map for you.

-As for sieges, in vanilla could units get closer during a siege? I didn't think they could, but it's been a year since I played vanilla... :grin:
This really needs some attention. It´s true that in vanilla, BI and various mods you could bring up reinforcements just right next to the city (where the EB siege image is now) without actually engaging the besieging force. Talk to your teamies, they´ll confirm this.

Teleklos Archelaou
02-14-2006, 16:48
I've posted on the map issue and the siege graphics issues in their respective areas on the internal boards. I'll keep a watch on it but can't make any promises that we will be able to fix the siege issue or what the mappers will do.

PseRamesses
02-14-2006, 21:59
I've posted on the map issue and the siege graphics issues in their respective areas on the internal boards. I'll keep a watch on it but can't make any promises that we will be able to fix the siege issue or what the mappers will do.
Thx, you´ll do what you can.

Regarding the "fjord" in northern Denmark (Jylland) just take an atlas and look at the map of Denmark then you´ll know what I´m talking about. You can´t miss it. Back in 300bc the sea-level was also some 5m higher than today. But even today you can easily sail/ navigate a large ship through here.
Also, making two l.b´s connecting the "tip" of mainland Jylland should be made. On an ordinary atlas map you´ll see where.