PDA

View Full Version : Whether weather

Sykotyk Rampage
02-05-2006, 22:14
(copied from my post on line of sight -but it is a neat concept)

I re-installed mtw1 a couple of days ago, and the weather was a huge "improvement", sad thought since it was out first, compared to rtw.
rtw was very bland, weather, battle fields, campaign map, etc.

Weather on the campaign map would be excellent, also, storms, blizzards, droughts, changes in ground conditions, your piece should move around storms or suffer move penalties, losses etc. This would make the campaign map even more of an "environment" and strategic.

If Ca goes to 4 turns this is even more desirable. Storms that appear and disappear leaving effects on the terrain and pieces on the campaign map. Instead of this flood just appears, where did the flood come from? Snow effects would be even more noticeable and again change the movement patterns, strategies.

The campaign map would be a dynamic setting not just a "map" anymore. This would immerse the player even more into the "real" events of the world.

Just a thought on a Sunday afternoon.

BDC
02-05-2006, 23:35
There really should be weather. It was so important and cinematic in STW... And isn't at all in RTW. Was very disappointing.

Furious Mental
02-06-2006, 07:04
The weather in Shogun was awesome. Truly atmospheric.

Dutch_guy
02-06-2006, 16:52
SR, I know what you mean.

Weather should be a major factor in battle, as it was in Shogun and Medieval.
In Medieval I'd never fight a battle with my english longbows in the rain - never.
While in Rome I knew I was going to win anyhow, so I never really bothered with sometihng as ''unimportant'' as the weather.

Battlefields should get muddy. horses ( Knights ) should recieve charge penalties as should archers,units should move a little bit slower, your line of sight should be constricted in heavy storms, archers should not be able to fire fire-arrows when it rains etc etc.

:balloon2:

Orda Khan
02-08-2006, 18:06
The weather in Shogun was awesome. Truly atmospheric.
Very true!! It was also the most diverse.....MTW weather was awful after Shogun. IIRC MTW weather was a bit buggy, as in every battle on temperate setting contained some rainfall, one of the reasons why most MP battles were fought on Mediterranean settings. When I think back to how realistic the weather conditions were in STW it makes me wonder why it is so poor now

........Orda

Lord Adherbal
02-08-2006, 18:37
well, we can only hope M2TW will atleast bring ALL the MTW features and gameplay elements to the RTW engine, and isn't just RTW with knights and crusades. This includes the weather, slower gameplay, much deeper tactical gameplay were things such as formation depth actualy has an influence on unit performance, etc

Sykotyk Rampage
02-08-2006, 19:11
So poor? Come Orda, you are giving it credit. It is non-existent. RTW totally did away with atmosphere.

I would like to see atmospheric conditions (STW type) extended to the campaign map not just the battlefield.
(And put back into the battlefields)
Oh the changes in the campaign map strategy to have to move, around, through, into weather conditions. Not just a white blanket on the map. Why not freak snowstorms, lightning, torrential rains, hail, frogs falling from the sky- and I mean that one...just once lol.

Drought, which browns an area of the map, your citizens starve, rebel, die.

Avalanches blocking passes, trapping your army in a frozen landscape, stopping your army retreating from the two stacks chasing you down. hehehehe

Torrential rain upstream, rivers flood, washing away the bridge you just happen to need to re-enforce a besieged city before it falls next turn. Opps didn't make it this turn. Guess they either sally, or surrender.

Your ships sailing through the seas, lost to hurricane force winds, or blown off course. Storms become frightful and strategic...do you force sail through it this turn, hoping for the best because your admiral is a 6 star, do you sail around taking an extra turn chancing that the enemy is not there, do you wait it out in position losing a turn of movement, slowing your plans, re-enforcements never arriving in time.

Winds that blow across the map, clouds...mmmm clouds

Oh the effects are endless,

I am sure you get the picture, a living-changing environment, that affects and effects the terrain, cities, and pieces on the campaign map. Now your pieces are not just tokens you move around a "map", but armies that are affected by their changing season environments.

As it is I see no effects of winter, storms, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes etc....
(Yes I know there ARE effects in game right now but minimal)