PDA

View Full Version : Odd reinforcements

Dooz
02-06-2006, 12:21
In my war against the Iberians, oftentimes the large reinforcement armies would come in and line up in strange formations, spread all over the place. This seemed to happen actually every time a reinforcement army would join the battle. Odd behaviours afterwards as well.

https://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3199/oddreinforcements4hg.th.jpg (https://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oddreinforcements4hg.jpg)

Is this intended?

galathas
02-07-2006, 13:17
I have seen the same thing. The units seem to wander around without any formation or aim. As a player you can easily wipe out unit after unit since they dont support each other anymore. I have also had battles where the reinforcemts would spread out all across the batllemap and then stop moving.
I have seen Iberian, roman and sweboz reinforcement armies behave like this.

Teleklos Archelaou
02-07-2006, 17:56
This is very interesting guys. Something is going on weird with reinforcements - here are some observations:

1. Our biggest CTD issue seems to deal with AI units merging together and causing a CTD. Something possibly to do with having extra movement points or something, as when a player takes over the AI faction causing the crash and uses up all their movement points, no CTD will occur. (Is this a fair summary of that issue?)
2. Our second biggest CTD issue has to do with two AI armies fighting against the human player. Whenever there are reinforcements that the AI brings to the battle, we seem to get CTD's at the *end* of the battle, upon returning to the strat map.
3. I believe that I have seen a lot more "Reinforcements delayed" - virtually every battle that I have with reinforcements has my reinforcements coming in late. And every battle that the AI brings reinforcements to (before the exit to strat map CTD) has them being delayed too. I played a lot of RTW vanilla and I never saw this before some of our recent builds (and the OB).
4. AI reinforcements seem to be acting batty once they get to the field sometimes (not always though I think), as this post describes.

So the question is: what is causing all of this? Is it one single problem? What could it possibly be related to or derived from? We will crown anyone with laurels and put a big thank you on the front page of our website, with your avatar and praises if someone can figure this problem out for us. Seriously! I will make sure this happens! We just need an answer. Where is that supersleuth james nong when you need him? :grin:

Malrubius
02-07-2006, 18:14
This is very interesting guys. Something is going on weird with reinforcements - here are some observations:

1. Our biggest CTD issue seems to deal with AI units merging together and causing a CTD. Something possibly to do with having extra movement points or something, as when a player takes over the AI faction causing the crash and uses up all their movement points, no CTD will occur. (Is this a fair summary of that issue?)

Actually, you don't have to use up all the movement points. You just have to manually merge the AI armies.

Here is an example of the problem:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1044505&postcount=134

By switching control the the problem faction and manually merging the armies, the CTD was avoided. Players moving all the armies around would prevent any of them from accidentally trying to merge, and would therefore get around this bug.

palissa
02-07-2006, 19:02
I dont know if this can help, but crash on multiple stack, after battle, happens to me ONLY when i am the attacker.
If i am the defender, it doesnt happens.
And believe me, i did ALOT of defense aginst multiple stack.
I siege town, till anotehr army come and i fight both stack and win and get the city without have the boring siege to do.
For example, i attacked bocchoris and fought 2 stack, with script and without, both time crashed.
I then passed turn, and their 2 stack attacked me and i won and no crash.I didnt so many test, tough, so is a possibility :)
Bye

paullus
02-07-2006, 19:33
That does seem to be the case. However, I am almost certain that I had an attacking battle against two AI armies that did not result in a crash. It was as the Casse, against the Aedui.

I also have never seen the strange AI reinforcement behavior. I have fought quite a few battles with enemy reinforcements, and they generally maintain as good a formation as the original force.

I also have noticed increase occurrence of "delayed reinforcements," though it seemed to me like it happened most often in difficult terrain and/or winter, but I haven't tested it.

jebes
02-07-2006, 20:58
It is not really a bug, but I was attacked on a map with a Lake through a quarter of the battlefield.The main army was not affected, (Other than they tried to rout through through the lake and a few of them drowned.) Hoever, they had a reinforcment army which deployed on the far side of the lake outside of the battle area and some of them were in the lake and many drowned. Once the battle started, the survivors avoided the lake and wandered onto the field just fine.

NightStar
02-08-2006, 12:25
If you send me all your Mnai, I could probably run all the files of the mod through a probability simulator that would instantly find the errenous binary code which causes the crash and have it eliminated

But I would also want my picture on the cover of PC Gamer and shake hands with the pope

palissa
02-08-2006, 15:37
For the Pope can be arranged i guess, but when there, you msut ask Him the access to statue collection, so you can find those pics for ancillaries and trait Forge need so much :)