PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Bodyguard Units

Dol Guldur
02-06-2006, 21:24
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet but I thought I'd share anyway.

As you know, the bodyguards (General Units) can now be recruited in BI along with a general. The way the game parses this is evidently different than the non-recruitable (i.e. family-member) bodyguards. Just a reminder of how that worked and still works:

The game looks for the first unit entry in EDU with the general_unit attribute for your faction and that becomes the default bodyguard unit for your family members (pre-BI you can employ the faction_capabilities element to upgrade the bodyguard to - if I remember rightly - the second unit entry so attributed (Marian, random and imperial palace assumed positive)).

Anyway, to my point:

Now in BI you can recruit generals' units direct from the EDB and the game engine identifies these - regardless of where they appear in the EDU - as GUs.

What this means is that you can assign the general_unit attribute to a number of your units and thus have different buildings or regions able to recruit generals with different bodyguards. The unit with the first attribute in the EDU will serve as the family-member bodyguard unit but all others can be assigned as you wish.

Simple really but vanilla uses the same bodyguards for the recruitable generals as it does for the family members so I thought someone may have missed this.

Cesare diBorja
03-09-2006, 07:25
But the question is can you make Vanilla and Vanilla-based mods do this as well with simple modifications from BI.

diBorgia

Epistolary Richard
03-09-2006, 09:35
When you say vanilla, do you mean RTW? Because vanilla just means any standard files - all mods are vanilla-based.

Sunhawken
08-12-2007, 21:29
yes

Makanyane
08-13-2007, 08:07
Sunhawken, are you trying to ask something specific? The message from ER was over a year ago so I assume original question was resolved. Though I'm not sure if recruitable general units actually give you a 'family member' type general in RTW.

Sunhawken
08-13-2007, 08:14
Eh. Oops my bad :/ No i was not asking a question...
I was saying that the general_unit code adds the general/captain model to any unit. And it can be used for family members as long as the unit with general_unit
comes first in the family's member army.
It does not add a family member.
I tired it.:laugh4: Sorry about posting in a dead topic i did not know.

WImPyTjeH
08-13-2007, 22:34
Though I'm not sure if recruitable general units actually give you a 'family member' type general in RTW.
In RTW, no. In BI (FATW for example: Knights of Dol Amroth,...), yes.

W

Squid
08-14-2007, 17:57
In RTW, no. In BI (FATW for example: Knights of Dol Amroth,...), yes.

W

Actually that is incorrect, in Roma Surrectum we are using Age Traits, and the ones for generals are limited to family members, and if you recruit a general it does acquire the traits that are limited to family members.

WImPyTjeH
08-14-2007, 20:09
Actually that is incorrect, in Roma Surrectum we are using Age Traits, and the ones for generals are limited to family members, and if you recruit a general it does acquire the traits that are limited to family members.
You can have recruitable generals (when you recruit a bodyguard unit), in RTW ? Darn, I learn something new every day :inquisitive: :book:

W

Red Spot
08-16-2007, 12:56
just as a hint, if you have the time (or willing to make it) and are interested in modding every aspect of your game there are 2 things I can really recommend ..

-go through every textfile within your data folder and check what kind of moddable goodies are in there
-skim through the entire scriptorium forum as the game hold many "hidden" little features that some very dedicated modders already uncovered for you ..

G