PDA

View Full Version : Interesting way to avoid CTD's

jebes
02-07-2006, 00:20
Please don't hate me, but my computer is so slow, that I can't really bracket CTD's effectively. (It takes about 10 mins to get back into a game after a CTD)

Anyway, I have come to just do what I can to avoid them. Some of them can be avoided by reloading the Quick Save and leaving the scripts off. However, I had to use Perfect spy and command control for a few of them.

I was reading a post where someone (I can't remember who) Said that he got around all the CTD's by leaving the scripts off and using the Add_money script for an insignificant amount of money. I tried it, and it has worked for me everytime.

However, I can't figure out why this works and it seems like this information might be important.

NightStar
02-07-2006, 11:22
Well I got past most of the CTD's by fixing the olympic events bug....and now I only suffer from a few rare CTD's that I mostly can't duplicate :2thumbsup:

PseRamesses
02-08-2006, 15:17
....and when I quicksave CTD´s over and over and you seem to be stuck try "save as", name the file and re-kick it. Have worked every time for me.

Btw, how do I fix the "Olympic-thingy"?

Malrubius
02-08-2006, 15:28
....and when I quicksave CTD´s over and over and you seem to be stuck try "save as", name the file and re-kick it. Have worked every time for me.

Btw, how do I fix the "Olympic-thingy"?

Olympic fix:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1045056&postcount=136

When a game CTDs, it's possible the quicksave and autosave get corrupted. I've heard of this, at least. I usually save before I end turn, with a letter representing the faction, the year, and the season, like "E255.3" would mean Epeiros, 255 BC, at the end of autumn.

PseRamesses
02-08-2006, 16:38
Olympic fix:

When a game CTDs, it's possible the quicksave and autosave get corrupted. I've heard of this, at least. I usually save before I end turn, with a letter representing the faction, the year, and the season, like "E255.3" would mean Epeiros, 255 BC, at the end of autumn.

THX!

PseRamesses
02-09-2006, 13:20
Olympic fix:

I´m a bit uncertain here. I´ve located the designated text are but there are several entries that match your description. But my guess is that I should only change the first entry at the Olympics not all the "former entries" too. If so this is how the text would look like if no further editing is needed for each faction: (textchange highlighted in bold)

{Baktria_Agonistes_Olympiados} Agonistes Olympiados

{Baktria_Agonistes_Olympiados_desc}
Agonistes Olympiados!\n\nOlympic Competitor: The summer of our fourth year has arrived and it does not come as a surprise that this man, who is an excellent athlete and also not campaigning this season, should want to participate in the games. But given our distance from Olympia, we rarely are able to send one of our own young men the great distance to the Peloponnesos. It is never an easy journey to Olympia, but the desire to gain the golden olive leaves of Zeus is a great enough reward to undertake the additional training and travel. Men from across the Hellenic world, from the distant Pillars of Herakles to the northern shores of the Euxeinos and even into many parts of Asia compete in the games, as long as they are free-born and of Hellenic ancestry. Olympia itself is rumored to be continually crowded with the throngs of competitors and spectators during the games. The dust alone could be enough to keep some away, but not the hardy and those unafraid of the journey and more importantly the challenge to bring fame to their own and their city's name!

{Baktria_Agonistes_Olympiados_effects_desc}
\nPossible Influence boost from competing in the Olympics.
+1 Influence

{Baktria_Agonistes_Olympiados_gain_desc}
Agonistes Olympiados!\n\nOlympic Competitor: The summer of our fourth year has arrived and it does not come as a surprise that this man, who is an excellent athlete and also not campaigning this season, should want to participate in the games. But given our distance from Olympia, we rarely are able to send one of our own young men the great distance to the Peloponnesos. It is never an easy journey to Olympia, but the desire to gain the golden olive leaves of Zeus is a great enough reward to undertake the additional training and travel. Men from across the Hellenic world, from the distant Pillars of Herakles to the northern shores of the Euxeinos and even into many parts of Asia compete in the games, as long as they are free-born and of Hellenic ancestry. Olympia itself is rumored to be continually crowded with the throngs of competitors and spectators during the games. The dust alone could be enough to keep some away, but not the hardy and those unafraid of the journey and more importantly the challenge to bring fame to their own and their city's name!

Malrubius
02-09-2006, 13:36
The problem is when you have the winner. Where it should have +1 Influence, you have a blank line instead. The part you posted above was fine. It only CTDs when you win. Every faction has its own 'victory' message, and those are where the CTDs are.

Here they are:

{Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

{Baktria_Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

{Epeiros_Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

{Koinon_Hellenon_Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

{Makedonia_Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

{Ptolemaioi_Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

{Seleukid_Olympionikes_effects_desc}
+1 Influence

PseRamesses
02-10-2006, 00:18
The problem is when you have the winner. Where it should have +1 Influence, you have a blank line instead. The part you posted above was fine. It only CTDs when you win. Every faction has its own 'victory' message, and those are where the CTDs are.

Here they are:

Then I understood you correctly from your first post. Sorry to bother you but I wanted to get this right. Played tonight as KH from 264-250 and only 2 CTD´s but NOT at the Olympic years so it seems to work fine. Hmm... makes me wonder - don´t my boys ever win the darn thing? Better cut funds to the Olympic commitee.