PDA

View Full Version : Here's the thing about TW vs THEM

KafirChobee
02-09-2006, 05:12
Those that are knowledgable about STW know, that it was the perfect war game; except for the flaws that a few (AMP) used to prove there is no HONOR in war - or in gaming. Thing is, even with their cheats there were those that found ways to overcome them.

Here's the deal - even armies, even amount to create them without playing a buncha rinking-ding what is this, that, or wtf a unit can do.

STW was pure. When the lords that be (or have become) went to MTW (Medieval) it was exciting for the community - but, it was realized early on that they blew it (by many of the old school, still it was a learning experience and most simply accepted it as that). MTW-VI was more of the same, but they added the experience of Vikings - whoopee!

Then came RTW - the most awesome SP strategy game created for those inclined to see bloodless war (except on their PCs').

Thing is RTW, and the new conjecture of MTW does not equal the old STW feel. You know? Put two equally capable combatants to take the field with armies selected from exactly the same choices - the only variances being "their choices". Get it?

What y'all thinks? :juggle2:

Kansuke
02-09-2006, 09:51
Put two equally capable combatants to take the field with armies selected from exactly the same choices - the only variances being "their choices".

That was one of the many beauties about STW.

Kansuke

Tomisama
02-10-2006, 02:12
Hello Kafir!

You must have felt the disturbance in the force :wink:

My three cents in agreement.

In comparison to it’s sequels, Shogun does provide the best chance for a balanced multiplayer game.

It’s response to commands is natural, and the action flows like silk…

Best of all, it is all ours. Lock, stock, and server, we own it! No one is going to take it away (again), or turn off the foyer chat, unless it’s us :grin:

I sincerely hope you will join us in the upcomming CWC 2v2 Shogun Games. Teams can be sponsored by Clans, and also be created by Ronin players.

More on this very soon. Hopefully this weekend I will have Rules and Sign-Up posted.

Salute!

R'as al Ghul
02-10-2006, 12:58
Teams can be sponsored by Clans, and also be created by Ronin players.

More on this very soon. Hopefully this weekend I will have Rules and Sign-Up posted.

Salute!

Konnichiwa!

If you accept Ronin players in this tournament, I'd gladly
sharpen my dotanuki battlesword and volunteer as a partner
for any Ronin without one.
I've to say though that I'm a bit rusty at the moment.
I haven't ploayed in months.

:bow:

Tomisama
02-24-2006, 13:33
http://p219.ezboard.com/fclanwars3540frm69.showMessage?topicID=1.topic :bow:

NihilisticCow
02-25-2006, 12:46
Thing is RTW, and the new conjecture of MTW does not equal the old STW feel. You know? Put two equally capable combatants to take the field with armies selected from exactly the same choices - the only variances being "their choices". Get it?

Well a slight defense of RTW:BI, is that I do actually play quite a few games with armies selected from exactly the same choices, e.g. Goths vs Ostrogoths can be quite good and balanced. Not everyone wants to play that kind of game, but there are many who will; I've played a quite of a few of those games against some Wolves for instance.

I do want to try and give STW a bit more of a go online though, as for reasons beyond my comprehension, I never actually got around to playing STW online when I first had it, which is something I do regret somewhat. There just seems so very few people ever online, and those that do come tend to be rather more experienced, not that I'm worried about losing, I just would rather not take up too much of their time while I mess up... So I have only came on when I've persuaded another RTK to come on with me.

Just A Girl
02-27-2006, 11:57
If you can get ahold of me for games.
I will play.
Im not to great.
but I am more than willing to tell you what i know.
which could help a little bit so you can then battle more epirienced players with slightly more confidence.

looking at the Unit stats page i made on my web page (link in sig)
should basically tell you Everything i know about shogun. (you can then study that if needed as aposed to trying to remember what i said in the foyer excetera)
That could prove helpfull.

hope to see you in the foyer.

Stoicblitzer
02-28-2006, 00:05
There just seems so very few people ever online, and those that do come tend to be rather more experienced, not that I'm worried about losing, I just would rather not take up too much of their time while I mess up... So I have only came on when I've persuaded another RTK to come on with me.

it's not too hard is it cow? :sweatdrop:

Puzz3D
02-28-2006, 19:34

What y'all thinks?
STW v1.12 was more intuitive and the gameplay was learned by experience. That's because the capabilites of each unit were more clear cut, and you only had honor upgrades. In fact, the F1 stat screen didn't even give the correct combat parameters for the units, but it didn't matter. In MTW, the era of the number cruncher came into being because with the diversity of units, the weakened RPS and the greater amount of upgrades you could buy an army so superior to your opponent's that the battle was determined in the army purchase phase. This hasn't changed in RTW.

As far as AMP goes, he understood how to use the morale system better than anyone I ever knew, and he could make a highly coordinated attack or excellent defense counterattacking at exactly the right moment. He could find flaws in the battle system that others missed and he would exploit them to his advantage, but he didn't always play that way. He contributed to several excellent mods, and would be the person to ask to test a mod after everyone else said it was ok. STWmod for MTW/VI is better for his contribution as is STW/MI v1.03. He wasn't included in the v1.02 beta team. We tried to get him included in that, but started the approval process too late.

HiPlnzDrifta
02-28-2006, 20:34
Puzz3D m8... just wondering why you dont play STW v1.12 on the server at least once a fortnight m8? i'm sure once a week or once a fortnight wouldnt get boring, especially if there were a number of people playing it (i'm positive finding players wouldnt be a problem)... btw i consider AMP to be a great teacher...

Puzz3D
02-28-2006, 21:05
We did try to get it going online, but many people can't run STW v1.12 under WinXP. The game does start up for me and the battles work ok, but I get the flashing menu backround and the SP campaign freezes on the harvest turn which requires a reset of the computer. Other people get very slow framerate in online battles. It was after this that I worked on STWmod for MTW/VI to recapture the gameplay of STW v1.12, but the RTW v1.2 patch in Feb 2005 killed interest in it just as we were getting players interested in the mod.

HiPlnzDrifta
02-28-2006, 21:29
hmmmm.... thats a real shame.... even though i myself am persistant enough to install win98 on another drive just so i can play a cool game, i dont know how enthusiastic other fans would be... a real shame..

Just A Girl
02-28-2006, 22:51
"We did try to get it going online, but many people can't run STW v1.12 under WinXP"

Read the Stw probs read here 1st thread ...
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58698

"I get the flashing menu backround"

Close back ground progs and processes that use the task bar to cure that.

"SP campaign freezes on the harvest turn which requires a reset of the computer"

again read the Shoguntw probs read here 1st thread.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58698

The origional shogun (after updates) can use the same server as the MI/WE peeps.
But can only play vs other STW origional players.

The origional shogun tw, dose not suffer from the same login probs as WE does. (atleast did not in any of my tests)

Ludens
03-04-2006, 15:05
"I get the flashing menu backround"

Close back ground progs and processes that use the task bar to cure that.
This has been plaguing me for a long time as well. Which programs do I have to switch off? Firewall, virusscan, spyware shields, mouse program, screen and sound options?

Just A Girl
03-04-2006, 15:22
anything that can pop up on the task bar.
or may refresh its self for whatever reason...
is a culprit

MSN for example.
May flash when a message is received.

and even defrag module launced by windows virtual ram could do it.
(but windows dosent to that very often)

It could even be your task bar its self.

So i dont think you can stop it from ever happening again.
But the more things you have running as a back ground tasks the more likley it is to start flashing..

the task bar its self. can cause the problem.
i have mine set to auto hide..
And only suffer flashing screens if something makes the task bar pop up.

Maby that helps as well.

Occasional screen flashing is probable.
Due to tasks that you cant and should not stop. (but they should not be that frequent)
so by closing background tasks you can reduce the chances of it happening.

P.S

incase some 1 does not know..
if it does start flashing..

Alt and tab then re enter the game. will usualy fix it

Ludens
03-04-2006, 15:58
Thanks, Just A Girl. I will try it when I play S:TW again.