PDA

View Full Version : For Moderators!

hellas1
02-10-2006, 01:46
Dear Moderators,

I've thought about something: adding some sort of hightened urgency disclaimer to new people entering this forum to get mods done expeditiously. A sort of checklist, perhaps!

IMO, It would make it clear that even though people have lives and don't just live to mod, that modding projects should be assisted in some way by every member to finish them in a timely manner. IMO, things would be more efficient at least.
For example, if modders are hard at work modding, people from various countries that "Total War" uses and who know that epoch or country's history, for example, should contribute historically at least! Those NOT contributing shouldn't be in the forum.

I think that would help, you know? :2thumbsup:
Thank you Ladies & Gents
Hellas1

BTW, How is this Forum financed?

Epistolary Richard
02-10-2006, 09:27
I'm not really sure what you're suggesting. Can you explain further?

Questions as to how the forum is financed should be asked at the Watchtower.

GiantMonkeyMan
02-10-2006, 20:38
i think he means he is slightly annoyed when people start coming up with ideas for mods very similar to ones already out and maybe they should help contribute rather than try to make a competitor which might fail because of their inexperience... or something :juggle2:

hellas1
02-11-2006, 01:01
Essentially you're right.

Not only that but these RTW mods could have been done a lot sooner if there was a greater cooperation amongst modders.

Lots of talent, not lots of cooperation though. Why?

That's all I ask.

Epistolary Richard
02-12-2006, 10:30
Why many modders prefer to start their own mods rather than get involved with existing ones is a valid enough topic of discussion. I don't particularly like the manner in which you started it off, though. The modding forums are an open place for every friendly member who confirms to the TOS, whether they are here to contribute or just congratulate a modder on their work.

I'm always interested in hearing ideas, though, as to how to encourage the completion of mods, so they can be enjoyed by others and build the community. The censure or discouraging of modders who nevertheless want to start their own mods, however, is not an acceptable method to my mind.

Seasoned Alcoholic
02-12-2006, 13:04
For example, if modders are hard at work modding, people from various countries that "Total War" uses and who know that epoch or country's history, for example, should contribute historically at least! Those NOT contributing shouldn't be in the forum.

I can see what you mean about the historical element to a mod - any accurate historical information (unless the mod is a fantasy / sci-fi theme) should be encouraged from forum members that are native of the country in question. Tbh, I've used Wikipedia extensively in my mod, as well as historical maps of around the same period for historical information. But I've also made enquiries into specific countries' historical background - the internet doesn't have all the answers! ~D

However, with regards to the restricted access ("should not be in the forum") suggestion, I don't think that's fair since people need to know how a mod is progressing, and keep up-to-date with a mod's progress.

There is a fair amount of cooperation already present in many of the mods out there at the moment - look at the major conversion mods for example. You could measure cooperation as the size of a modding team, obviously the more members, the greater amount of cooperation undertaken, which inevitably speeds up a mod's progress.

However, cooperation is not possible in some instances because time is a limiting factor. If someone is currently working on their own project, depending upon the amount of work involved, they may not have time to offer their services elsewhere because of these commitments. There is always potential available, but it pivots upon whether modders have the time to put forward their skills in other projects.

hellas1
02-12-2006, 18:56
Hello Folks,

Let me kindly explain please:

For example, I downloaded Hellenic Total War after Lord Zimoa and the Gerousia totally finished it, which is wonderful. The site for maintaining HTW was at a certain point maintained (financed) by LZof solely, I believe, and/or others. In other words, it cost him &/or others money to have it on the net, eventually it was pulled and I found out, NOT fully completed! Hence my question about how this forum is being financed.

Some people posting in this forum, get anxious about certain mods availability or date of full release. I, for one, have been a student for these past 5 years, and have tried to give input towards mods, when possible and I have had money issues. Now that I'm done school and have gotten a "real" job I can contribute financially to the construction of a mod, which I think that would make mods happen.

Time, effort, energy is spent going into these excellent modifications, and everyone should contribute historically, monetarily, somehow, to get a mod done. If people coming into this forum, like me, are initially told to please contribute somehow, I believe, every proposed mod would completed.

I am not a dictator/facist and most definitely not into censuring thought or people coming here or not.
My only concern is that mods that I've seen get started, end 1/4th or 1/8th or 1/2 of the way and that financing a conceptual mod, if legal, should be done or monitoring people to see that they give something instead of just getting or complaining should be done as an idea. Thats' all.

Hellas1

Duke John
02-12-2006, 19:54
Time, effort, energy is spent going into these excellent modifications, and everyone should contribute historically, monetarily, somehow, to get a mod done.
Mods are not professional projects. Most experienced modders that I know will get the most kick of developing the mod and not so much having it completed and enjoying it. They are modding because they have the urge to create something and in my opinion it is their own responsiblity to take care of wether it gets finished or not. It should never become a burden for someone else.

Mods do not need to be contributed financially. There is no cost involved and if a program does need be purchased, well, every hobby costs money. Some modders may want to purchase a website, but that is a personal choice and not necessary for the completion or distribution of a mod.

I like it how at the Org (I don't visit other sites much) there is a still the habit of sharing discoveries. If money was to be getting involved (ie the best mod with the most unique features will get the most constributions) then I fear that people will hold their mouth. And that is certainly not to the benefit of anyone.

Epistolary Richard
02-12-2006, 23:31
If people coming into this forum, like me, are initially told to please contribute somehow, I believe, every proposed mod would completed.

Contribute in what respect? I like everyone to contribute, but the truth of the matter is that completely new people to the forum aren't going to be able to contribute to a developing mod until they've gained a certain degree of modding knowledge - and for that the community (in the form of answering questions and writing tutorials) has to be there for them first.

or monitoring people to see that they give something instead of just getting or complaining should be done as an idea. Thats' all.

How would such a system operate?

hellas1
02-13-2006, 01:44
Hello Epistolary Richard,

Thank you for kindly reading and responding to my email sir.

My intentions are NOT malicious.

Here is my proposition:
A.Give a disclaimer of sorts when a person first gets a username and password, stating in certain, kind, terms that modding is hard work, takes time and for certain people like the modders themselves cost money for them to buy modding type of software.

B. Then state that people in this forum are serious about getting the mods finished and presented to who would like them.

C. Finally, as a moderator you can see what goes on. View people, see what they do. Just use their usernames. Are they just here to take and leave? I see no fairness in this.

My concern is that the effort and overall energy given to these mods would be increased if monetary primarily &/or input of a historical, beta testing, etc. type of mode would be implemented by each forum member.

Sir, I know it cost money for me to write this to you!
I want to contribute wherever I can, and that's just not information wise, but in leu of time given, effort given and software utilization, to give some sort of monetary remuniration for these essentially new TW games, which in certain cases they fully are!

Bottom line: If that means that people, like yourself, say "We here at the forum and as modders collectively, need money to fully complete modifications and maintain the forum in general," I would GLADLY contribute money to see a project go through and see this forum continue. :2thumbsup:

wlesmana
02-13-2006, 08:40
Your proposed idea require more manhours of management of talents and other things. There is a much, much simpler way that's guaranteed to make modders work faster, harder and better to completing your favorite mods:

Pay them money.

No? No money?

Sorry then. This is charity work. Take it or leave it.

Myrddraal
02-13-2006, 15:13
What keeps me modding is when people enjoy my work. If someone takes the time to visit the WoT subforum and comment on something I've done, it encourages me and I keep going. They haven't contributed anything, but the modding community would be quite dull without an audience.

Another point of view is simply this, when you arrive at this site, you may have nothing to contribute, but if the community supports you despite this, you may be inspired to learn something new, to make something for yourself.

This community isn't just a mod factory, its so much more than that...

hellas1
02-13-2006, 23:57
Hello Folks,

I understand "major" modifications like Zhan Guo or Vlad Total war or Chivalry Total war to be actually new TW games.

If they are new games, then it would logically follow that if CA itself developed them, CA WOULD charge money for them, right? right.

All I say is contribute. Somehow.
I've seen money to be a GRRRREAT contributor to mod success.

Myrrdhal sir, you're right this community is more than just that a community.

I, for one, WILL give money or whatever payback to those mods that are done provided I like them, ie. via a preview, demo, etc. It's no problem, if they'll take what I give.

I will also go to where Epistolary Richard directed me to go and see how this community here is financed. If this community takes contributions, I WILL CONTRIBUTE FINANCIALLY. Period.

I am not a leech. I reward work done through money or input.

That is my final post. I hope everyone understands. Thank you :2thumbsup: