PDA

View Full Version : CA and a stronger Multi player community

Refnulf von Holland
02-13-2006, 09:40
CA and a stronger Multi player community

Why is the multi player community so weak with such a great game? Now first off I’m NOT asking for a multi-player campaign, I would just like to see more organized tournaments and a player tracking system. I think that this would add to the longevity of the multi-player battles and not make the battles so meaning less. You would actually get something for winning battles.

Let’s take a look at the community today for example:

I log on to my account and then I enter the lobby looking for a game to join, I fight a couple of battles and that’s it. I know that there are a few clans out there but there are no events that really bring the clans/players together.

What it could be:

Official Biannual Tourney (Crown Tournament) – sponsored/hosted by CA or Sega this would be the Grand tournament of tournaments for the top players and clans to face off for the title of King, yes that’s right King (will explain later).

Official Quarterly Tournaments – these would be tournaments that are held/organized by fan sites such as the TWC and the .ORG they would be allowed to host two tournaments a year sanctioned by CA in other words have the approval from CA to host an Official Tourney.

Player and Clan Tracking System:

Players would have to set up accounts and would be tracked for all of their online battles and would get Titles and Awards of Arms after so many wins. So if you win the Crown Tourney you would have the title of King. Here is just a small list of what the titles and award of arms could be:

Knight – Win 50 online battles (spurs)
Baron – Win 100 online battles (coronet)
Viscount – Win an official hosted tournament by the community or win 150 online battles. (Coronet)
Earl – Win an official hosted community tournament two or more times or win 200 online battles. (Coronet)
Duke – Win Crown Tournament one time. (Coronet)
Grand Duke – To obtain this title you must have won the Crown Tournament two or more times. (Coronet with leaves)
King – Win Crown tournament, which is held twice a year. (Crown)

Other titles: Award of arms

Grant of Arms – Win 5 online battles. (dagger)
Master of Arms- Win 15 online battles. (sword)
Keeper of the Gate – Win 5 siege battles as defender. (shield with a gate on it)
Gate Breaker – Win 5 siege battles as attacker. (shield with a broken gate on it)

Thanks for any support from the .org

Reiksmarshal

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessage?topicID=838.topic
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43788

Mooks
02-13-2006, 13:23
Why should CA host any games? Its not THEIR job to host games, its the players. Which they are very capable (just look at starcraft). Just provide more options for players and it should be fine.

rank idea though-Thats a good idea.

Craterus
02-13-2006, 14:03
If you win the "Crown Tournament" once, you are king. If you win it twice, you're a rank lower?

Or is it just that the last person to win it is king. And the role of king will change every 6 months.

I like the ideas though. :2thumbsup:

Refnulf von Holland
02-13-2006, 16:29
If you win the "Crown Tournament" once, you are king. If you win it twice, you're a rank lower?

Or is it just that the last person to win it is king. And the role of king will change every 6 months.

I like the ideas though. :2thumbsup:

Well every 6 months there will be a Crown Tournament, it is the rank the player would return to after a new king wins tournament.

Why should CA host any games? Its not THEIR job to host games, its the players. Which they are very capable (just look at starcraft). Just provide more options for players and it should be fine.

rank idea though-Thats a good idea.

Sure it's not their JOB, but the totalwar game is a Competitive game so why not have an Official Competition. It's not like we are asking for a multi-player campaign, If anything it will add to the longevity by keeping people enthused long which help them. I don't no how many online battles you have played, but I have played many over the last 3 years and there is not a since of achievement.:no:

Orda Khan
02-13-2006, 18:05
Hello Refnulf von Holland,

I can understand your point, there is no player ladder as such but there was back in STW days. Eveyone began with the honour ranking of 100 and this would alter according to the outcome of competitive 1v1 battles. However, like most things. it was not perfect and was exploited. Both the ladder and competitive games were dropped with the release of MTW. Here at .Org, players were recognised for their online victories with awards under their names (much like the HoF awards) IIRC there was a 500 victories award and a 1000 victories award.
I don't know, these days things seem more SP orientated than they were, MP used to be a big part of .ORG. Tournaments like CWC and CWB were successfully run throughout MTW days. During MTW (possibly due to there being no 'comp' option) things became more Clan focused than they were, the Clans were there in STW of course but with MTW team battles involving Clans seemed to become more popular. I must admit, I have always preferred team battles and I have probably not even played more than 50 1v1's throughout the TW series.
You posted some very nice suggestions which I am sure would appeal to the more competitive minded players.
You could always decide to run and maintain your ranking system. A lot of time and work would be required but there is plenty of time before MTW II is released for developments and a system to be finalised

............Orda

Sykotyk Rampage
02-13-2006, 18:14
Hi,

I don’t play MP so I don’t know if it has been done. But have the clans and players set up maps of their countries. Each clan has a country with provinces, land areas that each member, king, knight, baron etc of the clan or individual players owns. Even an individual king or baron or knight etc could own a piece or “property’ on this virtual map. An economic system could even be created for each piece of land, adding value to ownership, to purchase more land, armies, economic valuables.

With the system Refnulf mentions above it would create a virtual on line world for players.

Then players can move virtual pieces, to attack other, clans, kings, landowners, etc. A tourneys or battles between clans, individual kings, knights, land owners from this “world” would be set up- a battle to find the winner (s). The battles would be for the ownership of that piece of the virtual map or cities, economic values or just the honour.

This would be a continuous world that ever changes, players would come and go. If a player has not played for a “time” that land becomes vacant and seceded to new players. The map size is also endless….theoretically.

The possibilities are endless and takes the onus from CA to the players and clans.

On a side note that this is possible……..My friends and brothers have a game we have been playing for thirty years, based just like this with a map and we move pins on the map when pins meet in the same area we set up a huge 16’ by 5’ table and have battles with bottle caps. I have about of 500,000 bottle caps, each person has a specific brand that is theirs and theirs alone so all together we have about 1,000,000 soldiers on the world. The caps are from all over the world and all separated out into different armies (and pins). Each cap is an individual soldier, we roll dice to kill, if you roll a 3 you turn over 3 caps and they are dead –never to be used again –ever. So heavy cavalry are a 1 to 3 to kill, light cavalry 1 to 4 etc. Large caps (like off shaving cream are giants, we use cannons, archers, trolls, wizards) etc.
Sorry getting off track. Someday I’ll post some pictures, it’s great fun.

So like Refnuf’ s idea - a virtual clan world for battles and titles and land. So even tourneys set up to win titles and virtual land gives a reason to battle – besides the fun!

Orda Khan
02-13-2006, 18:21
Back in STW days there was a map of Japan and part of eastern Asia and Clans did indeed hold provinces on the map. I agree, this would add a great deal of fun and interest to the game

.......Orda

Mithrandir
02-13-2006, 21:15
For Unreal Tournament etc. there was Clanbase...

dont know if it still exists though...

Mithrandir
02-13-2006, 21:15
Gah...couldév checked before posting...

http://www.clanbase.com/news.php

very fun.

BHCWarman88
02-14-2006, 22:34
or....

World Heavyweight RTW Title

Held once a Year,plus, if you win it more then 3 times and hold the title for 5 months each time (defending and winning challages from other players) you can meet Mike Simpon or some top rank CA guy..

Attrebus
02-16-2006, 03:05
Hi,

I don’t play MP so I don’t know if it has been done. But have the clans and players set up maps of their countries. Each clan has a country with provinces, land areas that each member, king, knight, baron etc of the clan or individual players owns. Even an individual king or baron or knight etc could own a piece or “property’ on this virtual map. An economic system could even be created for each piece of land, adding value to ownership, to purchase more land, armies, economic valuables.

With the system Refnulf mentions above it would create a virtual on line world for players.

Then players can move virtual pieces, to attack other, clans, kings, landowners, etc. A tourneys or battles between clans, individual kings, knights, land owners from this “world” would be set up- a battle to find the winner (s). The battles would be for the ownership of that piece of the virtual map or cities, economic values or just the honour.

This would be a continuous world that ever changes, players would come and go. If a player has not played for a “time” that land becomes vacant and seceded to new players. The map size is also endless….theoretically.

The possibilities are endless and takes the onus from CA to the players and clans.

On a side note that this is possible……..My friends and brothers have a game we have been playing for thirty years, based just like this with a map and we move pins on the map when pins meet in the same area we set up a huge 16’ by 5’ table and have battles with bottle caps. I have about of 500,000 bottle caps, each person has a specific brand that is theirs and theirs alone so all together we have about 1,000,000 soldiers on the world. The caps are from all over the world and all separated out into different armies (and pins). Each cap is an individual soldier, we roll dice to kill, if you roll a 3 you turn over 3 caps and they are dead –never to be used again –ever. So heavy cavalry are a 1 to 3 to kill, light cavalry 1 to 4 etc. Large caps (like off shaving cream are giants, we use cannons, archers, trolls, wizards) etc.
Sorry getting off track. Someday I’ll post some pictures, it’s great fun.

So like Refnuf’ s idea - a virtual clan world for battles and titles and land. So even tourneys set up to win titles and virtual land gives a reason to battle – besides the fun!

Kinda like what Cossacks 2: Napoleonic Wars does...you select a nation to fight, and theres a Map of Europe you fight over in Multiplayer...based on your territory size and such you can get different allotments for resources prior to a battle at start.