PDA

View Full Version : Epirote playguide:

PseRamesses
02-13-2006, 12:50
One of the more amuzing EB-factions to play and with a rather complex strategy dilemma; Italy or Greece? I´m starting to feel like a donkey between two haystacks, he he!

1. Italy/ Scicily:
Cash-cow that will turn your economy around by the time you´ve taken Messana. Exterminating the fast growing Syrakousians will add almost 10k to your warchest.
2. Greece:
Since you start off at war with the Makedonians and they rarely accept peace-negotiations from the start strike at Pella ASAP and hope that the KH´s will be able to pin the M´s huge army in Korinthos.

What to do, what to do? Both? No not feasible IMO so I tried both strats in two consecutive games.

Italy/ Sicily scenario:
In my first try I gambled that the M´s wouldn´t come to me in Ambrakia/ Epimadnus and gathered all my armed forces in Taras for a weapons upgrade and move on Rhegion, Messana and Syrakousai before the Romans and/ -or Karth. I also disbanded that costly ele-unit with a staggering 2,5k upkeep/ turn.
My economy plunged down to -6k but by the time I had taken Messana and was laying siege to Syrakousai it was picking up. Fortunately the Karth attacked Messana so I could take Lilibeo too and sue for a 10k peacedeal with them.
On my eastern front M still hadn´t managed to get over to my side of Greece and was infact fully engaged with KH in, and around Attike and Peloponnesus.
Time to give them a nasty surprise! Pyrrhus and his, now significant, army jumps ports from Sicily and lands outside Ambrakia, walks through the passes to the east and strike at the unguarded M capitol, Pella. I was able to take it immediately since my spy had done his thingy with the lock-picking.
My first standoff with the main bulk of the M army came on the mountain- slopes just north of Demetrius with a huge advantage in terrain I oblitterated 1700 men loosing just 13. So that was that. Demetrius fell, Korinthos as well before taking on Chalkis and left the M´s in Mytilene as my protectorate. I turn my attention now to the remnants of the KH and swiftly took Athenai and Sparte. With only Rhodes left they too accepted a protectoratestatus.

Greek-scenario:
My second attempt did not go this flawless. As soon as I could I striked at Pella (turn 3) and was immediately confronted with a large M-force and was bogged down a bit until I was able to take Demetrius too. To cut a long story short, after taking Greece including the KH holdings I swiftly moved back to Italy where the Romans had taken Rhegion and the Karth was laying a successfull siege on Messana. Nedless to say I went back to my first game at this point, he he!

Conclusion:
It seems that the initial gamble I did in my first try was the best: take the rebel holdings in Italy and Sicily before moving on the Makedonians and later the KH. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone successfully waged a two front war pursuing both objectives?

LorDBulA
02-13-2006, 15:19
First strategy is risky. Maks sometimes go afther you aggressively.
In patch political situation of Rome will be fixed. They now start at war with Epirothes and not with Yehzui. So you will have to face them if you want to hold italy.

My usual early game strategy is to fortify Tarrent ( i build stone walls and archer as effective cheep garrison) and try to stop Romans for as long as i can (taking profit from Tarrent). In this time i try to use my whole army to force peace treaty on Makedonsm, or break them but this is very difficult.
But this are advises for next EB version.

PseRamesses
02-14-2006, 13:10
First strategy is risky. Maks sometimes go afther you aggressively.
In patch political situation of Rome will be fixed. They now start at war with Epirothes and not with Yehzui. So you will have to face them if you want to hold italy.
My usual early game strategy is to fortify Tarrent ( i build stone walls and archer as effective cheep garrison) and try to stop Romans for as long as i can (taking profit from Tarrent). In this time i try to use my whole army to force peace treaty on Makedonsm, or break them but this is very difficult.
But this are advises for next EB version.
Well, I only did two tries so it might be wise to hit the M´s first although taking the reb-settlements in Italy will boost your economy a lot faster according to my test. But, as in real life, at a cost: M knocking on your backdoor.
Sounds great about the Roman/Epirote stance and other updates for the patch. Can´t wait to get hold of it. I hope you´ll have it ready by friday since my children are with their mother this weekend. Holding my thumbs. Keep up the good work!

pezhetairoi
02-18-2006, 13:59
I'd say take the Romani first, because the Maks are easier prey by and large, in terms of strategic accessibility, and troop quality. Therefore, they can wait.

PseRamesses
02-18-2006, 14:33
I'd say take the Romani first, because the Maks are easier prey by and large, in terms of strategic accessibility, and troop quality. Therefore, they can wait.
Agree, and after a couple of more tries my economy boosts faster going for the Italian/ Sicialian rebels even if I loose a settlement in Greece. I´ve in every game sucessfully allied with bothe the KH and the Dacians. The latter was easy to convince to attack M from the north, he he!
So the best strat with E is to gather all your expendable forces in Kalabria (upgrade) and take Rhegion, Messana, Syrakousai and even Lilibeo. Karth are suckers for peacedeals and you´ll be able to squeeze them for 5k for a ceasefire. Ally with Romani, KH and Dacia and you´re all set to return to Greeze and whipe out the M. Eventually taking Thermon (Olympos) will not improve your standings with KH so you´ll be able to take them out too.

toxicseagull
04-06-2006, 02:28
my most enjoyable campagin has been with these guys. i headed for rome, shifted all troops over from greek city's apart from one unit garrison each, (kept elephants) took all romani lands in 20 years with that one army and a supply route of garrison units. i managed to keep one city in greece, lost my old capital city tho.

ive now landed my major stack and two smaller stacks to take my old capital and that M city directly to the right of my citys as my main army drives south attracting trouble draining resourcesand splitting the M empire in two so no reinforcments will reach two seiged out citys :)

thats the plan anyway :)

Moros
04-09-2006, 20:57
I attacked the Macedons in Pella in the first or second turn. I exterminated it and destroyed all the buildings. I trained myself a second army of that. And I made a recruitment line now I still could. Next trun Ambrakia was also by by. (did I loved those elephants.) then I put my main army on ship an moved them to Korninthos. The 2 big Makedon armys were heading north. to my unprotected destroyed towns. I pinned them down with a fort with one unit it in it. NExt turn I Builded a fort right behind it. Stopping them for another turn. Now also the Greek send n army to them and pinded them down. Now I besieged Korinthos. While the Makedons couldn't move because of the Greek army and two forts. THe greeks and my two untis were defeated but I got Korinthos. Now the Macedons kept fighting the Greek from out chalkis. Now I attacked Sparta. I sended an army towards Athens and chalkis. both were afraid to do something. they both were powwerfull enough to destroy my army but then the other would be strong enough to destroy the other.

Then I went for the most southren city. wich wasn't taken by the romans yet by my surprise. (I was allied to Rome). THen the cartagenians kept on trying to take the other two cities on the sicily. (They sended unit after unit, like if they didn't know that they could merge armies.) In a moment of carthegian weakness I attacked lilibeoand got a ceasefire afterwards. But now I was getting in depth again and the Greek and Macedon armies were grewing. I destroyed alot of buildings and added a few units and alot of mercenaries to my army builded a fort with one unit. The maks besieged it. Now I could take Athens without the MAkedons acting difficult. one trun later I took athens. Now the makedonians besieged my city. But left Chalkis almost unpretected. So I made a little army with my elephnats and I took chalkis. The Makedonians were destroyed even tough they had one city left. I guess it was his last faction leader that was in there too.

Then I attacked the Romans. Awful mistake and I was kicked out of italy. I still had lilibeo tough. SO I builed an army over there and I gained full power over sicily. But the Romans didn't want to end the war. In greece the economy was building up slowly and I conquered two rebel settlements. I attacked the getai capital so I was rid of them before they were to powerfull. Then they came with with some armys and I mamaged to take in a second settlement. Now they had only one left. But they're army was stronger as mine. They attacked their fromer capital gained it back. But during that I took the other city. (I never tought I would succeed takng tat settlement while beign so badly outnumbered. Getia destroyed they had no faction leaders left I guess.

I was losing the war in Sicily since all my iaatention an denarii went to the mainland. Then I moved my last troops on my ship heading for Rom itself. The city was poorly defended. I captured it, raided it and then I quit my campaign.

toxicseagull
04-10-2006, 18:23
yeh, thats why i took out rome, i figured they were going hurt me later, i have now taken over greece, and wiped out rome/greek's, and the makadionians have only two islands left.
im going to consolidate, retrain my army that took out both italy and greece, and hopefully before my leader (phyrus) dies take the islands around greece and finish of the italian peninsuala and sicily that are rebels.

Moros
04-10-2006, 19:43
Well I wasn't beaten or anything. I could have beaten the romans. By just raiding one of their bigger cities when undefendent and then when they've been weakened enough take over their most important cities. But I just didn't feel like it anymore. I played M/M that I do admit.

Zenith Darksea
04-11-2006, 14:34
I tried a new tactic lately. I shipped practically all my forces over to Italy, leaving only a couple of family members in Epirus and Illyria. I saw some big Macedonian stacks moving into Epirus from the East, so I demolished everything in Ambracia and Epidamnus and moved my whole faction to Italy. Then I used the money gained to train some Samnites in Tarentum. I was expecting the Macedonians to just walk into Ambracia and Epidamnus, but when they saw that I had gone, they just walked off and went back to Macedonia! An interesting experiment, I think.

toxicseagull
04-17-2006, 23:28
haha! thats what happened to me, i demolished a load of buildings expecting it to be taken, they walked off, i was convinced they were going to take it soon so i left it, after 20 years i built it up again.feeling a bit of a ass

PseRamesses
04-18-2006, 12:25
@toxicseagull and Zenith Darksea,
No need for abandoning your provinces in Greece, just keep one garrison unit there. Of all the times I´ve played the E´s only once has the M´s come over to the east side. They are more likely to focus on KH and take Thermon. By the time my initial coquering of the south Italian and Sicilian rebels you can afford two zones of conflict.

stalin
05-11-2006, 20:57
I also disbanded that costly ele-unit with a staggering 2,5k upkeep/ turn.

That elephant unit has won me more battles than I care to remember (engage with phallanx and run the nellies down the enemy side routing all even the Triari) it currently has only 8 men left but 3 gold chevrons and shortens my seige times with wooden walls to 0 so I think they are well worth it. I did however reduce the Peltastai armor by 2 due to mistake by EB team- they are no longer better than Hastati in melee. Epeiros campaign rocks if you pick a fight with all your neighbors at the same time:juggle2:

Kralizec
05-21-2006, 21:09
I tend to be passive for a long time in Italy, just defending Taras from Roman attacks. Taxeis hoplitai and Samnite spearmen (superior to thureophoroi) are a deadly combo, especially with slingers. Taking Demetrias early on is sound strategy, as it cuts the Makedonian kingdom in two. Before you get to that however you'll need to chew through several stacks. When you have Demetrias/Thessalia, their troops south around Korinth tend to be preoccupied dealing with the independent Greeks, so you'll mainly have to 'worry' about Pella, wich should be easy.
Once you get your finances sorted out and start making money, you should save some money every turn with the goal of building a mine in Pella. Mines make disproportionate amounts of money! If you're still at peace with the KH, proceed to capture Byzantion, where you can build mines too.
The Eleutheroi tend to build up the 2 cities on the north western balkan pretty quickly, so when you'll conquer them you'll get 2 high level barracks with little trouble involved. These will give you acces to Illyrian thureophoroi (good) or even Illyrian Thorakotai (sweet!)
Once you start focussing on the Romani, best be well prepared. They'll send stack after stack at you, both Capua and Roma have huge populations to support their armies.
(side note: it might be an interesting game if you opt to abandon Taras and stay out of Roma's way for a couple of decades, just to let them upgrade to their Polybian army. Your choice.)

Army selection - light (mainly intended for early campaigning in Italy)
1 general
1 mercenary cavalry
6-8 taxeis hoplitai
2-3 peltasts
3-4 Samnite spearmen
2 slingers
2 akontisai (fodder purposes)

Army selection - proper
1 general
2-3 Thessalian cavalry
5-6 Pezhetairoi
1 Chaonic guard (optional. useful in taking cities)
3 peltasts
2 slingers
3-4 Illyrian Thorakotai or Samnite spearmen

In my current Epeiros campaign in 240 I control all of Hellas, the entirety of Thracia, Italy minus the Adeui city to the north and the rebel city in Italy's toe (Croton? Region?) and finally Nikomedia and Sinope. Pontus will soon fall and I'm proceeding to take the rebels in southern Italy, and Sicily after that- bringing me into conflict with my current ally, Carthage.
Best part: I got over 100,000 mnai in cash! I think mines in EB should be downgraded.