PDA

View Full Version : Arverni - best strategy early on?

Rodion Romanovich
02-15-2006, 19:23
They start at war with Aedui, so they need troops. But their economy is weak. Disbanding and building up economically doesn't seem easy. Being aggressive early on requires no disbanding and makes me go -40k almost immediately. I'm not sure I can handle it from there one, after having lost so many troops and still losing money every turn it seems difficult to finish off the Aedui. Has anyone had a successful early campaign strategy as the Arverni?

jerby
02-15-2006, 21:09
doing well....
aedui are completly extinct. allies with iberia and Casse ("safe" fronts). Sweboz is trying to move onto my territory, but i keep intercepting them. they don't seme to kene to fight me.
Romans are now my only enemy....and some powerhouse they are....even dam Roarii have better stats than my mala gaeros/bataroas....somethign wrong here?

Keba
02-15-2006, 21:24
I've gotten quite far, just gather your starting forces and drive directly for Aedui cities ... leave your cities empty if you have to, but crush the Aedui in Gaul, leave them the province in Italy, it will hamper Roman expansion.

Once you have Aedui territories in Gaul conquered, disband as many troops as you can, but keep a field army. Use the army to consolidate holdings, conquer independent cities and hunt down brigands.

Upgrade your economy, but work hard on making at least two cities develop militarily ... aim for the Gesatae, they will be invaluable once you start running into Triarii.

Once Gaul is secured, your economy should be strong, but avoid multiple-front wars ... commit to a war only when you are sure that you can win. The AI is not particularly agressive, but block off the Alpine passes with forts just to make sure. A fort with even 1 unit will keep the enemy busy at least 2 or even 3 turns, enough for your field army to rach the location. Iberians and Casse do not attack often, so you can ignore them, for some time. The Sweboz will likely pile on your borders, but they rarely attack, keep border cities garrisoned with some good units ... they are not particularly good at attacking cities.

Once that is done ... you should have no problems. And once the Neitos reforms come in, you will have the upper hand with a dependable heavy infantry, if you haven't by that time, you can take and plunder Rome easily.

Rodion Romanovich
02-17-2006, 13:47
Seems to be working! My first attempt involved sending part of the starting troops south to take rebel towns, which didn't give my offensive vs Aedui run out of strength after conquering Bibracte. After some 18 turns economy has turned positive, but treasury is still negative and will remain so for maybe 20 turns or more. I just got a possible blocker CTD though... Hopefully I can continue past it. I think I can handle the remaining Aedui, even though they are strong, long enough to get gaesatae and positive treasury.

PseRamesses
03-01-2006, 14:35
I find the Arverni as simple playing as the Aeudi. However a huge economical dive between -25k to -40k is unaviodable as with the Aeudi. With the Aeudi you conquer Gaul/ France clockwise and with the Arverni counterclockwise.

Move your initial army towards Bibracte and pick up all units along the way. Only leave generals as garrison troops in your homeland cities. Take out the two Aeudi settlements in Gaul. Left with Medialanum they usually accept a protectorate status or a 5k peacedeal. If not they´ll be bogged down in Italy by rebels and the Romani.
After you take the two Aeudi towns in Gaul swing west ,clockwise, and take all rebel settlements, swing south to seal off the Pyrrenees. I even took Emporion. Then I moved on Massalia and finally into the Poo-valley eridicating the Aeudi. The Romani was inbroiled in an intense war with the Epirotes and hadn´t even touched the N.Italian provinces so I swiftly took Segesta, Bononia and Patavium. I went north and took the three rebel settlements north of the Italian Alps, can´t remember their names. My kingdom now matches Charles the Great and alliances with Casse, Sweboz, Iberia and Romani all my borders are secured. From all my initial forces I´ve some 40-50% of them left. They are all atleast one silver chevron.

At this point, 260bc, I´ve two full stacks and make around +10-12k/ turn. I´m building like a madman waiting for that unavoidable treachery from one, or hopefully several, of my allies. Since I started to build the highest level of gov-building right at conquest they are now almost finished and I can concentrate my buildque on more profitable buildings.

Scott
03-04-2006, 02:34
Have you tried a more defensvie startgey?You could hide troops in the woods by your border with the adeui(how do you pronuce that?)which might help you fight aganist large Aedui invasions with minmal amount of troops.

pezhetairoi
03-19-2006, 06:52
I prefer to crush the Aedui outright at the start. Usually massing your forces and attacking Bibracte will accomplish that. They'll throw everything at you, and when they're done getting themselves whipped Gaul will be yours. Just expand to your natural borders, then you have a choice between Hispania, Italia, and the Central Forest of Europa.

shugendo
03-12-2012, 17:52
hello guys. can u pleas tell on what difficulty do u paly?

d'Arthez
03-12-2012, 18:20
Probably Very Hard Campaign difficulty, Medium Battle difficulty.

These guides are outdated since AI factions and surrounding Eleutheroi cities will get strengthened garrisons at the start of the campaign.

Welcome to the forums.