PDA

View Full Version : Shiny new monitor!

Mikeus Caesar
02-15-2006, 23:50
I finally got a new monitor, and i have to say, it rocks! It's a widescreen 19" LCD acer monitor. It's much better than my previous 19" CRT monitor, which as well as being broken also took up half of my 1.5 metre long desk. Playing CS:S with it is amazing. I can't get over how big it is.

New monitor:
http://xs68.xs.to/pics/06073/224445.jpg

Old broken monitor:
http://xs68.xs.to/pics/06073/224453.jpg

Do any other .Orgahs have big monitors like mine?

Proletariat
02-15-2006, 23:53
Measly 17" LCD over here. It looks very nice, Mikeus. What happened to your budget?

Mikeus Caesar
02-16-2006, 00:08
Measly 17" LCD over here. It looks very nice, Mikeus. What happened to your budget?

Let's just say that the new monitor was bought with 'old' money...

In other words, i'm completely skint and got my dad to buy it for me.

And how can you live with a 17"? I can't use anything below 19".

Just A Girl
02-16-2006, 00:32
I use a 23 inch tv....

drone
02-16-2006, 01:51
Nice setup. I will probably be getting a 19" LCD screen soon, to replace my old 19" Trinitron CRT. Now that the LCDs have improved response times (and are getting cheaper), CRTs are becoming useless. I've got a 17" ViewSonic LCD as my secondary screen, the extra real estate (both on the screen and on my desk) of a 19" LCD would be great.

KukriKhan
02-16-2006, 02:49
Nice Dad :) And nice screen.

LCD is the way to go; they ironed out the viewing angle problems a couple years ago, and have achieved economies of scale in production, making the price very competitive (our first 14" LCD screen, 5 years ago cost $1,000; I bet your Dad paid less than $300 for your beauty).

Ms. Kukri has a 19" HP, I use a 15.5" laptop LCD, that I can hook up to the 32" Sony VEGA TV in the front room when needs be.

EDIT to add: since you're 'new' to LCD screens, here's a tip: don't let little brother touch it with his greasy finger, like you could your CRT monitor. That smudge can stay there forever and ever, amen. The shops sell LCD screen cleaning wipes. Use them, not Windex or other generic cleaners.

Xiahou
02-16-2006, 03:06
Maybe Im behind the times- if so, someone straighten me out- but my biggest problem with LCDs is native resolution. Even 17" LCDs seem to have them at 1280x1024. Personally, I like to keep my desktop and games at 1024x768, so my understanding Id take a hit on visual quality because of that. I use a 19" CRT right now that works fine, it just has a huge desktop footprint and uses alot more energy than a LCD. I also think LCDs are generally easier on the eyes.:shrug:

Mikeus Caesar
02-16-2006, 13:02
EDIT to add: since you're 'new' to LCD screens, here's a tip: don't let little brother touch it with his greasy finger, like you could your CRT monitor. That smudge can stay there forever and ever, amen. The shops sell LCD screen cleaning wipes. Use them, not Windex or other generic cleaners.

Don't worry, i don't plan on letting anyone put their hand within 30cm of that screen. In school, some of the more upmarket computer rooms for people studying business have nice 17" LCD monitors (plus quite good P4 computers to go with them), which have been ruined because about 30 million idiots insist on touching the screen, despite the fact they don't have to.

Papewaio
02-17-2006, 02:40
The 3 work monitors consist of two 17" CRTs and a 21" LCD.

The home monitor is just a 17" LCD... one small advantage is that it has inbuilt speakers in the base.

Phatose
02-17-2006, 08:22
Eh, I'm sticking with my 21" CRT. Desk space isn't as issue for me, and while LCDs are cheaper then they were, you just aren't gonna find an LCD that can do 2048x1536 for $200 shipped across the country, refurb or not.

Beirut
02-17-2006, 11:45
Eh, I'm sticking with my 21" CRT. Desk space isn't as issue for me, and while LCDs are cheaper then they were, you just aren't gonna find an LCD that can do 2048x1536 for $200 shipped across the country, refurb or not.

What he said. By the time I can afford a new monitor, the top shelf Viewsonic CRTs will be cheap-cheap-cheap. Sure they take up a lot of space, but they look great, no ghosting, run as rezs, run for years, and cost way, way less.

CRT all the way. :yes:

Mikeus Caesar
02-17-2006, 14:13
What he said. By the time I can afford a new monitor, the top shelf Viewsonic CRTs will be cheap-cheap-cheap. Sure they take up a lot of space, but they look great, no ghosting, run as rezs, run for years, and cost way, way less.

CRT all the way. :yes:

Run for years? Pah. My last CRT monitor (which can be seen in the picture at the beginning of this thread) is only 3 years old. It's what made me convert to LCD. I also needed somewhere to put my subwoofer.

Yes, behind my shiny new monitor is a large subwoofer. If you look at the picture carefully, you can probably see the four satellite speakers on each side.

Beirut
02-17-2006, 15:09
Run for years? Pah. My last CRT monitor (which can be seen in the picture at the beginning of this thread) is only 3 years old. It's what made me convert to LCD.

My Daytek 15" ran for about three years before it blew up. My 17" Samsung, which my woman uses now is still going strong after about five years, and my El Cheapo 19" Hansol 920D is problem free after three years.

I'm sure a top of the line Viewsonic - my next screen - will be good for at least several years.

TosaInu
02-17-2006, 15:29
Dual 30" flatpanel and quad SLI 7800gtx, but then I woke up. But I have two modems :jumping:

Nice monitor currywurry.