PDA

View Full Version : Hegemonia-City States - faction preview - Kingdom of Macedon

ozz
02-16-2006, 01:18
https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2796/hegemoniabannerfinalnewlupus02.jpg

Faction Preview:

The Kingdom of Macedon

Models and Skins: Snevets, Research & Text: Apostates & Ozz, Map: Uranos, Additional Art: Lupus

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3554/macedoniakingdomiconfaction0yb.jpg

The faction's icon is the 16 ray sun,which like the 8 ray sun was a symbol that was widely used in Hellas. Actually it's most likely to be Philipp's blazon but we chose it because everybody is familiar with it, the other choices were the goat (symbol of the capital), the lion (blazon of Alexandros I) and the horn (symbol related to Alexandros III)

- "I am Hellene by ancient descent, and I do not wish to see Hellas change her freedom for slavery to the barbarians..."

Alexandros I, son of Amyntas, King and general of the Macedonians

Macedonia

The classical culture of southern Hellas needed a protective shield to grow and flourish. That protection against continuous barbarian invasions was provided by the Macedonians, a tough hellenic race akin to the Dorians; consisting of several sub-tribes that had retained their original Dorian lifestyle. These people, who Herodotus mentions as "Makednon Ethnos" (Macedon Nation), are, as their naming implied in Doric dialect, a race of tall and stout highlanders. They lived pastoral and agrarian lives north of Mount Olympus, where by the myths, Karanos and Perdikkas settled after arriving from the city of Argos.The country was self-sufficient in products to meet basic needs (timber, cereals, game, fish, livestock, minerals) and soon became the exclusive supplier of other Greek states less blessed by nature. Forced to struggle continuously against Paionian claims in Macedonia, Thracian raids and Illyrians as well, who will later become their vicious enemies, and restrained by natural barriers preventing the Macedonians from intermixing and communicating with the rest of the Hellenic world. Thus the cultural gap between Makedonians and the advanced south progressively widened.

Even though they remained in the margins of the Hellenic world they had preserved their traditions customs and festivals, while they enshrined an inherited Hellenic pride, claiming descent from Hercules, just as the Spartan royal house did. It can be considered certain that the kings of Macedonia did not shape these traditions of their descent from the Heracleids of Argos , drawing them from Greek literature of classical times, nor made them up to imitate the myths current in Greek cities about the divine descent of their most illustrious regal families, but had cherished them, handed down from one generation to another since time immemorial, as the Lares and Penates of their hearths and folk. In fact, when shortly before the Persian Wars the kings of Macedonia appeared on the Greek historical scene, they themselves announced their origin, proudly proclaiming the Argeadic legends as their very own, unquestionably so on the ground of a family tradition centuries old. The foremost historians of ancient times, Herodotus and Thucydides, along with Aeschylus and Euripides, the two significant drama writers regard the Hellenic origin of the Macedonian royal house as granted.

Until 6th century they lived isolated from other Hellenes and were linguistically less developed than the attic dialect spoken in Athens. Their language was a distinct Dorian dialect in which male and female names end in -as and -a, similar to other Dorian dialects, where in Attic we have endings in -es and –e. The vast majority of even the earliest names, whether dynastic names or not, are Greek, formed from Greek roots and according to Greek models. In their dialect they speak "V" akin to "F". This is clear from the fact that the Macedonians call Philippos "Vilippos" and pronounce the Phrygians "Vrygians" etc. Generally its most likely that their language was an archaic form of Greek, with many Dorian elements, which was also spoken from western Greek populations like the Aitolians, who also were not considered civilized enough, though obviously of Hellenic descent.

Macedonia had more in common with Epirus and Thessaly than the other greek states. The state-form was unusual: in one sense a federal state composed of autonomous Macedonian tribes subject to the central authority (Orestai, Elimeiotai, Lynkestai), yet also a state with a strong, though democratic monarchy and a society of farmers and stock-breeders capable of defending their land. Macedonia evolved over the centuries into a power of world-wide influence and prestige. It was ruled by a king from the Argead/Temenidae dynasty whose authority was not absolute, since he had to consult the army of Hetairoi, a name that was preserved directly from Homeric traditions. Such a king was Alexandros I, bold and fearless he answered to the Persian request to his father Amyntas I for subjection by killing the emissaries, like both the Athenians and the Spartans did later. In favour of the Pan-Hellenic cause (but at the same time making sure to take good care of his own kingdoms future), Alexandros I, risked his own life, informing the Hellenic alliance of the Persian movements and plans. He was not only an admirer of the advanced civilization of southern Hellas and a true lover of the arts, but also took part in the Olympic Games in the "stadion" contest finishing second, close to the first runner and marking a new era for Macedonia through their interaction with the other Greeks. His successors, mainly Archelaos I, continued to reform the state and adopted the more refined culture of his southern neighbours, but at the same time retained many archaic and myceanic features of the past.

Much more has to be done if Macedonians are to be considered a formidable and respectable state. Danger now comes from the east.
The Persians are setting their sights on a European realm and the Macedons are the first obstacle for them in the Hellenic mainland and will be called to repel the threat or submit to it.
Will the Macedonians stand against the upcoming invasion of an army of great numbers that has never been seen before in the homeland of these unyielding highlanders? In the next 2 centuries the despots of Asia will be paid back by Zeus' revenge and Macedonian courage!

Locations/regions around Macedonia

https://img451.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00121yc.jpg
https://img477.imageshack.us/img477/3586/00131xr.jpg
https://img477.imageshack.us/img477/789/00154ou.jpg
https://img381.imageshack.us/img381/1033/229tp.jpg

Macedonian Troops:

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2408/full1tu6gj.jpg

From left to right:
Top row: Macedonian Levies, Lynkestai Swordsmen,
Macedonian Cavalry, Macedonian Archers
Bottom row: Royal Guard, General's Bodyguard, Royal Hunters
and Paionian Cavalry.

Macedonian Levies:

The Levies of Macedon constitute the backbone of the Macedonian army. They throw javelins and if needed they charge into combat with swords. Wearing the traditional Macedonian hat/turbin the 'kausia', the Levies of Macedon, although with little choice in their service are fierce and able fighters in the spirit of their heritage. Their role is to provide infantry support to the nobles who fight on horse.

Lynkestai Swordsmen:

The Lynkestai are a province specific unit for Lynkestis who fight in the Illyrian manner. They carry the unique wooden, convex circular shield attesting their independance from the cultures of both Macedon and Illyria.
Their homeland was soon annexed to Macedon and some of their chiefs even raised claims to the Macedonian throne!

Macedonian Cavalry:

The main power of the Macedonian army and the most famous unit as well within the ranks of the Macedonian army, the Macedonian Cavalry are the predecessors of the Companions of Alexander. The Macedonian Cavalry are fearless, using their short spears both to impale the enemy, to set them up for a charge and in the charge itself. Their only disadvantage is their limited numbers.

Macedonian Archers:

The archers of Macedon have gained their skills through hunting for a living. They are traditionally recruited like the levies are, from farmers, hunters and pastors who have a basic pre-existing knowledge of archery.

The Royal Guard:

An elite unit, their purpose was to defend the Macedonian royal house, the royal guards are fearless warriors who are equivalent to the later corp known as "royal hypaspists". They dont fight in the hoplite manner and bear the royal emblem, the lion, they also wear phrygian helmets, which had not yet become popular in mainland Hellas.

General's Bodyguard

The cavalry division of the royal guard, these men have one job: protect the king by following his lead into battle. They wear breast armour and fight with short spears and the big kopis sword which makes them superior to their thracian rivals.

Royal Hunters

A military unit in the kings service adept at espionage, the royal hunters are skilled at hidding almost anywhere. As a military unit they fight with short spears, axes and the "kopis" sword.

Paionian Cavalry

Another province specific unit, the Paionians are cavalry recruited from the traditional raiders of Macedonian lands. Once the royal house has resecured Macedon by defeating the Paionians and capturing their territory, the Macedonians can recruit these fierce warriors to fight for the royal house of Macedon.

UPDATE: New Unit Added - Macedonian Pre-Hoplite Spearman

https://img60.imageshack.us/img60/9013/macedonianprehopliterendered1b.jpg

Macedonian Pre-Hoplite Spearman
These warriors carry hoplon shields while also preserving more archaic elements like missile weapons which are not common amongst hoplite equipement in late 6th century BC.

We hope you have enjoyed yet another faction preview, and as always, your comments are welcome...
Thank you,
The Hegemonia Team

If you would like to learn more about Hegemonia-City States, visit us at our development forum (http://s11.invisionfree.com/Hegemony_City_States/index.php?).

GiantMonkeyMan
02-18-2006, 12:05
i like the units but the royal hunters look a bit purple to me... shouldn't they be at least a bit camo?

ozz
02-18-2006, 15:28
I'm not too fond of the purple either, it reminds me of the vanilla SPQR faction colour too much, and it would be rather difficult to set up an ambush wearing such bright colours IMO.... I'll ask the skinner for his opinion...

Myrddraal
02-19-2006, 16:23
V. Impressed, as per usual :wink:

ozz
02-20-2006, 22:25
Thank you Myrddraal, posts like yours are what keep us going atm... :jumping:

Updated the Macedonian preview with a larger unit plate and more links to screens of the area...

~:cheers:

BelgradeWar
02-21-2006, 16:02
Can't wait to see the Royal bodyguards on the battlefield - helmets are excellent.

ozz
02-25-2006, 14:11
Here is an official update to the Macedonian Faction Preview, the Macedonian Pre-Hoplite Spearman:

https://img60.imageshack.us/img60/9013/macedonianprehopliterendered1b.jpg

We decided to add them based on a lack of high quality line infantry for the Macedonian faction and some recent historical findings which uncovered proto-hoplite equipment in Macedonia at this time period.

Unit-render also added in Macedonian preview above

methoz
05-06-2006, 17:22
oh no,in full mod - only 8 units ?? :embarassed:

GiantMonkeyMan
05-06-2006, 19:56
there will be plenty of area specific units probably... don't let the amount of base unit's fool you

and ozz any new on changes to the hunters? i still don't like that colour but the rest are great

spirit_of_rob
05-07-2006, 00:43
Those units are Macedons unique ones and there are 9 now lol, there are also 8 Zones in the map full of local troops. Each of the major citys on that map will have their own hoplite/ or other troops type if its appropriate there are also the mercs etc.

and no Macedon hasnt been updated yet but if nothing else is in this faction the hunters will be because i dont like them and im lead skinner hehe

Teleklos Archelaou
05-07-2006, 21:14
You need to get out more Rob! :grin: You seem to crank units out like crazy! But these look very nice, and I like the idea of the pre-hoplite unit. One drawback of starting the game in 514: you can't have the canal cut on the Athos peninsula. There's one at Potideia too, that's ancient. But I guess they weren't there in 514. (the Potideia one is classical I think)

ozz
05-08-2006, 02:16
One drawback of starting the game in 514: you can't have the canal cut on the Athos peninsula. There's one at Potideia too, that's ancient. But I guess they weren't there in 514. (the Potideia one is classical I think)

Actually, the Persians "cut the canal" as you say, at Athos during their 2nd invasion of Greece to protect their fleet...

about Potidaea, I can't remember...