PDA

View Full Version : MTW II, or the sequel to Rome?

Psyco
02-16-2006, 04:42
I'm suprised this hasn't been asked yet (I looked through and couldn't find anything. If it has, please link)-

*Will this game be closer to the old style (MTW), or will it be like Rome?*

It would be my dream come true if the game was true to Medieval's style, but with Rome's graphics.

Thanks,
Psyco

econ21
02-16-2006, 10:51
This thread polls members aspirations, at least about the campaign map:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61009

But I think M2TW is the sequel to Rome in that it will use the same engine (including campaign map).

Personally, I hope that the battles will have some of the epic feel of MTW about them though. I don't want another 100 battles running down a handful of grey rebels. I think mods such as EB and RTR - as well as arguably BI - have shown that you can get battles as good as those in MTW but use the RTW engine.

Butcher
02-17-2006, 17:34
Well according to the PC Zone article:

"The overall structure and gameplay will be similar to Rome's,"

So expect poor A.I, spawning rebels and screaming women :inquisitive:

econ21
02-17-2006, 21:40
So expect poor A.I, spawning rebels and screaming women

Oh come on, let's have less negativity here.

CA staff have posted in the .com how they are currently working to improve the campaign and battle AIs. Maybe they will be successful; maybe not. But why not give them a chance?

The spawning rebels were fixed in BI.

Screaming women etc I'll leave to the modders to fix.

Servius
02-21-2006, 03:44
It is totally possible. Also, as has been said elsewhere, the aussie team making MTW2 is not the team who made RTW, who was not the team that made MTW. Therefore, MTW2 could be as different from RTW as RTW was different from MTW.

I totally believe in people's ability to make a great AI and such. I just think there are either more graphical artists out there than programers, or programming a good AI is just a lot harder than making a nice model and skin. Either way, it's totally possible to have a game with a great AI, but you need the corporate backing, encouragement, and commandment, to ensure the quality is high.

Time will tell...

DensterNY
02-21-2006, 15:47
I'm suprised this hasn't been asked yet (I looked through and couldn't find anything. If it has, please link)-

*Will this game be closer to the old style (MTW), or will it be like Rome?*

It would be my dream come true if the game was true to Medieval's style, but with Rome's graphics.

Thanks,
Psyco

I totally agree with you... I enjoy the visual delight of Rome but enjoy more the gameplay in MTW and especially Viking Invasions. Hopefully this new development team can come up with something that incorporates the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the objectives of the series have become more geared towards marketability and easy (common-denominator) gameplay rather than the simple elements that made the TW games so enjoyable.