PDA

View Full Version : Finishing moves?

fallen851
02-16-2006, 21:04
http://www.pczone.co.uk/ .....

"More than that, fallen foes may even be dispatched with a devastating finishing move."

"a swordsman might swing to the left, then to the right, before following up with a stab to the stomach that'll knock his opponent down."

FINISH HIM!

"He might then spin around and deliver a merciless finishing strike to the enemy while he's lying helpless on the ground" !

FATALITY!

Wow the new Mortal Kombat Game sounds really cool! Wait, I mean Total War game... :no:

Mikeus Caesar
02-16-2006, 21:17
http://www.pczone.co.uk/ .....

"More than that, fallen foes may even be dispatched with a devastating finishing move."

"a swordsman might swing to the left, then to the right, before following up with a stab to the stomach that'll knock his opponent down."

FINISH HIM!

"He might then spin around and deliver a merciless finishing strike to the enemy while he's lying helpless on the ground" !

FATALITY!

Wow the new Mortal Kombat Game sounds really cool! Wait, I mean Total War game... :no:

As horrible as it may sound, i doubt it will be like that. There just trying to make it seem like MK to attract people who prefer that kind of gaming.

I hope.

lancelot
02-16-2006, 21:23
I was always partial to a fire-dragon-punch... :laugh4:

ajaxfetish
02-16-2006, 21:53
As horrible as it may sound, i doubt it will be like that. There just trying to make it seem like MK to attract people who prefer that kind of gaming.

I hope.
MK :uhoh: TW
:yes: *hoping*

Ajax

The_Doctor
02-16-2006, 22:07
The same thing is in Dawn of War.

I don't see the problem that you have with good graphics and units fighting properly.

I think it sounds cool.:2thumbsup: Better than thrusting and cutting into mid-air like in the other games.

fallen851
02-16-2006, 22:51

I don't see the problem that you have with good graphics and units fighting properly.

"He might then spin around"

Unless you want to die, never spin around in combat.

Craterus
02-16-2006, 23:09
I wonder if they'll make our soldiers as agile as Yoda in a duel.
:laugh4:

The_Doctor
02-16-2006, 23:09

I doubt there will be spinning.

Yeah, I would also make you sick.:balloon2:

Anyway, it will not effect the game much. I am more interested in the terrain and buildings the preview spoke of.

Craterus
02-16-2006, 23:12
I doubt there will be spinning.

They will; think how cool Lord of the Rings combat is compared to realistic combat.

How many times does Aragorn leave himeslf completely exposed in those films? More times than I can count.

The_Doctor
02-16-2006, 23:22
Its not like it will massively effect the game.

HighLord z0b
02-16-2006, 23:29

Unless your in a Holywood action movie, then it's a devestating, unblockable move.
One thing I've always like about TW is that from a distance it looks like a real battle, I hope they don't turn it into Braveheart.

The_Doctor
02-17-2006, 00:05
I hope they don't turn it into Braveheart.

Of course they are.:wall:

[sarcasm]There is going to be Scottish units that can use a tornado sword attack. And who can forget the Chosen Whirling Dervishes, who can spin around and fly over wall and throw korens at the enemy.[sarcasm]

King Yngvar
02-17-2006, 01:06
Why don't they throw in some scenes from "hidden tiger, crouching dragon" or whatever that movie's name was. Wouldn't it be really nice to have armies that could fly in trees? :wall:

Trithemius
02-17-2006, 03:24
Why don't they throw in some scenes from "hidden tiger, crouching dragon" or whatever that movie's name was. Wouldn't it be really nice to have armies that could fly in trees? :wall:

I would have liked the next TW game to have been sent in medieval China myself - and have the option to have "superhero" units like STW's kensai. :D

fallen851
02-17-2006, 05:02
Yea, and I hope they make a unit called the "Arcani" in the next RTW game, they could have a cool black cape, some awesome black plate armor, a ninja mask, and like double swords!

Oh wait, they made that unit in this version of RTW...:dizzy2:

Well maybe next time the Arcani can have a finishing move.

Alexander the Pretty Good
02-17-2006, 05:26
This is why we should hang the entire marketing department.

:wall:

Incongruous
02-17-2006, 07:17
Feudal foot knight versus Chivalric seargent

READY FIGHT!

HU!

HA!

POW!

WHACK!

KUCHUNG!

BLAMMER!

KAZUUNG! HA!

FINISH HIM!

Feudal foot knight wins...

econ21
02-17-2006, 21:50

I think it sounds cool.:2thumbsup: Better than thrusting and cutting into mid-air like in the other games.

Yeah, I agree. Admittedly Warhammer screams out for over the top animations, but it won't be a biggy for me in M2TW. I already love zooming in to watch the crash of a cavalry charge into an infantry line or to catch a general fighting for his life. Better animations will just add more spice to the game. I don't think the animations in Dawn of War really disrupted the gameplay.

drone
02-17-2006, 23:17
I don't think the animations in Dawn of War really disrupted the gameplay.
They sort of did, and sort of didn't. The kill anims made the killer invulnerable during the animation, this was done to prevent the animation from being disturbed by someone else killing the killer. The flip side is that the killer was not causing damage to anybody else during the animation. So not a real problem in close combat, but if you had all your missile fire directed at the killer, that was wasted DPS.

Might not be too bad if they are quick, wouldn't mind a beheading or two, but drawn out animations like DoW with TW scale armies would probably be cumbersome.

Lord Adherbal
02-17-2006, 23:40
I'm mostly worried about how much unneccesary strain this will put on my CPU. And I'm worried gfx & visuals are gonna get a priority over gameplay again.

econ21
02-17-2006, 23:47
They sort of did, and sort of didn't. The kill anims made the killer invulnerable during the animation,...

Yes, I knew that - that's why I said they did not "really" affect the gameplay. The animations did have in-game effects, but not ones that really affected your tactics. Apparently animations in RTW already affect combat results - QwertyMDX has posted in the EB forums about how just modding the stats is not the only thing you need to consider when balancing the units. But just as most of us did not notice that with vanilla RTW, hopefully we'll be similarly oblivious in M2TW.

Divinus Arma
02-18-2006, 00:49
I agree with the consensus here that "spinning" and flying side kicks are pretty much absurd. I choose to trust in CA and hope for the best.

Sundjata Keita
02-18-2006, 10:46
If one starts doing a high-flying kick wearing a full body suit of armour I'll be annoyed but from what they said about a spearmen barging back his opponent it sounds quite realistic and if they have enough variation it should add some spice to the battlefield.

How do you think this will affect a 2 vs 1 battle though?

screwtype
02-18-2006, 12:08
Adherbal']I'm mostly worried about how much unneccesary strain this will put on my CPU. And I'm worried gfx & visuals are gonna get a priority over gameplay again.

According to the latest article at gamespot, the minimum spec will be higher than that for RTW.

But they claim the game will still be playable on most current hardware. Of course, they always say that at the outset...

Dutch_guy
02-18-2006, 13:15
I agree with the consensus here that "spinning" and flying side kicks are pretty much absurd. I choose to trust in CA and hope for the best.

That pretty much sums it up for me, besides we can't do anything other than hope for the best...

:balloon2:

Divinus Arma
02-18-2006, 20:54
I hope they release a preview video soon....

This was a pretty early announcement it seems. Why announce almost a year before release? Meh.

They just released BI!

Zenicetus
02-18-2006, 20:59
I'm okay with finishing moves that aren't too absurd, but I just hope they elminate bodies flying through the air, for anything except the occasional artillery kill. It's a major immersion-breaker in RTW when I see a soldier fly vertically into the air after being hit by some infantry or cav unit.