PDA

View Full Version : Installing 1.2 Help.

basics
02-19-2006, 22:31
Installing 1.2

Perhaps the main problem we have in getting 1.2 installed is that the method is not explained in language that the ordinary guy can understand. If you are reading this I assume that you have tried to unzip the file but cannot get EB to work leaving you rather exasperated. I had the problem of the m/c telling me that 1.2 was already installed and after many attempts to rectify this I almost gave up. The good news is that I have now got RTW, RTR and EB all running well on my m/c. So I would like to share step by step what I did to get there.

If you have RTW installed to 1.0 or 1.1 fine. Install the zip file 1.2. Make sure that the game still runs OK even if you don’t know whether 1.2 has taken.

If you have any mods added or files beyond 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 uninstall the lot and reinstall to 1.0 and 1.2. Check that the game runs OK even if you still don’t know whether 1.2 has taken.

Once that is done left click Activision, then Rome Total War. This should take you into the works where there are some yellow coloured folders plus other things. If the Zip file shows by its folder assume that it is not installed. A look in the Docs folder, (double left click) beside the others in the works should show 1.2 (patch readme) if not that confirms that it has not taken.

Next double left click the Data folder. This will show you further files in yellow and many notepad style files. These are the files of which, some not all, will have to be upgraded. Don’t worry because there are more words in explaining this procedure than there are upgrades to make.

Next click back so that you are back to the works or larger folders. You should be able to see the Zip folder. Double left click on that and more smaller folders appear. These are Data, Docs and an Icon. Each of these contains a number of files that must be installed into main works Data folder that you previously opened. It is not hard to do but must be done in order so that none is missed. Done methodically and correctly you should soon see EB up and running.

So the two folders you are concerned with are the main Data folder and the Zip folder. Practise going into both to familiarise yourself with them. Once you are happy with that we can now begin.

Double left click the Zip folder exposing its files.
Double left click the Data file exposing more files.
Copy the first. That is right click and press copy.
Click back twice to enter the main area where the large Data folder is.
Double left click on that.
This will show you the smaller folders where the one you want to upgrade to is.
Paste anywhere on the page and the copy folder will show.
Drag it to its target folder and it will overwrite it. On some you will be asked if you wish it so. Answer Yes. Others may do it automatically.

It is important to keep a note of the folders as you copy them and then paste them to the proper files lest you forget one. Just one forgotten copy and the thing won’t work.

Repeat until all the files from the Zip folder, Data folder are transferred to where the main Data smaller files are, animations to animations, descr to descr etc. It is a case of getting into a rhythm that you are happy with. It really doesn’t take long.

Next go into Zip folder, Docs folder and transfer these files to the main Docs file beside the main Data file. There are only two, Help and Readme.

Next copy the icon in the Zip folder and transfer it to the same icon in the main page where the main Data file is. That is copy and paste.

Do not remove the Zip folder when you are finished just in case, but to all intents and purposes that is it.
Do not at this point attempt to install EB or RTR or any mods.
Test the game to see that it works.

Once done then go back into Activision, then Rome Total War. Right click that folder and press copy. Right click again and press paste. A copy of your updated RTW will now be made. This may take a little while so don’t get impatient. It is to this copy that you will eventually install EB.

Keep your original as just that for if anything happens you can always revert to it or if you wish to make further copies for more mods this is the one that you will copy from.

Once the copy is done it will probably be named copy 1 of Rome Total War. Go into the main works page where the upgraded icon is.
Right click the icon and press make copy.
Minimise the screen and drag the copy icon onto your desktop. This is now the shortcut to that version of the game. You can rename it but don’t touch the original from which you made the copy.
Test the game by the shortcut.
If that is OK then proceed installing EB to copy 1. That is Activision-Rome Total War-copy 1 of Rome Total War-install. All being well the thing should work OK.

Should it not work don’t uninstall the thing just yet and should I say don’t uninstall your original. In that repeat the process in case you have forgotten a file to transfer. By all means uninstal the copy with EB but until you have repeated the process on the original don’t delete that. It will be at least a version 1.0 or 1.1 and can be used again and again until the problem is solved. Once you have repeated the process check the game then make another copy and to that reinstall EB.

basics.

Kull
02-20-2006, 00:02
Very helpful. You could make it less scary-looking by adding numbers for each major section and letters for each subsection. Helps folks avoid getting lost as they step through your instructions. :book:

Edit: Oh, one other thing. Anybody willing to type up that much text might have a future writing building and/or unit descriptions for EB. Interested in any factions in particular? The Armenia team is crying out for help, but there's plenty of others with gaps.

basics
02-20-2006, 10:46
Dear Kull,
What I have written is a follow through in ordinary language, I think, of what RTR Solutions say in a more technical way. The sum total belongs to another man and to him should go any honour. After much struggle not knowing what this meant or what that meant I eventually got there and I decided to see if it could be more easily followed. I'm only a game player with no great understanding of patience and indeed IT so I must decline your invitation although if you can do anything to make easier what I have written please do so. It is annoying to think that there are many who may have or already have given up trying to install the game/s.
Thank you for your kind words,
basics