PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if they plan on fixing suicide diamyos

Tim
02-22-2006, 05:36
This seems to be one -of many- the deveoper simply cannot fix. We saw it in Shogun, with patches and Mongol Invasion. We saw it in Medieval with patch and in Viking Invasion. And then there is Rome. I'll take the safe bet and say this will also be a problem in this installment.

sapi
02-22-2006, 07:16
I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trithemius
02-22-2006, 10:11
And then there is Rome. I'll take the safe bet and say this will also be a problem in this installment.

Pretty much, although they seem less crazy. ;)

BelgradeWar
02-22-2006, 12:04
Excuse me, but what is a diamyo?

Trithemius
02-22-2006, 12:40

No need to be excused!

It is a typo of daimyo, the word used for the generals (or rather faction leaders?) from Shogun: Total War.

King Yngvar
02-22-2006, 19:21
Could you elaborate further? What do you mean by "fixing suicide daimos"?

Mikeus Caesar
02-22-2006, 19:37
Could you elaborate further? What do you mean by "fixing suicide daimos"?

It's a well known problem with all TW games that AI generals are utterly suicidal, and go charging into the fight oblivious of the fact they'll die in seconds. Thus, once they're dead, the enemy lose moral and route, causing battles that should take hours to end in minutes.

King Yngvar
02-22-2006, 19:52
Yep, I get it now... And that is a seriously lame problem. On that subject of generals in combat, I also hope they make generals for the human player completely fearless, meaning you must choose that he should flee. Just think it is kind of silly that the king flees from battle without me ordering it, concidering I am supposed to play as the king...

Bob the Insane
02-22-2006, 19:54
This appears to have many reasons though... Often the General is the most powerful unit on the battlefield and the AI would happily throw it into battle.

This became spectularly evident in the orginal release of RTW with AI controlled reinforcements where the first unit on the field would be the reinforcements general and he would be changed off weel in advance of his troops right into the center of the enemy lines.

While the issue has increased and decreased in occurance and effect over time (releases and patches) it has never entirely gone away.

RTW:BI with the latest patches does pretty well though with the AI General normally held back until they can make an effective charge ona weakened unit. They are now more like "extremely agressive and not too worried about their personal safety" than actively suicidal. Also the sheer uberness of cavalry in BI also helps out the AI generals alot...

lars573
02-22-2006, 20:55
Leaving aside the typo it's the Japanese word/term for feudal lord. Litterally it means either land lord or land owner with tax excemption.

It is a typo of daimyo, the word used for the generals (or rather faction leaders?) from Shogun: Total War.
Just faction leaders, they were the only ones with a bodyguard unit. Generals were any unit.

BelgradeWar
02-22-2006, 22:00
Leaving aside the typo it's the Japanese word/term for feudal lord. Litterally it means either land lord or land owner with tax excemption.

Just faction leaders, they were the only ones with a bodyguard unit. Generals were any unit.

Thanks for the explanations. I would have remebered without the typo, but it was long long ago I played STW. Words generals, pharaohs etc are much more on my mind now:)

Trithemius
02-22-2006, 23:16

Ah yes, I remember the sort-of-random command star assignments!

Trithemius
02-22-2006, 23:20
This appears to have many reasons though... Often the General is the most powerful unit on the battlefield and the AI would happily throw it into battle.

This became spectularly evident in the orginal release of RTW with AI controlled reinforcements where the first unit on the field would be the reinforcements general and he would be changed off weel in advance of his troops right into the center of the enemy lines.

While the issue has increased and decreased in occurance and effect over time (releases and patches) it has never entirely gone away.

RTW:BI with the latest patches does pretty well though with the AI General normally held back until they can make an effective charge ona weakened unit. They are now more like "extremely agressive and not too worried about their personal safety" than actively suicidal. Also the sheer uberness of cavalry in BI also helps out the AI generals alot...

If the general and his bodyguard charged with some supporting cavalry then it might even work as a tactic - but they seem to believe they have superpowers or something.

Playing RTW + EB: An enemy commander and his bodyguard charged into my legions as they were deploying into an extended line - which might have been considered good timing if he wasn't doing it entirely alone...

The sneaky devil even avoided my skirmishing screen so he could ride in at a trot (not even a charge!) and be cut to bits in melee by my experienced principes. Poor fellow. :)

BelgradeWar
02-22-2006, 23:45
This issue should be addressed. I tend to use my general's cavalry too, when I lack other cavalry, but merely for pursuing/destroying and chasing off skirmishers, mostly horse-based ones. Only if the battle is at cracking point, I sometimes use them to hit in the back of enemy phalanx.

AI uses them unwisely. Similar to the principii example above, I had a situation of enemy general charging into dozen pikes aimed at him - full frontal assault on pezoi phalanx. That's an imbecile,not a suicidal man.

Satyr
02-23-2006, 01:08
I very often used my general's company as the deciding unit on the field of battle. He was often the best unit and when used wisely to flank he was very effective. Unfortunately the AI doesn't understand that he needs to be able to withdraw the general before he is slaughtered and plan appropriately.

Of course, this is all presupposing we even care about battles in MTW2, because they were so boring in RTW that I quit playing them. Oh yeah, I remember now, I quit playing RTW all together. Here's hoping the rest of the battle AI has any brains as well!