PDA

View Full Version : why no archers?

ZombieFriedNuts
02-22-2006, 20:48
In the Rome: total realism mod why are there no roman archers for the roman faction

BelgradeWar
02-22-2006, 22:09
In the Rome: total realism mod why are there no roman archers for the roman faction

Because historically they didn't have them.

BelgradeWar
02-22-2006, 22:14
Since I cannot post new threads, I'll have to ask here - does anyoone else has problems with elephants in RTR 6.2? There seems no way to avoid them running amok sooner or later...except if you keep them out of the battle completely...and I don't want to use 3500 dinarii unit as a cheering crowd...
I've tried my best, but they will at one point start running amok, and they aren't under javelin attack, aren't under flaming arrows and aren't attacking phalanxes frontally...I really don't know...

Cesare diBorja
02-23-2006, 01:13
I don't buy that explanation...............Romans used archers. Just not all through their history.

GiantMonkeyMan
02-24-2006, 19:20
romans used auxillia archers like the samartians they didn't really have a 'roman' equivilant... you can get archers when you conquer certain regions

Trickle
02-26-2006, 20:23
Watching discovery channel (or similar) t'other week.

Lots of Roman arrow heads up at Hadrians Wall. 'Course that would be of the time frame between Rome and BI.

Keba
02-27-2006, 10:23
In the Empire, the Romans used archers. It was a necessary adaptation after the numerous defeats from the various archer-heavy groups.

In the period of vanilla RTW, the Romans themselves did not really use archers. For the most part, they had skirmishers. I am guessing for the next part, but the Romans probably used allies for fielding archers in that period, or alternatively, fielded them from regions where archers were commonplace.