PDA

View Full Version : P4 Intel chipset MoBo recommendations needed

Mouzafphaerre
02-24-2006, 01:25
We've stumbled upon serious troubles with our Asus P4P800-x and will be sending it to the technical service shortly. (I'm afraid of detailing them here for the most horrendous one, an intermittent reboot, might strike before I can make this post. We are sure that no other device or Windows is responsible and that BIOS updates/downdates don't help, to put it briefly.) Whether they repair it, replace with one of the same model or we have to chop their heads, we're determined to get rid of it ASAP.

So, what do you fellow geeks recommend? Here is what we need:
Intel chipset and a suitable socket for the P43HT CPU
AGP
Reliable Sata and Ultra ATA support
COM, LPT and PS/2
USB 2
If possible no onboard audio/vga

TIA :juggle2:

Reenk Roink
02-24-2006, 01:39
We've stumbled upon serious troubles with our Asus P4P800-x and will be sending it to the technical service shortly. (I'm afraid of detailing them here for the most horrendous one, an intermittent reboot, might strike before I can make this post. We are sure that no other device or Windows is responsible and that BIOS updates/downdates don't help, to put it briefly.) Whether they repair it, replace with one of the same model or we have to chop their heads, we're determined to get rid of it ASAP.

AGP
COM, LPT and PS/2
USB 2

Wow, I thought I was up on my tech speak, but I am such a n00b...:stunned:

Geezer57
02-24-2006, 01:39
We've stumbled upon serious troubles with our Asus P4P800-x and will be sending it to the technical service shortly. (I'm afraid of detailing them here for the most horrendous one, an intermittent reboot, might strike befre I can make this post. We are sure that no other device or Windows is responsible and that BIOS updates/downdates don't help, to put it briefly.) Whether they repair it, replace with one of the same model or we have to chop their heads, we're determined to get rid of it ASAP.

AGP
COM, LPT and PS/2
USB 2

I'm assuming you don't want another ASUS board? This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127174 seems to meet all your requirements, and is very affordable to boot. This one has a passive northbridge chipset cooler, so should be more quiet than one that use a cooling fan. The cusotmer reviews at Newegg seem generally favorable. I've had a similar mobo in the past (a plain IS7) that worked well until I moved on to an Athlon 64 system.

If another ASUS is OK, then this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127174 has the highest customer rating of any sold there, although it's more money.

Reenk Roink
02-24-2006, 01:45
Gah, NewEgg doesn't ship internationally, still, any chance you could find that in Turkey Mouz?

LeftEyeNine
02-24-2006, 12:45
Hey bro', sad to hear less from you because of such problems. Asus is a do-your-best-and-keep-away one for AMD Cpu's -they absolutely suck at it. I'm not into Pentium stuff -seems Asus wants to lose their Intel-chipset Mobo market share as well.

Considering MSI's stable upwards slope of quality, I could recommend their 865PE Neo2-V Mobo (http://www.msi.com.tr/html/products/mbd/865PE_Neo2-V.htm) that is a 478-pin socket one -since so is your Asus disaster. I don't have a first person experience on that MoBo, so count my suggestion rather as joining in another alternative for your selection. I'll return with more info/suggestions in case I can find out something more on the matter.

Good luck ~:)

orangat
02-24-2006, 18:49
Why do you think its the m/b?. Intermitent reboots are hard to diagnose.

Mouzafphaerre
02-25-2006, 23:39
Intermittent rebots (as we have recently suspected) might be coming from a conflict with the -equally if not more- crappy video card, though the mobo is still the primary suspect. But it's not the only problem. The mobo causes a total hangup on attempting to use (setup Windows, copy files from/to, boot from) a SATA HDD. We have tried with different HDs, with or without the Ultra-ATA ones added, and our own SATA HD was used without problem elsewhere.

This piece of unwholesome silicone has ever been a nuisance for us ever since we bought it, before its latest tricks have been introduced.

Mouzafphaerre
02-25-2006, 23:47
Hey bro', sad to hear less from you because of such problems. Asus is a do-your-best-and-keep-away one for AMD Cpu's -they absolutely suck at it. I'm not into Pentium stuff -seems Asus wants to lose their Intel-chipset Mobo market share as well.

Considering MSI's stable upwards slope of quality, I could recommend their 865PE Neo2-V Mobo (http://www.msi.com.tr/html/products/mbd/865PE_Neo2-V.htm) that is a 478-pin socket one -since so is your Asus disaster. I don't have a first person experience on that MoBo, so count my suggestion rather as joining in another alternative for your selection. I'll return with more info/suggestions in case I can find out something more on the matter.

Good luck ~:)
Thanks mate, noted it. ~:thumb:

This is my first disappointment with ASUS actually. We used a video card f theirs for five years without any problem and a CD drive for four years, and it's the best one I've seen --save the mighty PlexWriter. ~;)

Thanks also for the links Geezer57. ~:wave:

Geezer57
02-26-2006, 18:15
Thanks also for the links Geezer57. ~:wave:

You're welcome, sorry you can't get mechandise from them - at least you can check out the customer reviews and product specifications. If you see something you like, then try to find a local source for the same item.