PDA

View Full Version : Worst Game Controllers of All Time

Lemur
02-24-2006, 16:50
This is some pretty funny stuff. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/690/690449p1.html) I'm particularly horrified by their "honorable mention," the Spiderman Plug'n'Play. It's obscene.

Paul Peru
02-24-2006, 17:57
Nice.
My Wingman Warrior didn't make it!
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/41/cf/17/21090071.JPG
Actually it was very good for games like Doom, but once you got true 3D in Quake, it became very very obsolete.

Xiahou
02-25-2006, 02:05
U force:What looks like a laptop when folded and a Death Star access panel when open is one of the most ridiculous third-party controllers ever conceived. Infra-red beams shot out of this unit's surface and tried to interpret hand motions as controller movements, but did it work? Know anyone who owned this thing? There you go.

Hey, I owned one! :hide:

I also remember the early joysticks that didnt self-center... *cringe*
https://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3885/coco1cpl4bh.th.jpg (https://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coco1cpl4bh.jpg)
See the little joysticks in the upper right corner? I went thru half a dozen of them at least.

Xiahou
02-25-2006, 09:55
I'm not familiar with some of the awful third party stuff, but as far as mainstream systems go I think I can safely say that the Nintendo 64 had a pretty bad controller.Pffft, I'd say the Dreamcast controller would get that title. The cord came out of the thing facing you, not the console... what the hell?

That said, I think we can all agree the PS2 Dual Shock 2 is the best controller out there. Can't say I like the looks of the PS3 one, however. Hopefully it's backwards compatible with my PS2 controllers.
I actually like the GCN controller, myself. But it's what Im used to, so that no doubt plays a role.

Fragony
02-25-2006, 11:00
I have had this atari. Wasn't that bad.

Beirut
02-25-2006, 12:49
I loved Intellivision, and the controller wasn't that bad at all.

Stayed up late many a night playing furious games of Sea Battle.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-26-2006, 02:18
I'm not familiar with some of the awful third party stuff, but as far as mainstream systems go I think I can safely say that the Nintendo 64 had a pretty bad controller.

Eh? The N64 controller was an inspired design! Analogue control was a pretty big thing for consoles. The triple pronged layout was great as well, and it also had a perfectly placed trigger button. What more do you want?

The original XBOX controller is my least favourite. You would have had to contract some kind of hand-specific gigantism to use the thing properly.

Phatose
02-26-2006, 07:52
I gotta disagree with you Beirut. Intellivision was pretty cool back in the day, but the controller really was 760 different shades of left except the one you want to go. Can't say modern analog sticks are much better on that respect.

The Jag controller wasn't all that bad. Wasn't great, but it worked. Unfortunately....it connected to the Jag. One great game isn't gonna sell a system unless that game is feel-o-matic sex with supermodels.

GoreBag
02-26-2006, 09:01
There was nothing at all wrong with the n64 controller.

The least favourite out of the controllers I've used is the original Xbox controller. Too large, not intuitive and actually very, very fragile.

Fragony
02-26-2006, 12:28
There was nothing at all wrong with the n64 controller.

After a while the plastic around the stick started to crumble, it wasn't very durable. Design was great though.

Zalmoxis
02-27-2006, 04:43
Well, they all suck...

Just A Girl
02-28-2006, 16:18
N64...

Worst controller ever.

Only game it was actualy Suited to was golden eye.
And then 1/2 of it was a waste of space.

"n64 controller Reason number 2. as to why my N64 is in the attick collecting dust, Reason number 1 Is becous the N64 sux. and reason number 3 is becous all but the zelda games and golden eye Sucked"

Oh yah.
the lauout of the controller ment you couldnt get to the buttons easy.
You had to keep letting go of the controller to reposition yout hand.
You couldnt have Memory and Rumble at the same time.
and the poxy joy stick in the middle would rub against the sides and eventualy snap.

All together A cheap and tacky attempt at inovation Which Miserably failed.
After the sucsess of the super nintendo's controller.

You would have imagined the n64 controller to have been more like the playstation contorllers. (basically the same)
But they shot them selfs in the foot.

if they had used a playstation style controller (i should say snes style as they came 1st)
more people would heve been inclined to buy the n64.
Purley becous the Snes was one of the if not the best selling consoles around.
So every 1 was used to the controlls.
Thats why playstation took off so well. basically same controller. with a few extra buttons.
So every 1 could pick it up easy.
Compare that to the n64 contorller.
Where buttons seemed to have been randomly placed. with no real thought of how you would push them.
And you should probably see why LOTS say the n64 contorller sux.

Out of all the buttons on the n64 on avarage 3 were used.
Purley becous the others were impossible to use mid game without having to abandon a crytical button. Or direction controll.

many people came to play on my n64...
And they all decided not to get 1 becous of the crappy games. or the bad joystick.
Sux

BDC
02-28-2006, 16:55
Half the N64 controller was pointless, and it was uncomfy. The original Xbox one was horrific too, althought the smaller versions are great.

I can't use the PS2 ones without getting really bad cramps though.

tibilicus
03-01-2006, 00:11
N64 controler IMo was great. Trigger in the right place if you know how to use it right it's proably one of the best controlers ever deisgned. ~:)

Zalmoxis
03-01-2006, 02:35
Half the N64 controller was pointless, and it was uncomfy. The original Xbox one was horrific too, althought the smaller versions are great.

I can't use the PS2 ones without getting really bad cramps though.
Really? I think the PS2 controller is very comfortable.

Just A Girl
03-01-2006, 07:22
I must agree that the ps2 controller does indeed cause disscomfort after a while.
my middle fingers knuckels seem to take the brunt of it

Fragony
03-01-2006, 09:54
"n64 controller Reason number 2. as to why my N64 is in the attick collecting dust, Reason number 1 Is becous the N64 sux. and reason number 3 is becous all but the zelda games and golden eye Sucked"

N64 as a console sucked??? Wow, I have to disagree with that on so many levels :no:

Just A Girl
03-01-2006, 10:37
Im in a good mood today.
thanx to the Flame warrior thread :)

So my responce will be,

"one mans Trash is a nother mans treasure"

As aposed to.. a bad mood reply...
WHAT??? ARE YOU MAD!!! I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IT SUX!!! THE GFX WERE CHILDISH.!!!! THE GAMES WERE BAD.
"please note that was suposed to be humerous"

(Language - Beirut)

Oh...
I can see your text here.
Thats a pain in the backside.
Ive just spent the best part of an hour trying to figure out what that pm was about.
(I display 10 posts per page, so only saw this now when i came to edit away the problem)

Fragony
03-01-2006, 11:00
Brighter then the stars you shine when you aren't strangling kittens mylady :bow:

Just A Girl
03-01-2006, 11:25
lol my lady??
I better get to the doctor's then..

my lumps are in the wrong place.

Just A Girl
03-01-2006, 13:02
Hey beirut...
NEVER MIND....

but il leave this text here. so you know why there was therad in the watch tower which asked you to come read this post..

-----------

Could you get some 1 to forward this Pm you sent me warning me for something...

Cos I cant see a word you say.
No pm.
nothing...

So Sorry.
But i dont know whats happend.
I havent broken ANY rules that im aware of...
But like ive already said before.
I havent got a clue what rules your going by in here...
Cos your on my ignore list so i couldnt read the rules.

Prehaps better communication is needed.

At the moment i cant do squat about anything.
Becous you cant tell me what i did wrong.

Otherwize id fix it..

"i did mention this was Likley to happen to tosainu san, prehaps now something will be done"

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd4/62692/see1.JPG

And if your thinking I should Just take you off ignore...

Members CANT normaly ignore mods..
So dont imagine i added you to my ignore list.
So i havent got the right to remove you from it..

BDC
03-03-2006, 22:01
Really? I think the PS2 controller is very comfortable.
My hands are too big for it. The Xbox controller fits well, the PS2 one is just too small. Even the original Xbox one was good and comfy except I had to move my hand to get the buttons...