PDA

View Full Version : Adoption

Trithemius
02-28-2006, 02:46
I'm not sure if I just missed it in the complied bug thread, but I have been playing as the Romans and I get offered to adopt some useless pleb or another quite regularly - sometimes I accept (if they are Languorous instead of Dull) and I -still- don't seem to get them as family members! Is there some kind of adoption limit, or is this a bug?

Malrubius
02-28-2006, 02:58
What, they don't show up on the family tree? If that's the case, it's not a bug I've ever heard of.

Trithemius
02-28-2006, 23:20
What, they don't show up on the family tree? If that's the case, it's not a bug I've ever heard of.

I'll see if I can confirm it - it might have been an artifact of my sleep-deprivation, but I am pretty sure the only half-way decent pleb I got for offered in a long time did not actually make it into my family.

Malrubius
02-28-2006, 23:42
Sometimes you get a message that the guy died before he could be adopted. I've read about it, but never seen it myself. This is more common with men of the hour adoptions, I think.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-01-2006, 01:09
Yeah, I've gotten at least three of those. I'm not sure if it only happens when the heroic battle had a captain who died during the battle, or if it is something more random. It's bizarre to get the message, and makes me think CA had something else planned that interacted with the system, but it didn't all come together in the end.

nikolai1962
03-01-2006, 01:27
I've seen it happen in the vanilla game where the family member sponsoring the adoption dies the same turn. It happened my very first game where a retired seventy-something year old Quintus died the same turn he sponsored someone for adoption.

oscar.k
03-01-2006, 11:07
hou coud it happen that your having a adoption
i have it manye times but i can exsplene it

Copperhaired Berserker!
03-01-2006, 21:22
Uh, what did you just say? Unless you're forgeign, there's no excuse talk like a AIM noob.

Lord Hammerschmidt
03-01-2006, 22:08
On a related note, I have had a small number of children born playing as Romani, which I thought was supposed to be entirely adoptions. Births probably accounted for between 15 and 20 percent of my generals. I could be wrong about EB's intent here, just wanted to pass along my findings.

LordElrond
03-02-2006, 00:52
No, you're right. Romans should only be adopting and getting man of the hour family members. Or at least, thats what I've been led to believe. Malrubius knows for sure.

LE

Malrubius
03-02-2006, 01:43
I think it's impossible to turn off births completely. At least it never worked in my testing. In the patch, we're going to make Patricians more likely to have children at first.

LordElrond
03-02-2006, 02:05
Mal, do roman generals get fertility traits? Or did you disable them for the romans? That could affect it. Also, can you add hidden traits to a general that would decrease their fertility by say, 100%. Then there would be no chance of them having children. Even if you can't hide it, is it still possible?

LE

Malrubius
03-02-2006, 04:09
Mal, do roman generals get fertility traits? Or did you disable them for the romans? That could affect it. Also, can you add hidden traits to a general that would decrease their fertility by say, 100%. Then there would be no chance of them having children. Even if you can't hide it, is it still possible?

LE

The traits and ancillaries that affect fertility are still in. The fertility adjustments for the different factions are done through hidden traits.

There's no option to just reduce it by 100%; we don't know exactly what 1 point of Fertility does, but the Fertile and Infertile traits affect it by 1-3 points. I don't think it's possible to turn fertility off completely, because the game determines when children and adoptees are needed and will supply them. If I kept rejecting adoptees, I'd eventually get a child.

I've noticed in my testing with the open beta system that getting negatives to fertility can actually increase the number of children. I think that somehow the fertility value rolls over to change from barren to very fertile when this happens. I've made some adjustments to the system for the patch as a result.

Trithemius
03-03-2006, 00:02
I can't seem to replicate it, so it might have just me being fruity?