PDA

View Full Version : Unit speed slower using "R"

PseRamesses
03-02-2006, 15:45
I got used with vanilla to pause the game before ordering a unit to a new position by using the R-key, the unpaused and the unit would run to their new position on ordianry "run-speed". This is NOT the case anymore. Last night I did a test with two hoplite-units.

* Test one I double-clicked on the desired target position and the unit ran there in full speed.
* Test two, I paused, clicked on the same location and hit the "R-key" then unpaused. The unit ran at maximum 2/3 of its full speed.

I was baffled so I tried hasatiies, libyan spearmen etc and it´s the same with all. Any explanation for this loss of speed using the "R-key"?

jedispongee
03-02-2006, 20:15
Are your units... winded? Tired? Exhausted?

Cheexsta
03-03-2006, 00:58
I find that sometimes units don't follow orders properly when the game is paused. Running is one example of this; you have to hit "R" just after you've resumed the game. It's annoying at first, but it becomes second nature after a while...

Anyway, it's not an EB-specific problem. I get the same thing in RTR.

PseRamesses
03-03-2006, 16:06
I find that sometimes units don't follow orders properly when the game is paused. Running is one example of this; you have to hit "R" just after you've resumed the game. It's annoying at first, but it becomes second nature after a while...

Anyway, it's not an EB-specific problem. I get the same thing in RTR.
That´s exactly what I´m doing and no my units are not tired. This has never happened before with vanilla and RTR so I´m hoping my install has gone bad since no one else has experienced this.

Cheexsta
03-04-2006, 01:11
Well, I'm 100% certain it has happened to me in RTR on several occaisions. Just get used to hitting R just as you unpause the game.

PseRamesses
03-04-2006, 13:31
Well, I'm 100% certain it has happened to me in RTR on several occaisions. Just get used to hitting R just as you unpause the game.
I always hit R after unpausing. Can anyone recall having this problem in another mod or the vanilla game? If this has been along for so long I´m baffled that I didn´t noticed it before.

Ambiorix
03-04-2006, 22:40
Yestarday my Ptolemaic general wouldn't run for about a minute, no matter how many times I double-clicked. And it showed that he was running on the unit card with the two triangles. He was "Fresh" too. I don't know what the problem is, but I haven't had the problem hardly at all... Although everything from the battle was a little odd, so maybe the causes are two different things, between our cases.

Simmons
03-05-2006, 04:47
Yestarday my Ptolemaic general wouldn't run for about a minute, no matter how many times I double-clicked. And it showed that he was running on the unit card with the two triangles. He was "Fresh" too. I don't know what the problem is, but I haven't had the problem hardly at all... Although everything from the battle was a little odd, so maybe the causes are two different things, between our cases.
Where you in a city?? thats seems to mess up most units especially if you use huge unit size.

Ambiorix
03-05-2006, 07:14
Nope, but the battle map was really screwed up. Check the faulty battle map thread to see what I mean, don't want to clutter this thread with something already covered there.

PseRamesses
03-05-2006, 17:30
Nope, but the battle map was really screwed up. Check the faulty battle map thread to see what I mean, don't want to clutter this thread with something already covered there.
That´s alright by me. I´ve had the same prob as you on several occasions. Units that don´t move on the battlefield, units that runs several hundred meters beyond their designated location and even totally off the map getting stucked and couldn´t re-enter the battlefield. Haven´t had this prob with RTR or any other RTW mod so I hope some of the EB-devs takes notice and try to adress this serious problem.

pezhetairoi
03-13-2006, 15:42
same here. I was trying to get my assaulting army into a city where I could prepare a defence at the breaches against a reinforcing enemy army while my rear was busy holding off the garrison, which was angry, and still in the city. I lost an entire accensi unit because they went into single-file while lining up to enter one of the breaches, and the single file stretched all the way to the edge of the map, where, I may add, the reinforcing army was just arriving. And to make things worse, when contacted by the enemy, rather than getting the hell out of there they charged at the enemy army, and got slaughtered, one man at a time. WTH.

Oh, and in settlements, if your units have one or two men lagging behind the main body of the unit (this usually happens when you order multiple units through a breach or to move through the streets at one time) then the unit will proceed at a walking pace regardless of how many times you double-click it to order it to run.