PDA

View Full Version : Computer fans - how many and what?

Mikeus Caesar
03-02-2006, 17:15
I was just wondering, but how many fans are in your computers, including built-in one's and ones you put in, and are they big fans with big heatsinks? I think i have 8 fans, all of them whirring away to keep my super computer from suffering a meltdown. Years ago when i got my first computer, a lack of fans caused the processor to burnout, which in turn ruined the motherboard as you couldn't install another processor. So since then, i've always had mega fans. My most recent ones in the new PC are brilliant. They're pretty much silent, so much so you wouldn't think the computer's on. Heck, i'm playing some quiet music right now and i can't hear anything from the fans, or the processor fan. The heatsink on this one isn't as big as the last one though, a giant 1 kilo fan-shaped copper monstrosity that did the job quite well.

drone
03-02-2006, 17:39
PSU fan
CPU fan
80mm fan, center of case side, blowing in
80mm fan, on case back, blowing out
120mm fan, on case front, blowing in over the hard drives
80mm fan, on case top, blowing out

The 80mm fans are adjustable, I have them set on low at the moment.

Next case will probably be liquid-cooled. Quieter, and it won't blow dog hair into the works.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-03-2006, 04:27
I have 5 (old) 80mm case fans that make an ungodly racket, but I have good loud speakers so they don't bother anyone but my best friend. I also have the usual 5 or so miscellanious fans, graphics card, 2x PSU fans, and so on.

I should probably oil my fans, then again I've been meaning to since last spring...:sweatdrop:

Xiahou
03-03-2006, 06:20
Other than the obligatory PSU, CPU, GPU fans I have an 80mm in the front blowing in and a highspeed intel server fan blowing out the back grill. It's a little noisy, but it moves an unbelievable amount of air for its small size.

Phatose
03-04-2006, 07:44
Lets see. I've got the one in the PSU that doesn't seem to do much. The low speed, blue glowing 120 mm on the front that doesn't do much, but it's quiet. Got a 120mm Panaflo on the back, it does most of the actual air pushing. The cpu is cooled by a 92mm panaflo at reduced voltage, more then enough to keep it cool with the Xp-90. Plus I've got the 6800gt's stock fan and the stock chipset fan.

R'as al Ghul
03-06-2006, 19:37
Amazing what wind parks you guys have errected. :stunned:
I have exactly 3.
One is build into the power unit, one is build into the graphic card and
the processor fan is running on half voltage and therefore half speed and half noise.
It still is way too noisy. I wish I could have a water cooling system.
I'm tired of the swooshing noise. :wall:

Mikeus Caesar
03-07-2006, 17:12
Amazing what wind parks you guys have errected. :stunned:
I have exactly 3.
One is build into the power unit, one is build into the graphic card and
the processor fan is running on half voltage and therefore half speed and half noise.
It still is way too noisy. I wish I could have a water cooling system.
I'm tired of the swooshing noise. :wall:

Or, if you're willing to spend a little cash, buy some good fans, which produce very little noise but keep going forever. And if you're fans are quite noisy and you only have 3, i'd be worried. There's probably something wrong down there...

R'as al Ghul
03-08-2006, 11:16
Or, if you're willing to spend a little cash, buy some good fans, which produce very little noise but keep going forever. And if you're fans are quite noisy and you only have 3, i'd be worried. There's probably something wrong down there...
The thing that's wrong is my 8-year old case.
It seems to pick up all kinds of frequencies,
mainly from the harddisks but also from the power fan.

Mikeus Caesar
03-08-2006, 17:16
The thing that's wrong is my 8-year old case.
It seems to pick up all kinds of frequencies,
mainly from the harddisks but also from the power fan.

8 Years old!? Yeesh, that thing must look awful. Treat yourself, buy a nice new case. Sure, it'll be a pain pulling everything out of the old one into the new one, but at least it'll make your PC look good.

Then again, i can't talk, with my 5 year old beige box.