PDA

View Full Version : Event Based Turns

Vladimir
03-03-2006, 14:12
Alot has been made of this "turn" issue and whether to base it on season, year, or whatever. Can't this be based on events relative to the player? Be it the arrival of an army at its intended destination, the completion of a city improvement, etc why hasn't this been discussed? It would speed the game up during slow phases, slow it down when things are hectic, and allow for the passage of time (not turns).

I'm only barely familiar with RTW's turn system and I don't agree with the length of time MTW covers, but I think this system is worthy of consideration.

Thoughts?

Peasant Phill
03-03-2006, 16:16
maybe that's going to happen

read this thread:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61960

Vladimir
03-03-2006, 17:35
Yes I read that thread and I wanted people to discuss the possibility of Event Based Turns.

A.Saturnus
03-03-2006, 21:16
I did:

I'm trying to figure out how that is meant with the "tracking turns". I think this offers some opportunities (please read on before outrage). Instead of a set period of time a turn could represent an amount of action. I for one often have in my campaigns times at which few things happen. Then, turns rush by without me doing much. For example because I have to wait for a structure to be build. At other times, say I'm involved in a campaign against a neighbour or defending a city, lots of things happen each turn. It sometimes takes hours just to complete one turn. What I'm suspecting is that CA wants to change that.
In calm periods, turns represent more time since few decisions have to be made over several years. But when the action starts, each turn might only represent a fraction of a year, so that you can control every step of the campaign.
If my interpretation is right, 225 turns might actually be fine, even for me, because, actually, several years in which nothing happens could be put into one turn, leaving more turns for the interesting action.

Obviously, there are some difficulties. How are they going to do this? Years still have to be represented some way because the life of people cannot be counted in turns and I expect historical events to play a role. But that's not really a problem. That a turn can represent various amounts of time doesn't mean the game can't keep track of years as well (and show you). It only means that a year, or half a year, isn't an instance that offers you a set amount of decisions to make.
What I'm more curious about is how the game will be able decide how much action there is and how much turns you're offered for that action. In what way will the player be able to decide how much action he's going to start.
I'm sceptical whether CA can implement this right, but I still see the opportunities.

But it seems no one noticed or understood.

doc_bean
03-03-2006, 21:53
It sounds....complicated

Vladimir
03-03-2006, 22:21
It sounds....complicated

It could be. I suppose it would depend on build times and how movement is conducted. I've known other games to do this and it would just depend on what you want to trigger a stop in the progression.

But it seems no one noticed or understood.

Apparently I'm guilty of that as well. Still, I think this is an option that should be explored.