PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Total War

Achilles234
03-04-2006, 19:25
i am asking all you star wars fans to help create a star wars mod for rome. it will be set during the 3 and 4 episodes so all factions from republic to glactic empire will be created. some screenshots can be located here...

www.swtotalwar.piczo.com

the pics are of poor quality so you wont see the detail.

If you want to join!!!

While im am in talks with lucas arts and starwars.com to make this mod legal i cannot resume unless a good team are assembled. All moddders good or bad will be accepted, or if you would like to learn how and help us out all info will be shared on how to.
If you have any hands on skill with modding of Rome total war then we would like to hear from you.

Main Positions nedded

Coder (we need a unit coder and everything else such as landscapes will need coding)

Mapper (can create a good galaxy with all avalible plannets, alredy have base just need someone to polish it off)

Skinners (can create the skin of the unit eg armour)

Unit Modelers (can create skelintons for the units)

Infomation (all about the different galaxies, cultures and so on)

Sound artist (create unit sounds, voices, music etc)

If you can do more than just 1 thing in the list then please contact me telling me all about the things you can do at...

strategic_modding@hotmail.co.uk

Dont forget good or bad everyone is accepted and as many people as possible will be taken on!

Thank you.

Achilles234
03-29-2006, 17:45
Hi after this post was blocked i have sorted out the problem (sorry again for that :oops: ) and am hoping to relaunch Star Wars Total War on this site. We now have many units created but only a few screenshots (only basic just being polished up and are looking great!! More are soon to be released) We would like to know what you think for this will help us out loads!!

Thanks!!

Agraes
03-29-2006, 18:12
Well, this would need years of work... just look at major mods, very few are out, and the more your mod is far from RTW the harder it will be to complete. I hope you are EXTREMELY motivated.

Bwian
03-29-2006, 21:09
Making the unit models is the easy bit.

I am curious as to how you plan on overcoming some of the fundamental limitations of the RTW engine when applied to this osrt of mod.

1) Weapons.
The units only fire in volleys, and not all that quickly. I have tried on many occasions to produce a rapid fire effect, but it doesn't work. You cannot stop the units firing in one go either. Added to this is the problem of switching missiles to melee. There are definite limitations to the behaviour of missile troops when close in. They run away! You can overcome this with manual options, but the AI will NOT do this.

2) Formations.
Units will still sit in blocks, or as a 'horde' in a roughly circular position. This does not fit with any kind of modern warfare.

3) AI .
The more you deviate from norm, the less likely it is to cope. Are you planning single player or multiplayer only?

4) Weapon Effects.
Particle effects are tricky. Especially laser ones. 'pulse' type weapons are fine, but forget about proper laser trails. They look a bit shabby. I know...I made some!

5) Vehicles.
How are you planning on handling these? Not as easy as they look...and I know what I am talking about here!

This is not a 'put the fool off' kind of post, but I am curious as to how deeply you have gone into the real problems that you will face. I have seen more than one modern type mod fall apart purely because they never answered the basic questions and thought they would 'sort these out as they went along' ... well, you won't! If you want to get people interested to join who CAN do the job, you will need to come up with clear plans to deal with the tricky issues right up front.

Achilles234
03-29-2006, 22:47
well as a few people have been saying exactly the same as you have and im not arguing it will take a lot of work but gun fire is no longer an issue as napolionic total war have proved. Also the star wars mod before created a AT TE just not an animation which i will create soon, (have a model and looks good) the only major issue i have is with aircraft as i made one before but it flew odly? :inquisitive: I do agree with you that these mods do fail but i and the team have high hopes and will try to overcome them the best we can!! We have got gun fire almost sorted, tragectory of the lazer we havent done yet but are working on.

I will explain how to do all of this in our forums so people know how to do this, soon!!!

But thanks for opening our eyes yet again we do need to overcome these major obsicals and any critisum is welcomed!!! :help:

oh PS we have a new major site opened all about strategic games check it out at...

www.strategicmodding.piczo.com

you can even post your up and comming mods there :laugh4:

Lusted
03-30-2006, 11:46
Don't you have a modeller because without one this mod will never work, at the moment it is just reskins, they look nothing like wookies.

palissa
03-30-2006, 21:16
You also checked the balance between land mass and sea mass?
I fear too much sea will not work in rtw engine..

I agree some on wookie, but anyway I hope you improve, isnt easy start skin, i know by myself, is very hard.

But everything can be learned :)

Bye

Bwian
03-31-2006, 19:33
I asked about gunfire for a good reason. I KNOW how to make gunfire like the NTW2 team did, I even made some particle effects that looked a bit like gunsmoke... but, as an old wargamer who cut his teeth on Napoleonic wargames, I know how muskets were employed. In volleys. Only skirmishers would fire independantly to harass enemy lines. Also, those troops fought in lines and squares....which went out of fashion BIGTIME once people made fire-arms that could hit a target on purpose! Those old India Pattern muskets relied on volume of fire and blind luck to kill.

Also...when it comes to machines, check out what I was doing on the Metal Mayhem mod ( before a road accident shelved any modelling for the immediate future ). Making mech units is easy. As long as it fits an existing skeleton, no problems. FLYING units, however, are another matter altogether.

You can easily modify animations to make a unit appear to hover. Done it. What you CAN'T do, however, is make other units react as though the unit is anywhere but on the ground. They will not shoot 'up' and they will engage in melee with the ground under the flying unit. I made the units hover at a low height so interaction looked more natural. Proper aircraft on a the battle map are impossible.

When it comes to laser trajectory....make sure the velocity is high enough. You also need to play with upper nad lower angles. If you get the velocity too low, the laser will 'curve' downwards. It looks wrong ;) Get the velocity looking good, then tweak the launch angles to make sure they fire at the right place, and the shots don't disappear into the floor.

Be VERY careful about what you want the mod units to be able to do, and choose a scenario and unit set that fits what you CAN do. This will help to keep the mod gather interest. Also, make sure you don't promise anything until you know you can deliver it. Otherwise, all you will get is people knocking hte mod.....and you will never recruit any decent team members, or keep ones you already have. I wish you luck

palissa
03-31-2006, 20:13
yeah, this is my contribution.

https://img309.imageshack.us/img309/7259/st23lc.th.jpg (https://img309.imageshack.us/my.php?image=st23lc.jpg)

:)

Achilles234
04-01-2006, 10:58
i do agree with all of you and this realy has been taken into careful considerateion and thanks all the same. We are continusly changing the models to make them look perfect and the are only basics and as you said are just reskins. Hopefully though within a few days we will be able to release the finnished product which i like very much!!