PDA

View Full Version : v0.73/v0.74 Recruitment issues

khelvan
03-05-2006, 09:44
Post any recruitment problems in 0.73 here. Please note the temporary recruitment guide here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61708).

Teleklos Archelaou
03-05-2006, 17:35
I'll go ahead and say that there are still unit recruitment issues in Sparte. Our unit recruitment guy wasn't available for the last week or so and we still don't have this resolved. So I'll go ahead and warn everyone: MIC5 there probably still won't get you much of anything. It's a serious troublespot and we will get this fixed, it just slipped by here at the end of the patch fixes.

Big_John
03-05-2006, 19:53
thanks for making this thread khelvan. ~:)

also thanks to everyone who helped me out in the last recruitment issues thread. keep 'em coming guys.

Djurre
03-05-2006, 20:11
I was under the impression that the unit recruitment issues were considered high priority by the developers. will there be a hotfix for all issues not resolved?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-05-2006, 20:16
It is still a beta. Things are not finished. Unit recruitment is one of those things. A lot of unit recruitment has been fixed. Tell us what is still problematic and we will put it at the top of the list to fix. Why complain about unit recruitment not being fixed when not one person outside the mod has yet posted a problem? :grin:

khelvan
03-05-2006, 21:37
We are only human, and we have only so much time to work on this. As you may or may not have noticed, unit recruitment is just a tad complicated in EB. I am, however, extremely sorry if we haven't lived up to your high standards; we'll endeavor to do better in the future.

Trithemius
03-05-2006, 23:11
It is still a beta. Things are not finished. Unit recruitment is one of those things. A lot of unit recruitment has been fixed. Tell us what is still problematic and we will put it at the top of the list to fix. Why complain about unit recruitment not being fixed when not one person outside the mod has yet posted a problem? :grin:

So far, playing as the Romans, my only problem with unit recruitment has been the fact that I can't recruit outside of Italy until 106 (or thereabouts). Stupid pesky interesting game features! ;)

LordElrond
03-06-2006, 02:00
We are only human, and we have only so much time to work on this. As you may or may not have noticed, unit recruitment is just a tad complicated in EB. I am, however, extremely sorry if we haven't lived up to your high standards; we'll endeavor to do better in the future.

Khelvan your replies can turn the most demanding persons into appreciative souls (not saying that anyone has been demanding yet). It almost brings a tear to my eye. I can't wait to test out the fixes.

LE

Spendios
03-06-2006, 19:53
Pezhetairoi are available in Turdetania/Zeugitana/Venetia is that correct ?

Also in Sicilia island Pezhetairoi are available in both Elimya/Sicilia but not Trinakrie (that is strange because other Hellenic units are available in Trinakrie/Sicilia and not Elimya).

Epeiros is the only successor who can't recruit Pezhetairoi in Chersonesos Thraikia.

Reenk Roink
03-07-2006, 00:57

Khelvan your replies can turn the most demanding persons into appreciative souls (not saying that anyone has been demanding yet). It almost brings a tear to my eye. I can't wait to test out the fixes.

Khelvan must be the meanest dad EVAR... :tongue2:

Keba
03-19-2006, 23:48
I just conquered Rome with Macedon and set up a type II goverment. The Romans already had a MIC 5 in the city, so I decided to make use of that.

For some reason, there is nothing avaible for recruitment. The display for the MIC building shows Hypaspitai and Hetairoi avaible with a Patris Makedonike ... but nothing else.

The situation is so very, very confusing. :dizzy2:

Kull
03-19-2006, 23:56
I just conquered Rome with Macedon and set up a type II goverment. The Romans already had a MIC 5 in the city, so I decided to make use of that.

For some reason, there is nothing avaible for recruitment. The display for the MIC building shows Hypaspitai and Hetairoi avaible with a Patris Makedonike ... but nothing else.

The situation is so very, very confusing. :dizzy2:

According to the Government Type "Strategy" hints (in the descriptions), Types 1 & 2 let you build YOUR native units....of which there probably aren't many in Rome. A Type 3 or 4 will let you build NATIVE units, like presumably, Romans and Samnites and such. That said, recruitment still has issues, and may not be working here yet.....but if you can, run a test that involves destroying the type 2 and building a type 4.....and see if that changes your recruitment options. Since it's a test, don't march or fight and if attacked just auto calc...the point is to get that thing built quickly so we can see if it makes a difference.

khelvan
03-20-2006, 00:49
A temporary unit recruitment guide was posted, a spreadsheet which will tell you which units you may build where, with what government in place. You may find it here. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61708)

econ21
03-20-2006, 01:05

Incidentally, can someone remind me what we are supposed to do when we conquer cities? I've been demolishing the government style buildings and the troop building (MIC) ones as I have a memory that was what the EB recommended us to do pre-patch (to make us wait to be able to recruit troops in conquered places). Is that right? Or am I confused?

Foot
03-20-2006, 01:11
Its not necessary to destroy the MICs as far as I know.

Foot

econ21
03-20-2006, 01:21
But I thought you could train troops straight away with a MIC? Whereas the EB team intended that you should train troops only when you have established a form of government in the province?

I have a uneasy sensation that I am getting this muddled up with RTR (whose details I also forget...:dizzy2:).

Foot
03-20-2006, 01:25
You can only gain troops from a MIC if you have your own government. However the MIC, if I remember correctly, does not have to be yours - it resembles the facilities not the style of recruiting.

Foot

econ21
03-20-2006, 01:27
OK, thanks for the heads-up! I'll restrain my vandalism. ~;)

Teleklos Archelaou
03-20-2006, 02:27
Right. You can use the old MIc buildings - that's ok. Especially if you choose a type3 or type4, obviously they would still use their MIC to train their troops there. If you take the time to build a type2 or 1, it's assumed they've done other things to install their government choice there, not just build one single govt building over 20 turns (:grin:), so we think it's ok then to just keep the MIC the same too.

No one should expect, currently, to be able to train much of anything inside central Italy for now, unless you're roman. Just raze it and move on.

vizigothe
03-20-2006, 17:24
Im playing as Iberia and I have built several halls of heros and I still cannot recruit units. I can only recruit 2 different kinds of units in the 2 cities I captured, and 1 unit per city at that.

Dont know whats wrong, perhaps I missed a memo.

Keba
03-20-2006, 19:36
According to the Government Type "Strategy" hints (in the descriptions), Types 1 & 2 let you build YOUR native units....of which there probably aren't many in Rome. A Type 3 or 4 will let you build NATIVE units, like presumably, Romans and Samnites and such. That said, recruitment still has issues, and may not be working here yet.....but if you can, run a test that involves destroying the type 2 and building a type 4.....and see if that changes your recruitment options. Since it's a test, don't march or fight and if attacked just auto calc...the point is to get that thing built quickly so we can see if it makes a difference.

Sorry it took me this long, I forgot to check the thread.

Right, tried a type 4 in Rome ... same as before, absolutely no troops. Still says I could recruit Catapulta (with the school), hypaspitai and Hetairoi with type 1.

khelvan
03-20-2006, 20:08
Here is the place (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61708) where you may find out if this is intended. If you check that data out and it does not match what is in game, there is a problem. If not, it is due to a design decision or the lack of units which will eventually be recruited there; in those cases go ahead and use that unit guide thread as a place to begin a discussion. If it is a problem (mismatch between spreadsheet and game) then note it here and we'll fix it ASAP.

Thanks!

Big_John
03-20-2006, 20:09
Im playing as Iberia and I have built several halls of heros and I still cannot recruit units. I can only recruit 2 different kinds of units in the 2 cities I captured, and 1 unit per city at that.

Dont know whats wrong, perhaps I missed a memo.i'll take a look at this, i have had a feeling something was wrong with iberian recruitment, i'll let you know.

edit: yup, looks like northern iberia got left behind in the recruitment dept. we'll deal with that as soon as possible.

Urnamma
03-20-2006, 20:56

Dont know whats wrong, perhaps I missed a memo.

Iberia has a lot of problems currently. With 6 or so new units added to 0.8, you'll see these problems corrected. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Urnamma
03-20-2006, 21:02
Right. You can use the old MIc buildings - that's ok. Especially if you choose a type3 or type4, obviously they would still use their MIC to train their troops there. If you take the time to build a type2 or 1, it's assumed they've done other things to install their government choice there, not just build one single govt building over 20 turns (:grin:), so we think it's ok then to just keep the MIC the same too.

No one should expect, currently, to be able to train much of anything inside central Italy for now, unless you're roman. Just raze it and move on.

I'd like to note that we've fixed this for the next release. There will be plenty of italian units for everyone to recruit once they've beaten the stuffing our of the romans.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-20-2006, 21:24
I'd like to note that we've fixed this for the next release. There will be plenty of italian units for everyone to recruit once they've beaten the stuffing our of the romans.
You know that's what I've been wanting to hear. :2thumbsup: :bow:

Keba
03-20-2006, 23:37
Here is the place (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61708) where you may find out if this is intended. If you check that data out and it does not match what is in game, there is a problem. If not, it is due to a design decision or the lack of units which will eventually be recruited there; in those cases go ahead and use that unit guide thread as a place to begin a discussion. If it is a problem (mismatch between spreadsheet and game) then note it here and we'll fix it ASAP.

Thanks!

Right, did the checking. The spreadsheet has Latium2 completely empty, so it's not an error. Sorry about that. :embarassed:

From now on, I'll check before posting.

Trithemius
03-21-2006, 01:00
You know that's what I've been wanting to hear. :2thumbsup: :bow:

Romani hate :(

struckat
03-21-2006, 01:32
Version 73a, Casse 247bc, cannot recruit Mori Gaesum in Darioritum, Bibracte, Avaricum, or Cenabum. I have Govt level 3 or 4 in all and MIC level 4+ in all. Checked spreadsheet and it says Govt 3 or 4 and MIC 4+ in all.

I dont see any other posts saying they have had same problem.

Struckat

Big_John
03-21-2006, 06:00

Also in Sicilia island Pezhetairoi are available in both Elimya/Sicilia but not Trinakrie (that is strange because other Hellenic units are available in Trinakrie/Sicilia and not Elimya).

Epeiros is the only successor who can't recruit Pezhetairoi in Chersonesos Thraikia.thanks for spotting those, we'll fix them asap. :thumbsup:

Version 73a, Casse 247bc, cannot recruit Mori Gaesum in Darioritum, Bibracte, Avaricum, or Cenabum. I have Govt level 3 or 4 in all and MIC level 4+ in all. Checked spreadsheet and it says Govt 3 or 4 and MIC 4+ in all.

I dont see any other posts saying they have had same problem.

Struckatyup, the spreadsheet is now outdated (it was for v72) mori gaesum are now correctly limited to helvetia.

when i find the time, i will try to put an updated spreadsheet together.

Urnamma
03-21-2006, 06:09

Epeiros is the only successor who can't recruit Pezhetairoi in Chersonesos Thraikia.

You get a gold star. Everything you've said I just had corrected :-)

GMT
03-21-2006, 08:18
I think there's a recruitment problem in Nikomedia, I've got a level 5 MIC there as the Seleukids and I can't recruit any troops except for Batacorii which shouldn't be there at all I think, unless they got drunk and lost their way home. :dizzy2:

I also checked the recruitment guide that was posted a while ago and it seems that the Seleukids can't train any troops in Nikomedia there. This is a bug , right? :help:

GMT :bow:

Big_John
03-21-2006, 21:59
I think there's a recruitment problem in Nikomedia, I've got a level 5 MIC there as the Seleukids and I can't recruit any troops except for Batacorii which shouldn't be there at all I think, unless they got drunk and lost their way home. :dizzy2:

I also checked the recruitment guide that was posted a while ago and it seems that the Seleukids can't train any troops in Nikomedia there. This is a bug , right? :help:

GMT :bow:this is an old hidden resource problem with descr_regions that should have been resolved long ago, not sure why it's still here. i'll let you know how to fix that, but i'm not sure the change will be save-game compatible.

in your RTW directory, go to \Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\ and open the files called DESCR_REGIONS.TXT

in that files look for this entry (it's near the top):

Bithynia
Nikomedia
macedon
Bithynoi
202 17 122
silver, gold, wine, tradeport, alpha, beta, delta, epsilon

change that to this:

Bithynia
Nikomedia
macedon
Bithynoi
202 17 122
silver, gold, wine, tradeport, gamma, delta, epsilon

that's all. thanks for noticing that. looks like it's been this way since the OB... and finding this error was one of the first things i did when i joined EB. :inquisitive:

again, not sure if it's save-game compatible or not, so keep that in mind.

khelvan
03-22-2006, 00:32
It requires a descr_regions.txt change, which requires a deletion of map.rwm - I don't think savegames will work with this, but I could be wrong.

As to the omission, thanks for pointing it out. You realize, of course, that we're all human, and make mistakes?

Wurzelgnom
03-24-2006, 15:00
As Parthia I'm able to fully use the Seleucid Governements without having to build my one ones.
So after taking for example "Alexandria-Ariana"(right beyond Baktra) I was able to train Zradha Pahlavans as well as all the rest of my fation units. This applied as well to settlements like "Susa", "Ekbatana", "Persepolis" and many others....Since I don't think this is intendes it should be a bug.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-24-2006, 15:15
It's an exploit. Would conquerors be able to just step right in and use another faction's 'homeland' or 'military cleruchy' governments? Possibly they could to use someone's 'allied state' govt, but then those are cheap and quick anyway. There are only so many building complexes in the game, and we can't force more to work than do (64), so we try to destroy them 99% and tell you that you should build your own, but if someone likes playing EB but doesn't like the idea of a new people needing to set up *their own* types of government, then I guess we've failed.

Ludens
03-24-2006, 20:45
As Parthia I'm able to fully use the Seleucid Governements without having to build my one ones.
So after taking for example "Alexandria-Ariana"(right beyond Baktra) I was able to train Zradha Pahlavans as well as all the rest of my fation units. This applied as well to settlements like "Susa", "Ekbatana", "Persepolis" and many others....Since I don't think this is intendes it should be a bug.
The problem is there is no way the EB team can destroy the governement buildings of another faction when you take a city over. They have can do 99% damage to make them unusable for the A.I. (who never repairs them) but the player is not supposed to make use of them either. Just destroy them when you take the city.

So it is not a bug. It is just a possible exploit you should ignore.

Edit: :oops: just noted TA's post. I must be going blind.

Geoffrey S
03-25-2006, 00:57
Not certain where else to add this, but Yuezhi family members are called Sauromatae Family Member when highlighted on the campaign map.

Wurzelgnom
03-25-2006, 16:48
Well, is the human player able to use a governement that is 99% destroyed? Becuase I think I was able to do so...Ok, was not aware of the fact that I have to destroy it. Possibly I only came acros this thing, because I had not enough money to build my one ones at that time. Usually I destroy those foreign governments.

O'ETAIPOS
03-27-2006, 21:06
Makedon could recruit in Sparte with govt IV: Toxotai, Spendotenai, Akontistai ONLY

Teleklos Archelaou
03-27-2006, 21:27
Can you raise that on the internal unit recruitment thread O'Etairos? Specifically mention that it is maks though. That is on purpose if you were KH - no hoplites other than spartiates - but as maks I don't know what the current stance is.

QwertyMIDX
03-31-2006, 01:58
That's silly for the KH too though, what about the other Lakedomians who weren't spartiates?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-31-2006, 02:56
I'm not touching it. I've irritated people enough to little avail with my opinions on unit recruitment.

Iskandr
04-03-2006, 19:02
Not sure if this is a bug or not...does the Seluekid Reform building change any recruiting options? It doesn't appear to. I recieved it in 214 BC, at about the same time I started fighting Pahlavs (and their cataphracts) but none of my generals has recieved an "intrigued by cataphracts" trait and I can't recruit any different units in any of my cities. I am assuming that the building has been put in but maybe the units have not?

Thanks,
Iskandr

Chester
04-05-2006, 00:41
I'm able to recruit Imperial Cohorts, Praetorian Calvary and Chorts in 108 BC.

The Dreaded Candiru
04-05-2006, 03:04
playing .74 as casse, I control the isles and now want to invade the mainland, but i cant build ships anywhere. I know ictus is meant to be my major ship building port and i have all the possible naval upgrades except the final trade port upgrade and i still cant build ships. has anyone else had this problem, or can i fix it with a reinstall? (you guys said there might be problems but i didnt reinstall RTW before installing .74 ive had no problems[not a single CTD:laugh4: ] except for this)

Chester
04-05-2006, 13:09
This may be a silly answer, but maybe your not seeing the ship. It's icon is a peasent, I believe.

The Dreaded Candiru
04-05-2006, 13:41
hahaha thats probably exactly what it is. thanks, ill try not to bog the thread down with more dumb posts but i cant promise anything, thanks.

Semigall
04-14-2006, 16:52
I recruited penteconterai in Ariminum, but they didn't showed up :(

Avicenna
04-20-2006, 18:00
The Lakedaimonians were the Spartans. The other troops, such as the Helots and the skirmishers (forgot the name) didn't fight for Lakedaimon any more.

Disciple of Tacitus
05-05-2006, 21:08
Iberian Issues:

Playing along happily. But noticed these issues. No unit recruitment in NW Spain - which has been noted in another thread somewhere which I can't find. You can dump loads of money into the buildings, but u get nothing. (damn government!)
Which meant... without a good source of troops to flood Gaul, I turned south on the Carthagians - who are cursing this bug as we speak. North Africa is mine. However, I noticed something whilst plundering, pillaging and such - (I come to my main point here) there are MULITPLE (damaged) government buildings all over North Africa. Sala, Tingis, etc. In Kirtin I found 3 type 3 damaged government bldgs. Of course I plundered these and I appreciate the free money, but why is this happening?

Anyway, if this has already been answered, that's cool - point me in the direction. I am happy to hear that Iberia will be getting more units in v 8. I played the "short campaign" and won (is that right that Pontos must be off'ed for me to win?).
I enjoy the Iberia campaign, so when v 8 comes out I will start a new one. Any other factions having issues that you need put through their paces?

I try to be helpful - honestly I don't know how you guys do it. ~:thumb: All your hard work is appreciated.

Teleklos Archelaou
05-05-2006, 21:14
when a different faction takes a city, automatically the best govt for that faction is installed by scripts. If a city changes hands a lot, a number of government buildings may have accumulated. Each time a new one comes in the old one is damaged 100%, but it is still there. Just destroy them all (unless one is yours) when you capture the city. Enjoy the money! But otherwise don't worry about it. :grin:

spacedouthamster
06-13-2006, 21:10
playing as the romans in v74, I cannot build any troops in the city of Segastica - province Pannonia Illyrica. I checked out the recruitment list and its blank as far as the romans are concerned until after the marian reforms.

iberus_generalis
06-16-2006, 08:57
can anyone tell me when there is going to be the reforms? the polybian and marian? i eared something about 209 for polybians...but im already at 180BC... :help:

Foot
06-16-2006, 11:26
can anyone tell me when there is going to be the reforms? the polybian and marian? i eared something about 209 for polybians...but im already at 180BC... :help:

Have you turned the script on? To do so click on one of your buildings and the advisor should show up. Click on her and she will start talking about the Europa Barbarorum Background Script. Click on the Show Me button and that will run the script, which does most the new stuff in EB.

Foot

Dram
09-08-2006, 14:28
I noticed that as the aedui, when I took the west-most gallic city, the one where you have veneti baguadas to train, it says that you need a type 2 expansion government to train them but you can only build type 1,3 or 4 in that province. so in other words they are unusable in campaign since its the only place you can get them.

sorry i cant remember the name of the province d-_-b