PDA

View Full Version : Post 0.73 ctds here

Ano2
03-05-2006, 13:26
Hope you don't mind me making this topic but I got my first one with 0.73.

It was as Getai. Scripting was on. I was assaulting the town to the East of the starting town (By the Coast). I had the second son, who was the faction heir (First son killed on first turn) and I had 3 units of the phalanx troops, and 3 archers. I had a spy open the gate and i attacked first turn. Then as it was loading the battle it ctded.

Am gunna try it again with scripting off.

Malrubius
03-05-2006, 13:55
The background script being on or off should have no effect on battle-loading CTDs.

Cheexsta
03-05-2006, 15:07
Just had a CTD as Makedon after fighting Epeiros. Was besieging Ambrakia (there were a few units left inside, mostly Illyrian Levies and Taxeis Hoplitai, but had a general in it too) and Pyrrhos (on his own) tried to lift the siege. I'd fought another battle against them normally earlier on with no problems, and I was facing no new units (so definately not an anim/model/skin problem).

The only thing I did differently was click "End Battle" straight away rather than "Continue." I'll see if I can upload the savegame if I get the CTD again...

Kierkegaard
03-05-2006, 16:42
i have not received any CTDs so far, but i do recieve an error message.
i have played EB for about four turns, everything is ok, but when i exited the game, i received a message which said "DATABASE_TABLE error found:unrecognised record id romain medium cavalry requested", so what does this mean?:dizzy2: :dizzy2:

cunctator
03-05-2006, 16:49
There are still some files that refer to vanilla units that not longer exist in EB.
The default historic and multiplayer battles for example, or maybe an old replay.

I always get this error message after I exited the game when I was before in the historic battles selection menue.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-05-2006, 17:30
Everyone should keep in mind one of the only CTDs that we know of that occurs in conjunction with battles occurs when you are fighting an enemy with reinforcements. Sometimes it CTDs upon leaving the battle. Sometimes it doesn't though.

My suggestion is that before you fight any enemy with reinforcements, you definitely save the game. And I wouldn't fight any big epic ones against enemies with reinforcements either *unless* I was going to be ok with autoresolving it the next time *if* it did CTD upon exiting to the battlemap.

Mujalumbo
03-05-2006, 18:06
Fired up a game as the Koinon Hellenon. On the first turn, I took all my starting forces at Sparte and attacked Corinth. I just maintained the seige, and the Mak's sallied out. When I go to fight the battle, it finished loading but then CTD's with the following message:

"Generic Error:
Failed to find texture 'data/models_building/textures/##standard_ebmacedonia.tga'."

Teleklos Archelaou
03-05-2006, 18:12
Fired up a game as the Koinon Hellenon. On the first turn, I took all my starting forces at Sparte and attacked Corinth. I just maintained the seige, and the Mak's sallied out. When I go to fight the battle, it finished loading but then CTD's with the following message:

"Generic Error:
Failed to find texture 'data/models_building/textures/##standard_ebmacedonia.tga'."
Uh-oh!! Good grief. Thanks for catching this quickly Mujalumbo. I'll get on this immediately.

edit1: It's working fine on my build in the same scenario. Something must have gotten screwed in transit to submission to the patch. I'll keep on this now.

edit2: I don't have the patch the installer places - but I think I know what happened. The banners probably got placed in this file instead: models_buildings/textures/ as an error instead of models_building/textures/

edit3: The correct fix is now on the main forum. It's easier to use that one. Thanks again should go out to Mujalumbo for catching this quickly and letting us get a solution out for everyone as fast as we could! :2thumbsup:

The_White_Knight
03-05-2006, 18:41
I can confirm this.

edit3: As an immediate fix, going into the data file and opening up descr_building_battle.txt, and inserting these vanilla entries *in place* of the new ones will solve the problem:

...or copy the textures folder in the typoed 'models_buildings' folder to the 'models_building' folder? ~:idea:

Or won't this work because of packing-thingies?

Kull
03-05-2006, 18:45
I tested this solution and it works:

MOVE the textures folder from the models_buildings folder to the models_building folder

Teleklos Archelaou
03-05-2006, 18:45
I've posted an alternate fix (your second suggestion, also made on the internal board by Kull) on the main forum. gah....

The_White_Knight
03-05-2006, 18:49
I've posted an alternate fix (your second suggestion, also made on the internal board by Kull) on the main forum. gah....

These things happen. ~;)

I'm still blown away by this patch. :bow:

Foot
03-05-2006, 19:58
CTD attacking Nikomedia with Pontus. Clean install of RTW 1.2, EB 072 and EB 073 no other mods on top of it. Battle loading screen crashes half-way through loading.

Foot

Teleklos Archelaou
03-05-2006, 20:36
I just took all my startup armies of Pontos to attack Nikomedia. The first time I was intercepted by the eleutheroi army nearby and had a river battle. I quit it and tried again. This time I got my armies there before he moved up - and so I attacked the city and have a proper battle. No issues. dunno what happened with yours.

Foot
03-06-2006, 12:48
I just took all my startup armies of Pontos to attack Nikomedia. The first time I was intercepted by the eleutheroi army nearby and had a river battle. I quit it and tried again. This time I got my armies there before he moved up - and so I attacked the city and have a proper battle. No issues. dunno what happened with yours.

Wierdest thing, my crash to desktop from this seems to only happen when I run the game on high priority, but it never had this problem with 0.72. AH well, the difference between running it on high and not is negligible, so no problem.

Foot

Kierkegaard
03-06-2006, 15:02
There are still some files that refer to vanilla units that not longer exist in EB.
The default historic and multiplayer battles for example, or maybe an old replay.

I always get this error message after I exited the game when I was before in the historic battles selection menue.

ok, i have gotten it, so it will not cause CTD, right? :laugh4: :laugh4: :idea2:

Baldrick
03-06-2006, 15:16
Just got two CTDs on Bactria and Pontos (can't give you the exact scenario as I haven't been saving etc...just playing about) I'll try the priority thing as I never had a single CTD with .72

Zero1
03-06-2006, 15:28
I keep getting a CTD whenever I have more then one battle per turn but I've been playing on high priortiy, gonna try it on normal priority and see if that does the trick.

mike^_^
03-06-2006, 15:53
ive tried playing 4 campaigns so far. and all of them have ended in the first 5 years because of the "AI move/merge army bug". 4 macedonian campaigns, and 1 roman campaign

have you guys gotten any closer as to finding out the actual cause of this problem?

its not playable like this

exhibit A: winter, 271 B.C. crashes on Ptolemy turn. restart game, check "follow AI" , toggle fow. easy enough, I'll just move rebel commander "Haxamanish" to arabia, seeing as soon as he is attacked by "Captain Euphranor" and repells the attackers, in their retreat the game CTD's. start up the game again, end turn, now with Haxamanish in Arabia, Captain Euphranor makes 1 small move outside Jerusalem and the AI switches to moving another piece. "great" I think, but nope, the AI's not done with Captain Euphranor yet. Captain Euphranor now moves north a little, just to the border of the province, to meet a seleucid army. whether he was out of movement points, or initiating an attack i don't know. he stops and the game CTD's. start the game up again , end turn , Captain Euphranor makes his first move outside Jerusalem, then starts moving their other guys. I then use the move_character cheat to move Captain Euphranor to greater macedonia, before the AI is finished moving the other pieces and can get back to Captain Euphranor. *phew* "that should fix it" I mumble to myself. nope, the very next piece they move, a queued 2 turn attack on libya, at the end of their movement points it CTD's.

:furious3:

Zero1
03-06-2006, 18:22
I tried not playing on high priority and that seemed to do the trick in reguards to the CTD battles, at least for a little while.

I was playing as the Sweboz and attacked the settlement to the north east of their starting province, the island one, I can't remembed the damned name of it even though I saw it like...twelve seconds ago. Well I attacked it, and it loaded fine and everything, but in the middle of the battle when the main melee in the middle of the settlement began, it CTD, no error message or nothing, just a CTD.

My army had three Fraemamen, two generals, two Riderharjoz, and one unit of archers. The enemy army had one unit of Riderharjoz, I think two Fraemamen, one unit of those Swordsbondsmen, and one unit of those Germanic skirmisher guys, the "youthlings" or whatever they're called.

No idea what caused this, I'll retry the battle and see if it recurs

Geoffrey S
03-06-2006, 18:32
Got a CTD when checking out the Sweboz. Second turn I attacked the town in Denmark with the closest forces, crashed during battle.

And a slight bug, the rebels all seem to have white banners on the battlemap.

Zero1
03-06-2006, 18:39
Interesting that it would happen to both of us while playing the Sweboz during siege battles, could it be some sort of texture or skeleton bug?

O'ETAIPOS
03-06-2006, 18:47
It seems that there is only navy port in Salamis, and this is NOT creating port graphics on camp map this may be a source of CTD during Ptolemies turn.

How to fix:
1 (during campain) If you could swich control to Ptolemies, do it and go to Salamis, remove ship being built and start building trade port.

2 (before start) go to Data\World\maps\campain\imperial_campain and open file descr_strat.
Move to the entry "numidia - Ptolemaioi" below you will find lists of buildings in cities.
Move to one named Kypros. Find entry type navy_port navial_bay and replace it with type port_buildings port

khelvan
03-06-2006, 19:36
I know it sounds weird, but if anyone finds a reproduceable CTD, PLEASE go through two basic steps, no matter if they're in battle, out of battle, or what.

Turn off the background script, see if the CTD still exists. If it does, go back and use the blank traits file I describe here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58618).

These two tests will do absolute wonders for us in helping to track down the source of CTDs.

Zero1
03-06-2006, 19:59
The link to the neutered text file on the link you posted takes me to the microsoft homepage for some reason :help:

khelvan
03-06-2006, 20:08
Umm, weird, try this:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showpost.php?p=835308&postcount=17

Zero1
03-06-2006, 20:21
Just tried the same battle with the script turned off and largely did everything I did before, with the same result, a CTD when the battle got at it's thickest, gonna try now with the blank traits

LordElrond
03-06-2006, 20:27
If you do have a battle CTD would you mind posting it in this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62095) as well? That will really help categorize and hunt down the causes of the battle CTDs.
Please follow Kull's instructions at the top of the thread if you do decide to post there. Thanks.

LE

Zero1
03-06-2006, 20:40
Tried it with the blank traits, still got the CTD, at roughly the same time when the battle was at it's thickest, don't know what else I can do to narrow this down or evade this :no:

khelvan
03-06-2006, 20:45
Yes, I expect battle CTDs will probably result from something to do with the new animations. As such noting the exact units in the battle will be important. However, ruling out scripting and traits is simply a way for us to narrow things down and not make assumptions.

But by all means do use the thread for that purpose.

Zero1
03-06-2006, 20:53
Alright, just added my account to the battle CTD thread, and now that I think about it the CTD always occured when my men encountered the youthlings who were always in the town proper somewhere.

Lusitani
03-07-2006, 06:17
Aha...my 1st CTD on 7.03
Was playing those damned romani :P and while attacking bononia everytime the rebels had a army nearby and sallied out of the city the game crashed.
So i think i read somewhere that battles with reinforcements usually crash...took me like 1 hour to take that city :P not to mention that now rebels seem to build nonstop new units...is this a new thing from this patch?

Disciple of Tacitus
03-07-2006, 07:52
Khelvan - just so you know - you rock.:2thumbsup:

I'm still new here, so I'm making some beginner mistakes. However, I did run into a CTD that I thought I should note here.

I have a clean install of RTW 1.2, EB 072 and EB 073 with no other mods on top of it. I started as Iberia. Hit END TURN on winter 272 BC. (only 3 turns in!) and when it gets to the Ptolemolic (sp) ...it CTD's. 5 times so far.

I f*&^%$'d up by saving my game right before my END TURN (had to go to work). So I am having problems following "Khelvan's Rules to Kill Bugs". My mistake. :oops:

I suppose I should re-read your post and start a new game (I was only 3 turns in).

I know you guys are busy :juggle2: So I appreciate your patience w/ the new guy here.

LordElrond
03-07-2006, 08:14
Check out this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62125) if you are sure it is the ptolemaioi that are causing the crash. Implement the fix there and then check and see if they still occur. Hopefully that fix will get more attention and be stickied somewhere. I would recommend doing the easy permanent change to the data folder. It is probably easier for you to start a new campaign after that instead of using perfect spy since you are only 3 turns in. Hope that helps.

LE

Trithemius
03-07-2006, 11:04
Check out this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62125) if you are sure it is the ptolemaioi that are causing the crash. Implement the fix there and then check and see if they still occur. Hopefully that fix will get more attention and be stickied somewhere. I would recommend doing the easy permanent change to the data folder. It is probably easier for you to start a new campaign after that instead of using perfect spy since you are only 3 turns in. Hope that helps.

LE

Or do both, in case you start another campaign? (Or is this one of those extremely bad ideas...?).

LordElrond
03-07-2006, 17:36
No no, you're absolutely right. I'm sorry if I made it sound like you had to chose one or the other. Definitely do the data file fix. It can be a hassle if you don't know what you are doing with perfect spy though, that's why I suggested he start a new campaign. By all means do both! Thanks for pointing that out.

LE

Lusitani
03-07-2006, 19:23
Soooo is there any solution for CTD's on battles with reinforcements?
Is the rebels continuous buildup a bug or something?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-07-2006, 19:28
Some non-faction provinces develop into real powerhouses as the game goes along, but eventually it seems as though the factions overtake them. I do love the fact that some rebel provinces are strongholds for a long time though, and hold out against factions. Please don't expect that factions *should* take all provinces within 50 years and then duke it out amongst each other. That's just not kosher and I'm glad it doesn't happen that easily in EB.

There's no fix for the CTD's that sometimes happen in battles with enemy reinforcements. If anyone finds it we will heap praise upon them and give them some honorary title or something probably! :grin:

Lusitani
03-07-2006, 21:57
Hmmm yeah it makes sense actually...the only problem is that i will need several armies to destroy those rebel stacks...and that leads me to reinforcements CTD's again :).
Still...and besides that it seems quite stable and i am having a good time :)

Jolt
03-07-2006, 22:53
Some really strange has happened. Not sure if it's really a CTD since no error appears. I just installed 0.73a as usual. Then I started the game and it showed the beginning screen: Europa Barbarorum, Developer, Publisher, etc. Afterwards, the game just seems to quit back to the Desktop. No error, nothing.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-07-2006, 23:02
Delete the map.rwm file in your imperial_campaign folder and retry it.

That sounds like it could be a bad install though. Not certain of course, but that doesn't normally happen.

nemesisvsbrad
03-08-2006, 00:37
As romanoi, I never happened to encounter rebel reinforcement CTD. SO MANY times I did battle and no CTD's. I don't know why:laugh4:

Trithemius
03-08-2006, 01:13
Some non-faction provinces develop into real powerhouses as the game goes along, but eventually it seems as though the factions overtake them. I do love the fact that some rebel provinces are strongholds for a long time though, and hold out against factions. Please don't expect that factions *should* take all provinces within 50 years and then duke it out amongst each other. That's just not kosher and I'm glad it doesn't happen that easily in EB.

The huge independent (seems odd to call them rebels if they are self-governing...) stacks are not all equal though and this makes spying and planning more important than it normally is for dealing with independents.

The Sicilian stacks seem to have a lot of lighter troops, and so look pretty scary but are like as grass before the scythe to legions in prolonged streetfights. The Cisalpine Gauls are another matter though...
Brrr. Gesatae. :sweatdrop:

Jolt
03-08-2006, 13:11
The map deleting thing didn't work btw.
I'll be reinstalling the game, 0.72 then 0.73a.

Baldrick
03-08-2006, 17:39
I've not got past 272 yet with any of four different factions with the priority high or low. I'm getting an error in my Windows application log but it has no description to speak of and no Event ID...bugger. Having the script running makes no odds and I know its a good install as the .73b went straight on top of the working .72 I've been playing.

I shall persevere

vitamin7b
03-08-2006, 22:49
I am playing a Macedonian campaign I just conquered Ambrakia and destroyed Phyros. It is winter in 268 and I get a CTD after ending my turn. Tried with 4tpy and same results.

Keba
03-09-2006, 00:04
If the game crashes while the AI is making it's moves, then it is likely the Kypros naval port/fleet problem. There is a thread somewhere over here with the solution.

Otherwise, when compared to 0.72, EB is incredibly stable. I had the occasional CTD, but nothing I could replicate.

nic
03-09-2006, 00:59
I'm also having ctds with Makedonia. I don't know what it is that triggers them.

mike^_^
03-09-2006, 08:50
It seems that there is only navy port in Salamis, and this is NOT creating port graphics on camp map this may be a source of CTD during Ptolemies turn.

How to fix:
1 (during campain) If you could swich control to Ptolemies, do it and go to Salamis, remove ship being built and start building trade port.

2 (before start) go to Data\World\maps\campain\imperial_campain and open file descr_strat.
Move to the entry "numidia - Ptolemaioi" below you will find lists of buildings in cities.
Move to one named Kypros. Find entry type navy_port navial_bay and replace it with type port_buildings port

thanks I think actually that was what was causing my crashes anyway, as after applying your fix I've been able to get into a couple campaigns. coulda swore it was that damn move/merge army bug

:idea2:

Baldrick
03-09-2006, 15:43
yup, that appears to have cured my ctd also...although I'm playing as the ptolemies now which is one surefire way of stopping them building a ship in the wrong port :idea2:

Dooz
03-10-2006, 10:19
https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2772/crash8cm.th.jpg (https://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crash8cm.jpg)

CTD during load before battle, I'm the attacker as Getai. I'm going to give it another go and see if it happens again, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

-edit-

Ok this is getting out of hand. After reloading for this battle, it worked out fine. After it was over, I attacked another Macedonian army with another army of mine, of similar composition; crash. I reloaded, it worked. On my next turn, I was attacked by an army, crashed. I suppose if I reload now it'll work again, but it's really frustrating at this point. Any ideas what's going on?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-11-2006, 02:45
No idea wonderland. And that is a very strange recurring ctd indeed. Has anyone else had that happen? pre-battle ones are pretty rare I think, and not having it occur the next reload is even stranger.

Dooz
03-11-2006, 04:16
Might it have anything to do with the high priority? Or maybe running low on system memory or whatnot? I have no idea about how these things work, but I remember reading somewhere on the forums that there's some bug that leaks memory after extended play? Pretty disheartening, such a fun campaign :(

Kull
03-11-2006, 08:22
Might it have anything to do with the high priority? Or maybe running low on system memory or whatnot? I have no idea about how these things work, but I remember reading somewhere on the forums that there's some bug that leaks memory after extended play? Pretty disheartening, such a fun campaign :(

I agree with TA, pre-battle CTDs are very odd. Could you post a link to that file? Saved just before the first CTD? If others play it and can't replicate the CTD's that will suggest some kind of memory issue. If we DO get the same CTD, that means something else - although WHAT, I have no idea just now. There's at least one other reported pre-battle CTD, so maybe we can learn something from looking at the two files. You should be able to upload the file at either TWC or one of the many free file hosting services.

Dooz
03-11-2006, 08:49
: ( I don't believe I have a save file from that time now. I loaded and played on after the last report. If it starts happening again, I'll be sure to have it, as I'm super paranoid now, saving every second. Sorry.

jockey
03-11-2006, 17:52
Playing Romani in winter 250BC, when I press 'end turn' the game CTDs immediately on the ptolemei turn, regardless of the scripting being on or off.

Kull
03-11-2006, 18:11
Playing Romani in winter 250BC, when I press 'end turn' the game CTDs immediately on the ptolemei turn, regardless of the scripting being on or off.

Sounds like this problem (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62273) (go there for the fix)

Bonny
03-11-2006, 19:24
I got something similar to Wonderland, I sieged an Getai Town as Macedon and attacked it.
while the Battle mode was loading the game crashed.
After reloading the game and attacking again it worked ( the script was off)
It happend multiple times during my campain. As far as i remember always against getai.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-11-2006, 19:28
Very interesting. If this could be narrowed down even more somehow, it would be even better. I wonder if it's a certain unit that is causing problems, if it occurs with generals only or with captains too, if it is occurring on a certain type of terrain, or if other variables can be excluded. Maybe note when it doesn't happen too, if it is very common with these two factions. We don't have a big enough staff to test all of this inside the mod, so that's why you guys are helping us out a lot here by reporting these. Thanks! :2thumbsup:

Barabas
03-12-2006, 00:05
Have been playing Baktria. 257 BC captured Hekarompylos and put it to the sword (as you do after a bad day at the office). Checked what needed repairing and found 6 Satrapeia Stratiotike Klerouchike. This did not look right so I saved the game. Decided on destroying 5 of these building and tried to repair one. Pressed end of turn button and CTD! Reloaded, destroyed all 6 buildings and built new government building and the game was fine. Hope this helps. Fantastic game. This is the game The Creative Assembly should have designed.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-12-2006, 00:47
No reason it should have 6 by 257. The only reason it could have multiples would be if it rebelled and was retaken. But even then 6 seems way excessive. Oh well, doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I don't know why a ctd occurred then. That could have happened for some other reason I suppose, but it's good that you ultimately got rid of all of them and built a baktrian one.

Kull
03-12-2006, 01:14
No reason it should have 6 by 257. The only reason it could have multiples would be if it rebelled and was retaken. But even then 6 seems way excessive. Oh well, doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I don't know why a ctd occurred then. That could have happened for some other reason I suppose, but it's good that you ultimately got rid of all of them and built a baktrian one.

TA - Does that sound like another one of those script created buildings we've been trying to weed out?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-12-2006, 01:18
No, the govt buildings are placed when a province comes under the control of a faction. Also, a slave faction can build them on their own too (but usually only type3 or type4 I think). It is a script placed building, but not one of the trouble ones.

I can just fire up a seleukid campaign, and there's only one of them in Hekarompylos at the game's start. **But** that province shouldn't be able to build a type1 govt at all. Tha'ts the weird thing. Having noticed that, I think we should alert our scripters who are available to this potential problem.

bighairyman
03-12-2006, 02:26
First of all, I want to say this is a great mod, making me play RTW again.:2thumbsup:

Anyway, I just updated my EB to 0.73. Upon loading my save game, EB CTDs. It finishes loading the game, but crashes before the map shows up.

Anyone else have this happened to them?

Kull
03-12-2006, 02:37
First of all, I want to say this is a great mod, making me play RTW again.:2thumbsup:

Anyway, I just updated my EB to 0.73. Upon loading my save game, EB CTDs. It finishes loading the game, but crashes before the map shows up.

Anyone else have this happened to them?

The new version is incompatible with your old save games. Sorry!

bighairyman
03-12-2006, 04:39
What? Oh man, any way to revert back to 0.72? Or get my saved game to work in 0.73?

Simmons
03-12-2006, 05:41
What? Oh man, any way to revert back to 0.72? Or get my saved game to work in 0.73?
I guess you will have to reinstall I would however recommend just starting a new 0.73 campaign its much more stable I have not had a crash with it.

Dooz
03-12-2006, 08:15
I guess you will have to reinstall I would however recommend just starting a new 0.73 campaign its much more stable I have not had a crash with it.

Not only that, there's a surprising amount of new content, albeit not in the form of graphics, but it's amazing stuff. Traits and such.

Barabas
03-12-2006, 11:30

The Seleukid's had taken Hekarompylos several time's before I managed to get over there. Each time they had captured it the city rebelled within a couple of turns as the Sleukids left only a small garrison.

Should a captured government building not work for you? That is to say do you have to destroy the current one (or should it be destroyed in the attacK) and build your own for each city you take?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-12-2006, 16:40
Oh. Well, this makes me feel better then barabas. There is no problem really. Each time a province is taken by an AI faction, the scripts automatically put down the best possible government building for that faction. That's why there were a lot there, as you said it was lost and retaken a bunch.

As a player, every time you take a new province, we destroy the old govt buildings 100% - but they are still there. You could repair them. We don't want that. We cannot make the game totally destroy them automatically - so we do the best we can. **Every time you take a new province, you should destroy all government buildings there.** The only exception should be if it was your province before and you lost it, and then retake it. You will still have to pay to repair it, but if it was your homeland or something, you obviously shouldn't have to destroy the building and build a new one. But you should make sure all govt buildings are yours, and not some other factions.

.Nero.
03-13-2006, 18:09
Playing as Epiros, whenever I take a Roman city in battle mode, I encounter a CTD. The battle plays fine, and I can get around it by auto-calcing, but as the bar finishes loading to return to the strat map, I CTD, no error.

Every time, I've fought the battle to the end (didn't click 'End Battle'), had Pyrrhus as the general, and used a standard army of Taxeis Phalangitai, Indian Elephants, Peltasts, Hippeis, Samnite Spears and of course the general's unit. The post battle load isn't particularly long, and the crash is instant (no CPU deliberation).

Another problem I have encountered occurs when I recieve reinforcements in a battle for wich the reinforcements come from over a crossable stretch of water. The instant I click 'Start Battle', my PC locks up. I'd say it could be isolated to the reinforcements having nowhere to arrive to (the corner from which they should come was water within the playable area), particularly as the crash occured the moment they should appear... is this fixed as a possibility in 1.5, or will it be a more permantent issue?

Thanks in advance.

BerkeleyBoi
03-13-2006, 23:23
I've had a fair number of CTDs fighting against macedonia and the getei and epieros as the KH. the same thing happens each time:

general leading an army during the winter sieges a town
the siege loads
bar goes about half way and CTDs

i then reload EB, dont turn on the script, and the battle loads and everything is ok. the generals are different, the towns are different, and army composition usually contains peltasts but otherwise have different soldiers. however, one thing i did notice is that it always happens in the winter time. hope this helps!

Magister Militum
03-14-2006, 00:17
hey guys

I am playing the romani and I'm in a struggle with the ptolemaioi but every time I attack this city in the province Di'Amat I win and the game crashes.
All the family members of them are in that city and they've got more than that province so is it because of that?

Dooz
03-14-2006, 03:25
The pre-battle CTD's started happening again, this time at war against the Epirotes.

https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9546/prebattlectd5nv.th.jpg (https://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prebattlectd5nv.jpg)

Screenshot of the composition of the armies for the first ctd. Again, after reloading it worked, then next battle, ctd again. I know it was said the spear+sword animations were causing ctd's during the battle, but is that related to pre-battle ctd's as well? If there's no need to keep posting pre-battle ones, lemme know.

khelvan
03-14-2006, 06:47
i then reload EB, dont turn on the script, and the battle loads and everything is ok. the generals are different, the towns are different, and army composition usually contains peltasts but otherwise have different soldiers. however, one thing i did notice is that it always happens in the winter time. hope this helps!Can you confirm that this never happened in any of the three turns other than winter?

Also, if you have a saved game where this consistently happens, can you try doing it -with- the script running but with this traits file in place for testing:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1084120&postcount=2

Thanks!

Dooz
03-14-2006, 07:24
I've had a fair number of CTDs fighting against macedonia and the getei and epieros as the KH. the same thing happens each time:

general leading an army during the winter sieges a town
the siege loads
bar goes about half way and CTDs

i then reload EB, dont turn on the script, and the battle loads and everything is ok. the generals are different, the towns are different, and army composition usually contains peltasts but otherwise have different soldiers. however, one thing i did notice is that it always happens in the winter time. hope this helps!

I assume this is the same problem I and some others have been having, as I've posted. Turning the script off upon reload doesn't matter actually. After the initial CTD, when you reload the same battle and activate script, the battle works, at least in my experience.

PantsToucher
03-15-2006, 04:21
I've got a ctd I can't get around. I reloaded after applying the sprite fixes, and when attacking the battle loads about a third of the way, then sends me to the desktop everytime. I get the following error message:

Script error in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt at line 111265 collum 52 No level declared

I have no idea why a trait error would suddenly show up, seeing as how i haven't changed anything in that file.

khelvan
03-15-2006, 04:31
Script error in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt at line 111265 collum 52 No level declared

I have no idea why a trait error would suddenly show up, seeing as how i haven't changed anything in that file.Have you tried following the link and instructions here? (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1084120&postcount=2)

PantsToucher
03-15-2006, 05:20
Edit

Okay, I fixed the sprite issue, that was my bad. It did load up with the neutered traits file by the way. I dunno, maybe a couple days ago when i changed some stuff in there that had to do with some bugs with the olimpics, I might have screwed something else up or something. Don't know why it would work untll now though. Anyone got the orginal file, to see if some gremelin or something changed something that it wasn't supossed to?

Edit again

I fixed it, I guess something to do with my messing up of the sprite fix was messing with the traits, I'm not sure how or why, but now everything works again.

GeneticFlea
03-16-2006, 21:53
Playing as the Ptolemaic empire, ive gotten to about 260 B.C. and Whenever i engage in a battle in or around edessa, i get a CTD after the battle during the loading screen. The first two times this happened was during a siege of the city(me being taking the city) finally i had to automate the battle as to not CTD. then i attacked a seluicid army one tile away from edessa. after the battle i received a CTD.

so i tried playing as Casse. In the first year after 3 turns(272 BC) I get a CTD when the Ptolemy turn comes up. I quit this game and attempted a second Casse game doing different things this tiem around and still on 3rd turn i experienced a CTD on ptolemy's turn.

both times ive tried turning off the script to no avail

Edit: ok now my Sarmartian campaign has died. It is the first year 272 B.C. after 3 turns and this time around i crash on the Yezhui turn. Again turning off the script makes no difference.

btw i never got crashes in 0.72 and now in .73 im getting them like crazy

Edit #2: CTD with Epieros after 3 turns or so. This is getting really annoying, i mean i love all the new stuff, i just cant play with it!!!

Edit #3 ok Romani has CTD after 3 turns now as well, im assuming now that this is going to be true for all cultures...it only bugs me that initially it didnt touch my ptolmaic campaign in the same way. odd...

Lusitani
03-16-2006, 22:50
Ok...here i am...playing my Romanii campaign around 205BC and after conquering the italian peninsula and the northern dalmatian provinces, trying to maintain my armies in one piece, basically because i usually have to automatically fight siege battles cause there are always reinforcents and a CTD comes in everytime i try to fight them manually...and now...most of the times i try to fight a one on one battle...i get a ctd or a error message saying that some makedonian tga file doesnt exist.
I am sort of fed up of looosing precious units by having to fight automatic battles...
Has this been happening to you guys?
Best regards