PDA

View Full Version : 0.73 Beta Traits and Ancillaries Bugs, Issues, and Problems

Malrubius
03-05-2006, 14:00
Post any bugs, issues, or problems you have with the EB Traits and Ancillaries system with the 0.73 patch (the first patch) here.

If possible, include a screenshot of the problem. This can convey a lot of information to me without words. Next best is a description of the problem, including the faction, the character's other traits, the year, and the season.

This first post will be used to compile the problems that have been posted, so please read before posting: your problem may have already been discovered or fixed.

If you don't post here or in the official bugs thread, it will probably be missed or forgotten.

Known Issues:
- The faction-specific "Drink" traits need some work to completely separate them from the plain versions (Problem acknowledged, not yet resolved).
- The Olympics aren't working at all (Problem acknowledged and resolved in this post (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1088006&postcount=5))

Malrubius
03-08-2006, 01:08
Here's one I thought I had fixed!

Makedonian generals get 2 versions of the Drink trait.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62178

Cheexsta
03-08-2006, 08:34
Another thing with Makedonian generals is that they seem to "renounce their drinking habits" very frequently, though this will probably be fixed if you remove one of the drinking traits...

Also, I've been getting lots of Olympics competitors recently. Which isn't bad, but when it happens practically every year? Is it supposed to just be the Olympics year or is it supposed to be like this? They also tend to not get any traits saying that they've won or lost.

I'll see if I can get a screenshot next time it happens...

oudysseos
03-08-2006, 13:16
Been playing the KH (fav faction!) and i can confirm the Olympics problem. I get a lot of Agonistes/ Olympic Competitor hits, several times in non-olympic years, but have never had a result either loser or winner.

Malrubius
03-10-2006, 01:22
I'm not sure what could be causing these Olympics problems. So it's happening with multiple factions?

[edit]
I found it. Stupid mistake, but easy to fix without messing up your saved game.

Do a search for this in your Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt file:

Trigger KoinonHellenon_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01

and add these two lines:

and Trait YearsPassed = 2
and Trait Season = 2

so it looks like this:

;------------------------------------------
Trigger KoinonHellenon_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01
WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition Trait KoinonHellenonOlympicCompetitor = 1
and Trait Season = 2
and Trait KoinonHellenonOlympicVictor < 1
and Trait FormerKoinonHellenonOlympicCompetitor < 1
and Trait CaughtCheating < 1

Affects FormerKoinonHellenonOlympicCompetitor 1 Chance 100

More later...

Ok, it's later:
You should have a trigger for each faction that looks like this (search "could_not_Compete" and make sure they look like this):

Trigger Baktrian_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01

Condition Trait BaktriaOlympicCompetitor = 1
and Trait Season = 2
and Trait BaktriaOlympicVictor < 1
and Trait FormerBaktriaOlympicCompetitor < 1

Affects FormerBaktriaOlympicCompetitor 1 Chance 100

Trigger Epeiros_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01

Condition Trait EpeirosOlympicCompetitor = 1
and Trait Season = 2
and Trait EpeirosOlympicVictor < 1
and Trait FormerEpeirosOlympicCompetitor < 1

Affects FormerEpeirosOlympicCompetitor 1 Chance 100

Trigger Makedonia_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01

Condition Trait MakedoniaOlympicCompetitor = 1
and Trait Season = 2
and Trait MakedoniaOlympicVictor < 1
and Trait FormerMakedoniaOlympicCompetitor < 1

Affects FormerMakedoniaOlympicCompetitor 1 Chance 100

Trigger Ptolemaioi_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01

Condition Trait PtolemaioiOlympicCompetitor = 1
and Trait Season = 2
and Trait PtolemaioiOlympicVictor < 1
and Trait FormerPtolemaioiOlympicCompetitor < 1

Affects FormerPtolemaioiOlympicCompetitor 1 Chance 100

Trigger Seleukid_could_not_Compete_in_the_Olympics_01

Condition Trait SeleukidOlympicCompetitor = 1
and Trait Season = 2
and Trait SeleukidOlympicVictor < 1
and Trait FormerSeleukidOlympicCompetitor < 1

Affects FormerSeleukidOlympicCompetitor 1 Chance 100

PantsToucher
03-10-2006, 04:55
Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the file I would need to open to change this. Traits aren't something I've ever messed with at all, so I'm not sure what file I'm looking for.

Malrubius
03-10-2006, 05:16
Sorry about that. I've edited my previous post to include that useful information. (Randomly searching files for could_not_compete might take a while!)

PantsToucher
03-10-2006, 22:04
Thanks for the help, although the KH may be dead pretty soon in my campaign . Nice work on the traits by the way, I was playing as the Getai and got owned by the enslaves own people trait, I'll remember not to do that again.

Trithemius
03-12-2006, 07:05
I have had a bit of a problem with the Triumph 'sub-missions' in my Roman campaign - I'm trying to see if Blasio can get his before he shuffles off this mortal coil.

Blasio got his Vanquisher of the Gauls at Mediolanum, and his cognomen and Victor Galliae after battling his way through Averni provinces and armies; he hasn't managed to get his Imperatorial acclaim yet though and I have fought several 1:1 odds battles against large Averni armies (about 800+ men with about 400+ as reinforcements).

I wonder if there is something wrong, since according to the Traits thread in the main EB forum I think I should have got one by now?

Additionally: Blasio's son seems to have inherited his Victor Galliae title as well.

N.B: Spoiler tags used, as per the Traits FAQ, for those that want to find all this out for themselves.

Dooz
03-12-2006, 08:13
This is actually a suggestion, but I thought I'd post it here instead of making a new thread. If inappropriate, I'll make a thread.

The new ambassador trait diplomats get is great. I was thinking of having bonuses for the longer they are an ambassador. As in, if they're in there for 5 years, after they leave, they don't lose all the bonus influence. Maybe a "Was ambassador for 5 years", has dealt with a lot of diplomatic jibber jabber, experienced. Things along these lines. There could be different levels of it, 5 years, 10 years, and anything else the wonderful team comes up with that has to do with this general idea.

Malrubius
03-12-2006, 10:43
I have had a bit of a problem with the Triumph 'sub-missions' in my Roman campaign - I'm trying to see if Blasio can get his before he shuffles off this mortal coil.

he hasn't managed to get his Imperatorial acclaim yet though and I have fought several 1:1 odds battles against large Averni armies (about 800+ men with about 400+ as reinforcements).

I wonder if there is something wrong, since according to the Traits thread in the main EB forum I think I should have got one by now?

Additionally: Blasio's son seems to have inherited his Victor Galliae title as well.

What unit size are you playing on? Unless it's huge, the number of enemies should be good. What kind of victories are you getting? Clear? Heroic?

Ok, I think I see what the problem is. I made the conditions more stringent than I had intended. Do a search for "Trigger Imperator_granted" in Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt and change "and Trait Battlepoints > 3" to "and Trait Battlepoints > 2" each time you find it (there should be 8 triggers). The "3" requires the odds to be against the general, which wasn't the intent.

This is actually a suggestion, but I thought I'd post it here instead of making a new thread. If inappropriate, I'll make a thread.

How about just using the existing suggestions thread? (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=59464) :wink: I might miss it if you put it in a thread by itself.

Dooz
03-12-2006, 12:54
Will do, sorry. As for this one, since it's already here and you've seen it, I'll just let it be.

Trithemius
03-12-2006, 23:05
What unit size are you playing on? Unless it's huge, the number of enemies should be good. What kind of victories are you getting? Clear? Heroic?

"Normal" I think - my hastati/principes/triarii are 40/41/42.

Getting mostly Heroic victories for these really big battles, I think I got one Clear because I got confused about who the reinforcer was and managed to botch my dispositions very very badly...:shame:

Ok, I think I see what the problem is. I made the conditions more stringent than I had intended. Do a search for "Trigger Imperator_granted" in Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt and change "and Trait Battlepoints > 3" to "and Trait Battlepoints > 2" each time you find it (there should be 8 triggers). The "3" requires the odds to be against the general, which wasn't the intent.

Cheers for that! Not in time for poor old Blasio but perhaps for my new crop of warmongers?

Is passing the titles down to your son (the trait, not the cognomen change) a feature or a bug?

Malrubius
03-13-2006, 00:10
Is passing the titles down to your son (the trait, not the cognomen change) a feature or a bug?

It's intended. If it's not historically accurate, let me know, and I'll fix it.

Trithemius
03-13-2006, 02:22
It's intended. If it's not historically accurate, let me know, and I'll fix it.

Does this mean that the son can then thrash some [appropriate culture] armies and settlements and get his own triumph? Pity the son is a lover... I mean governor, not a fighter. ;)

BerkeleyBoi
03-13-2006, 04:17
I found another problem with the olympics.

One of my generals was campaigning but for some reason he was able to compete in the olympics. His movement was cut, but then he didnt win and his traits went back to normal. However, a few turns later, the same thing happened again. This time he won and now he gained an influence point but he has a permanant -100% movement. This has only happened once and I'm can't remember exactly when it happened.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-13-2006, 04:40
Thanks for reporting this. The -100 movement for one season (while they are away competing) is purposeful, but it should go away when the season is over. He also would have been inside a city (to even be considered), so he should be protected this way. Something must have happened though along the way.

nemesisvsbrad
03-13-2006, 09:48
i have some idea, here they go:

pimp: +2 influence, -2 army health, +5 tax bonus.

Keeping prostitutes for the army can be profitable but risky. After great battles, soldiers have money and want to have good times. The hookers may spread diseases but if the pimp has a good doctor it's alright. As a general, you can tax their services and make money.

moneybag: +1 influence, +5 tax bonus, -3 deprivation, -5 revolt, + 10 recruit, + 3 intelligence, + 1 population growth, -5 education.

After plunder and slaughter, the remainder of enemy population needs cash, no matter how much the interest is. Your friend lend some money to the unfortunate souls (probably theirs) and deprive them of everything they had. The poor cannot afford anything and their whole life is to work and make your friend more rich that means you after all get more rich. The conquered people means a way to multiply your money anyway, so you need this guy. When people exhausted their fortunes. they WILL join your army because they are starving. The enemy guys are hungry and contact your secret agents to inform about their dark plans for a few denarii. Yes, the other poor conspirators beheaded and you can relax. Just for 20 denarii, you can find "patriots" before they even make a move. Hungry people dont care about education, they rather to have a slice of bread. when the enemy neglects education, in the long run they are easy to manage. Yes, you fear intelligent people but they are slowly dying out.

John: +2 tax bonus, +1 troop morale, +1 infuence.

Basically what John does is repair the army equipments. After battle, the shields need patches, swords needs sharpening or polishing. And other decorations works. Not every soldiers are good enough to take car of his own equipment so you need professional repairmen. Painting, patching, repairing, sewing, fixing would prove that you care about your army. Soldiers will praise you and fight better. Of course John HAS TO pay you for having him around you.

insurance agent: +1 influence, +2 tax bonus, +2 troop morale.

This guy is rich and everyone loves him. When soldiers afraid that some day they get killed or maimed, they want protection plan. During campaign some soldiers pay him and when they retire they get a large sum of money. If they die, their money goes to the family. Having an insurance dude around you is a good way of showing your greatness. Soldiers will praise you and fight better. Of course, this dude will PAY you. It's all about the gold.

Homer: +2 influence, +3 troop morale, -2 mortality rate.

the night before battle young greek soldiers would listen all night Homers battle stories and the next morning they are beleived that they were actually part of the story and fight like lions. Some will risk their lives for glory and honor too much. A wise general want to have a group of HOMERS in his army to boost troop morale in important times.

A captured nobleman: +1 public order, +2 obiedence, -1 rebellion.

This noble man from high birth was betrayed by his co-conspirators. He is there to be abused by anyone bypasses him. People urinate on him, spit on him. Right in the town center he is chained to a fence and whipped mercilessly every day by any person. Having such a spectacle, you be alright in the long run. His fellow townsmen are scared and disgusted at you but they will be more than happy not to be chained next to him. Anyone who has connection with him quietly disappear. He will NOT last long but you are never short of a suspected noble man. Almost every noblemen will JOIN you and to be your good friend. You can easily manage these barbarian lords without much struggle if you act like a true roman. Crush them before they scratch you.

Grandma: +2 infuence, -2 personal security.

These old wives are not only good for wipe floor, also useful to control the crowd. They talk about your great deeds and how much you love the town population etc. for a few denarii probably for a bottle of wine. You name it, you spend almost nothing but the uneducated barbarian mass beleives in what they hear especially from one of their own. Keeping some of these corrupted or senile grandmothers is a good way to keep the population in check especially if they are drunkards. however they will serve you 2 or 3 years because they have great hatred towards you but the needs (alchohol) is more important than freedom. They die quickly I dont know why but who cares??

What do you think? :2thumbsup:

oudysseos
03-13-2006, 18:24
Re the Olympics problem: I applied the test changes you posted in this thread and now (playing KH) I do get loser/winner results but they still occur in off years as well as olympic years. Other than that everything seems to be going well, the logistics trait system is fab! But how do I counteract 'unhappy people' ? Is there a current guide for the trait system some place?

BerkeleyBoi
03-13-2006, 23:15
once again about the olympics, the olympic competitor trait might have become stuck when i CTDed during a battle, i reloaded without the script, fought the battle, ended the turn, and then turned the script on. it might have been during an olympic year, which means he got the competitor trait the year before the ctd, but without the script was never able to compete to remove the trait? could this be a possible reason for the stuck trait?

(i doubt it, but is there anyway i can manually remove this from my character? he's my best general...)

Malrubius
03-14-2006, 00:55
(i doubt it, but is there anyway i can manually remove this from my character? he's my best general...)

Sorry about that. I'm going to have to get this fixed, (and not try adding anything new this time). If you pull up the console by hitting the '`' key (normally underneath "ESC"), you can type the following:

give_trait "charactername" {trait name}

where charactername is the general's full name (in quotes if more than 1 word), and {trait name} is one of the following (depending on his faction):

BaktriaOlympicVictor
EpeirosOlympicVictor
KoinonHellenonOlympicVictor
MakedoniaOlympicVictor
PtolemaioiOlympicVictor
SeleukidOlympicVictor

Trithemius
03-16-2006, 03:49
I have another potential problem with triumph-seeking generals!

Does becoming the "Vanquisher" of one nation mean that the general is unable to become the "Vanquisher" of another?

redplague
03-16-2006, 19:51
I tried to edit the data/export_descr_charater_traits file for the imperator and olympics fixes. But I couldn't find the season trait in a charater's trait menu... Also I got an error message when quiting the game. I also tried restarting the comupter after editing the trait file, but still no luck.:help:

Here's the error message I get when I quit the game.
"Script Error in data/export_descr_chartater_traits.txt, at line 37439, column 5. Unknown identifier for trigger (acquire_taste_for_khat_in_Taman?) when expecting WhenToTest." Btw I tried to edit the other files in the data folder and worked but not for the traits file and I have to reinstall EB again.:wall:

Malrubius
03-16-2006, 20:14
Re the Olympics problem: I applied the test changes you posted in this thread and now (playing KH) I do get loser/winner results but they still occur in off years as well as olympic years. Other than that everything seems to be going well, the logistics trait system is fab! But how do I counteract 'unhappy people' ? Is there a current guide for the trait system some place?

I was hoping someone would write a comprehensive guide for me, but it hasn't happened yet. :no:

The closest thing is The Traits and Ancillaries FAQ (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58620)

Does becoming the "Vanquisher" of one nation mean that the general is unable to become the "Vanquisher" of another?

He should be able to get the title for more than 1 enemy.

I tried to edit the data/export_descr_charater_traits file for the imperator and olympics fixes. But I couldn't find the season trait in a charater's trait menu... Also I got an error message when quiting the game. I also tried restarting the comupter after editing the trait file, but still no luck.:help:

Here's the error message I get when I quit the game.
"Script Error in data/export_descr_chartater_traits.txt, at line 37439, column 5. Unknown identifier for trigger (acquire_taste_for_khat_in_Taman?) when expecting WhenToTest." Btw I tried to edit the other files in the data folder and worked but not for the traits file and I have to reinstall EB again.:wall:

It sounds like something got deleted from this section:

Trigger acquire_taste_for_khat_in_Tamane

Condition EndedInSettlement

redplague
03-17-2006, 02:20
It sounds like something got deleted from this section:

Trigger acquire_taste_for_khat_in_Tamane

Condition EndedInSettlement

Thanks Malrubius! :2thumbsup: I'll give it a try. Hope not to reinstall EB again.
Err where exactly do you add these missing lines to?

Malrubius
03-17-2006, 02:42
Try searching Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt for this: "acquire_taste_for_khat_in_Taman", since that was mentioned in your error.

redplague
03-17-2006, 04:56
Ok I found the lines and fixed them. Works like a charm now. Thank you Malrubius! You truly are a saviour sir. :bow:

Kull
03-17-2006, 07:58
Try searching Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt for this: "acquire_taste_for_khat_in_Taman", since that was mentioned in your error.

We knew this city was going to come back and bite us:

1) That trait refers to the city of Taman&#233;.
2) Other sections of export_descr_character_traits.txt refer to Tamane.
3) While on the map and in imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt it is referred to as Tamane'

Gahhhh!

Malrubius
03-17-2006, 11:01
3) While on the map and in imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt it is referred to as Tamane'

Gahhhh!

My sentiments exactly. :mad:

The next little mini-patch should have this fixed.

Re the Olympics problem: I applied the test changes you posted in this thread and now (playing KH) I do get loser/winner results but they still occur in off years as well as olympic years.

I'm trying to figure this one out. I'm also going to cancel the movement restrictions for now.

But how do I counteract 'unhappy people' ?

Depending on your general's ethnicity, he may be better (or worse) at governing certain types of settlements, or settlements with a certain type of government in place. Putting him in a compatible settlement should help.

Same goes for religion--if he's a worshipper of a deity, build that type of temple. If he doesn't worship any god in particular, building a temple could tie him more closely to that town. He might begin worshipping at the temple he ordered, and become a worshipper. Since the people revere this god, too, it will better associate him with the town.

The ancillary Terrence will help, if he was lucky enough to acquire him. (available 100 years into the game).

Ok I found the lines and fixed them. Works like a charm now. Thank you Malrubius! You truly are a saviour sir. :bow:

Don't give me the epithet "Soter" yet! If I had done my job right, you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place. ~;)

redplague
03-17-2006, 12:15
Well what can I say? I guess I'm just so happy to end this 5-hour frustradtion.:burnout:

Teleklos Archelaou
03-17-2006, 17:49
Sorry about the trouble Mal. If there is some unfixable problem with making the olympic competitors stay in their city for one season while they compete, then it should be disabled. But if it's possible to make it work, I still think it's a good idea.

Wurzelgnom
03-17-2006, 17:58
One question about the Triumph/Imperator thing:

Do I have to enslave a city in order to get the traits, or can I exterminate or simply occupy? I think the export_character_trait.txt(or so) says so. Or did I misunderstand something?

Malrubius
03-17-2006, 18:42
Sorry about the trouble Mal. If there is some unfixable problem with making the olympic competitors stay in their city for one season while they compete, then it should be disabled. But if it's possible to make it work, I still think it's a good idea.

Yeah, this will just be temporarily, until I can resolve the problem. :grin:

One question about the Triumph/Imperator thing:

Do I have to enslave a city in order to get the traits, or can I exterminate or simply occupy? I think the export_character_trait.txt(or so) says so. Or did I misunderstand something?

Winning a battle against the enemy and enslaving his people are the surefire ways of getting 'points' towards becoming a triumphator. You have to have captives and slaves for your triumph! :wink:

Trithemius
03-21-2006, 03:06
Blr! More Triumph problems for me!

A general has been trampling Makedonians, and just recieved the second trait and cognomen so I had him march out in search of a suitably large stack to thrash in order to be acclaimed by his troops. However, after attacking a Makedonian stack of about 700 men with his 550-or-so, winning an Heroic Victory and only allowing about 77 enemy soldiers to escape, the general still did not get a message saying he was named imperator by his men; I even waited until next turn to see if they were processed then.

Have other people experienced the same thing? Is it tied to the difficulty? Or is this some other problem at my end?

EDIT: I altered the unit size from normal to large in my preferences txt files - it did not change the current campaign but would this effect the trigger at all?

Malrubius
03-22-2006, 12:04
Editing your preferences wouldn't have changed the unit size set in the traits by the script at the start of the campaign. I'm going to need more information about this guy; I got your screenshots of the prebattle scroll and the victory results, but I need to see a screenshot with all the guy's traits in it.

Here's the relevant portion of code in edct.txt:

Trigger Imperator_granted_PostBattle_Attacker_normal_UnitSize
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
and WonBattle
and WasAttacker
and FactionType seleucid
and Trait UnitSize = 2
and NumEnemiesInBattle > 500
and PercentageEnemyKilled > 30
and Trait BattlePoints > 2
and Trait Imperator < 1
and not Trait Bug = 1

Affects Imperator 1 Chance 100
Affects Triumphator 1 Chance 100

Possibilities:
1. The UnitSize trait was not set correctly by the script at the start of the game. This can be checked by going into Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt and searching for "Trait UnitSize". Change " Hidden" to "; Hidden" to comment out the hidden attribute of the trait and make it visible. You'll have a new trait displayed, either Small, Normal, Large, or Huge. If this says Large or Huge, it would explain the problem. We'd then need to fix the script, because this affects lots of other things in the mod.

2. The UnitSize trait didn't get passed down the line somehow. Was this guy an adoptee, or did his father die before he came of age? It should still have passed down, but it's possible something isn't working right.

3. You must have fought the right number of enemies (250, 500, 1000, or 1500), depending on the unit size setting. If the UnitSize trait is screwed up for this guy somehow, the easiest fix for you to apply would be to change that "Trait UnitSize = 2" to just "; Trait UnitSize = 2" or delete the line entirely.

Malrubius
03-22-2006, 20:00
Post any issues with the 0.74 version in this thread. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62763)

Trithemius
03-23-2006, 16:25
Editing your preferences wouldn't have changed the unit size set in the traits by the script at the start of the campaign. I'm going to need more information about this guy; I got your screenshots of the prebattle scroll and the victory results, but I need to see a screenshot with all the guy's traits in it.

Here's the relevant portion of code in edct.txt:

Trigger Imperator_granted_PostBattle_Attacker_normal_UnitSize
WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
and WonBattle
and WasAttacker
and FactionType seleucid
and Trait UnitSize = 2
and NumEnemiesInBattle > 500
and PercentageEnemyKilled > 30
and Trait BattlePoints > 2
and Trait Imperator < 1
and not Trait Bug = 1

Affects Imperator 1 Chance 100
Affects Triumphator 1 Chance 100

Possibilities:
1. The UnitSize trait was not set correctly by the script at the start of the game. This can be checked by going into Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt and searching for "Trait UnitSize". Change " Hidden" to "; Hidden" to comment out the hidden attribute of the trait and make it visible. You'll have a new trait displayed, either Small, Normal, Large, or Huge. If this says Large or Huge, it would explain the problem. We'd then need to fix the script, because this affects lots of other things in the mod.

2. The UnitSize trait didn't get passed down the line somehow. Was this guy an adoptee, or did his father die before he came of age? It should still have passed down, but it's possible something isn't working right.

3. You must have fought the right number of enemies (250, 500, 1000, or 1500), depending on the unit size setting. If the UnitSize trait is screwed up for this guy somehow, the easiest fix for you to apply would be to change that "Trait UnitSize = 2" to just "; Trait UnitSize = 2" or delete the line entirely.

I will reply to the 0.7.4 traits thread later in the morning, sorry I'm a bit bleary-eyed to do it right now - Oblivion came out here today... :sweatdrop: