PDA

View Full Version : This bug needs to be ironed out - now!

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 05:01
Sally siege bug:

Every time the AI sallies a besieged town the game crashes when I exit the battle summary screen. It doesn´t matter if the town garrison or another army initiates the attack. The only way around this is to autocalc the battle but with the messed up autocalc where you take some 10 times higher casualities than a human controled battle your forces just melts away unless you can pay some 10k in re-recruiting for every autocalc assault this bug forces you to do.:dizzy2:

Ex: Playing Makedonia.
272bc Sparte sallies - CTD
271bc Thermon sallies - CTD
270bc Army sallies Rhodes - CTD
268bc Army sallies Ambrakia - CTD
267bc Epidamnos sallies - CTD
266bc Army sallies Sardika - CTD

Also I had a CTD at the end screen after a double envelopment against the Epirotes in 269bc and another one going INTO the battle screen when assaulting rebel Tylis. What the h_ll is going on??????? The game is totally unplayable this way. :wall:
I also had a CTD when assulting Athenai but read in a thread how to adress that one by transporting files from the faulty "buildings-folder" to the proper "building-folder", thanks! :2thumbsup:

Teleklos Archelaou
03-06-2006, 05:21
Did you win those? Maybe we can figure something out here. We've just had people testing some, and no CTD's resulted. But we'll keep working on it.

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 05:28
Did you win those? Maybe we can figure something out here. We've just had people testing some, and no CTD's resulted. But we'll keep working on it.
I won all battles I played. Most of the battles I then autocalced I lost, initially, taking heavy losses at the first attempt. This doesn´t seem to happen when I assault or if a solitary defender sallies. It seems to be related to multiple armies being present.
Thx for your swift reply, solid as a rock as always TA.

khelvan
03-06-2006, 05:28
For anyone who wants to rule out some things for us, here is an explanation of how to disable traits for testing. If you could rule out "after battle" traits being gained, that would make me happy and make Tom say "I told you so," and I'll move on to another focus.

If you would like to eliminate certain traits from showing up, it's simply a matter of commenting out a few triggers. The file you'll need to edit will be in your Data folder, and is called export_descr_character_traits.txt.

To remove winter and summer campaigning movement restrictions:
Search for the following code:

;------------------------------------------
Trigger winter_has_arrived_and_may_shut_down_campaigning
WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition Trait Season = 4
and Trait HasWinterCampaigning < 1

Affects WinterEffects 1 Chance 100

Trigger summer_has_arrived_and_may_shut_down_campaigning

Condition Trait Season = 2
and Trait NoSummerCampaigning > 0

Affects SummerEffects 1 Chance 100

and comment it out, like so:

;Trigger winter_has_arrived_and_may_shut_down_campaigning
; WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
;
; Condition Trait Season = 4
; and Trait HasWinterCampaigning < 1
;
; Affects WinterEffects 1 Chance 100
;
;Trigger summer_has_arrived_and_may_shut_down_campaigning
; WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
;
; Condition Trait Season = 2
; and Trait NoSummerCampaigning > 0
;
; Affects SummerEffects 1 Chance 100

To stop the forced marching trait from showing up:
Comment out this section (put ';' in front of every line):

Trigger forced_marching_flag_set

Condition CharacterIsLocal
and RemainingMPPercentage < 10
and Trait ForcedMarching < 1

Affects ForcedMarching 1 Chance 100

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 05:51
For anyone who wants to rule out some things for us, here is an explanation of how to disable traits for testing. If you could rule out "after battle" traits being gained, that would make me happy and make Tom say "I told you so," and I'll move on to another focus.
If you would like to eliminate certain traits from showing up, it's simply a matter of commenting out a few triggers. The file you'll need to edit will be in your Data folder, and is called export_descr_character_traits.txt.

I´ll have a go at it. Changed everything like you instructed BUT the last "forced march-entry" can´t be found in the traits-doc???! I´ve searched high an low for it using every word and phrase in your example to locate it. Has someone forgot that entry maybee?

khelvan
03-06-2006, 06:04
Err, it was just an example - it may be an old one, no longer valid. There are lots of battle traits; I'll try to find a list of them for you.

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 07:19
Err, it was just an example - it may be an old one, no longer valid. There are lots of battle traits; I'll try to find a list of them for you.
Err, sorry... I´m not that into editing ;) Well, like I said I took away the "winter-trait" and it seems to be working. Maybee to premature to say but I´m really tired now... been up all night playtesting...zzzzzzzz.
Anyway, since the change I had no CTD when assaulting Tylis and while besieging Nicomedia another reb-army sallied, I won - took the city, but no CTD so this bug seems to be trait-related.
There´s still a possibility that it could be related to the other factions since I haven´t had a CTD from a rebel army sallying. Just a thought. But I guess the game doesn´t tell them apart, right?

BerkeleyBoi
03-06-2006, 07:44
I had the same bug when I was sieging a rebel town with the Bactria faction heir when they sallied out. If it is trait related, maybe compare the traits between the faction heir of Bactria and the general that PseRamesses used to narrow down the possibility of which one is causing the CTD?

khelvan
03-06-2006, 08:04
I don't know that it is trait related, that is why I wanted someone to turn off traits and test it.

None of our internal testers have had CTD's, including the same battles that Pse is talking about above.

cdbavg400
03-06-2006, 08:25
I had a similar experience. As the Averni, I beseiged Aventicos on my second turn. A Helvetti army outside of the city attacked me, and the garrison came along as reinforcements. I won the battle, but after I clicked out of the Battle Statistics screen, the music played for a few more seconds, followed by a CTD. So I guess it isn't just a few, isolated cases in which this happens.

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 09:25
I don't know that it is trait related, that is why I wanted someone to turn off traits and test it.

None of our internal testers have had CTD's, including the same battles that Pse is talking about above.
Are they autocalcing battles or...? I turned back the script and started as the Romani, CTD´s on every sally-battle. Turned them off and started KH, had one battle - no CTD. It´s trait related, can´t be anything else IMHO.

Cheexsta
03-06-2006, 09:29
Hang on a second, this might be related to a similar bug I posted earlier, where if my army is besieging a city and an enemy army attacks the besieging army, the game would CTD straight after I view the post-game statistics. I tried another similar battle afterwards, the main difference being that I clicked "Continue" once I had won the game rather than "End Battle" and got no CTD.

So I wonder...if anyone can't get past the CTD without autoresolving, maybe try clicking on "Continue" once you've won the battle? *Shrugs* just grasping at straws here...

Edit: just had another one on Rhodos vs Koinon Hellenon. This time I clicked "Continue" but it still CTDed just after the loading bar finished. It was annoying, too, since that battle was the final deathblow of the Greeks...

Nagarythe
03-06-2006, 13:30
Some of those bugs you mention may be caused by the reinforcing AI armies bug. Cheexsta's bug is a perfect example of this known bug. When you fight an enemy army who has reinforcements, it sometimes CTDs when you finish the battle and it's loading back to the main map.

It only occurs sometimes, and no one knows what's the cause. Just try to avoid fighting battles against an enemy with reinforcements.

I have experimented some other CTDs, but I can't figure out why, and they have all been avoidable. But I definitely don't get any CTD involving siege battles, so I don't know why some of you have so many crashes here

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 15:32
Some of those bugs you mention may be caused by the reinforcing AI armies bug. Cheexsta's bug is a perfect example of this known bug. When you fight an enemy army who has reinforcements, it sometimes CTDs when you finish the battle and it's loading back to the main map.
It only occurs sometimes, and no one knows what's the cause. Just try to avoid fighting battles against an enemy with reinforcements.
I have experimented some other CTDs, but I can't figure out why, and they have all been avoidable. But I definitely don't get any CTD involving siege battles, so I don't know why some of you have so many crashes here

I don´t mind an occasional CTD on a beta stage but when a game crashes 100% under the same conditions there´s defenitely a serious problem. I´ve never had this problem before, not with 0.7.2 or vanilla but at one stage I experienced some problems like this with an old RTR-version, but then only at one occasion and during very specific conditions.
Avoiding this "bug" is impossible. The consequenses of doing so significantly changes the whole game concept which almost makes it unplayable. You have to pursue AND inihilate EVERY unit within one turn reach of your target before initiating the siege and as you all know the AI doesn´t exactly prefers do march united so this is impossible.
Since I edited out the "vinter marching trait" the game haven´t CTD:ed once so it seems to be trait-related. I´ll keep playing today and report my progress on this. Thx for your help.

Hang on a second, this might be related to a similar bug I posted earlier, where if my army is besieging a city and an enemy army attacks the besieging army, the game would CTD straight after I view the post-game statistics. I tried another similar battle afterwards, the main difference being that I clicked "Continue" once I had won the game rather than "End Battle" and got no CTD.
So I wonder...if anyone can't get past the CTD without autoresolving, maybe try clicking on "Continue" once you've won the battle? *Shrugs* just grasping at straws here...
Edit: just had another one on Rhodos vs Koinon Hellenon. This time I clicked "Continue" but it still CTDed just after the loading bar finished. It was annoying, too, since that battle was the final deathblow of the Greeks...

I´m sorry to say no. The game still CTD´s weather I press "continue" or not. I thought of that one too.

khelvan
03-06-2006, 19:27
I don´t mind an occasional CTD on a beta stage but when a game crashes 100% under the same conditions there´s defenitely a serious problem.The point of this beta is to find and deal with such serious problems. We didn't release it for your pleasure, we released it so you could help us find and isolate these CTDs. So, by crashing every turn, you're doing your part to help us find them. Great!

Now, please take the next step and help us isolate what is causing this, by turning off the background script before the battle, and if that works, try using the blank traits file I posted, to ensure it isn't traits, and so on.

If you don't follow the steps we have outlined, you aren't helping us solve these issues. Anyone who is testing the Open Beta for us SHOULD EXPECT to run into CTDs and needs to help us find the source if they expect them to ever be fixed.

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 21:38
The point of this beta is to find and deal with such serious problems. We didn't release it for your pleasure, we released it so you could help us find and isolate these CTDs. So, by crashing every turn, you're doing your part to help us find them. Great!

Now, please take the next step and help us isolate what is causing this, by turning off the background script before the battle, and if that works, try using the blank traits file I posted, to ensure it isn't traits, and so on.

If you don't follow the steps we have outlined, you aren't helping us solve these issues. Anyone who is testing the Open Beta for us SHOULD EXPECT to run into CTDs and needs to help us find the source if they expect them to ever be fixed.

Been playing now for 5hrs today and no CTD´s. This is after I blanked out the part of the trait-file (winter-marching) that you recommended so it seems that the possiblility of solving this one is one step closer!?
However, I have not fought against another factions, just eleutherois BUT they have sallied forth. I haven´t got into a situation where a 2nd army sallies against me when I´m besieging their comrades though which I think could be another possible cause to this problem.

I also checked out my generals, Antigonos´, traits and the only one related to movement etc is the "Eiar-trait". Another odd thing is that I´ve fought well over 25 battles and assaults, counquered 13 settlements but Antigonos has NOT aquired the "conqueror-title". Have you upped the level for gaining that title or taken it out of the game completely?

undeaded
03-06-2006, 22:48
I've been playing a Baktrian campaign, and in the first 5 years I had two replicable CTDs after ending the turn, both as the Ptolemaioi had their turn.

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 23:06
I've been playing a Baktrian campaign, and in the first 5 years I had two replicable CTDs after ending the turn, both as the Ptolemaioi had their turn.
That is not consistant with my CTD´s since mine keep happening when I´m besieging and the enemy sallies with a 2nd army.
What version are you playing? Ptol is a "greek" faction so you could be experiencing the "olympic bug" which is easily fixed. Do you get CTD´s every 4 year or on a more random basis?

Foot
03-06-2006, 23:25

It may be this bug (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62125) thats causing the problem, it does sound like it. In which case there is an easy solution, which can be found in the aforementioned thread.

Hope this helps

Foot

LordElrond
03-06-2006, 23:38
Ahh, the shameless promotion of one's own thread...

p.s. - He's probably right though.

LE

PseRamesses
03-06-2006, 23:51
Ahh, the shameless promotion of one's own thread...
p.s. - He's probably right though.
LE
I think he´s pretty smart, must be a marketing manager... or should be, he he! I agree with yours and his conclusion... unless Undeaded´s CTD´s comes 4 years apart and in an olympic year ofcourse. ;)

Foot
03-07-2006, 00:02
I think he´s pretty smart, must be a marketing manager... or should be, he he! I agree with yours and his conclusion... unless Undeaded´s CTD´s comes 4 years apart and in an olympic year ofcourse. ;)

Philosophy Student, in actual fact, but that can't be helped ;)

And I think that the olympic bug is fixed in the new version so it shouldn't be that.

Now, must get back to my Pontus campaign. Chersonesos and Pantikapaion beckon, but Byzantion is lost to the Macedonians.

Foot

PseRamesses
03-07-2006, 00:09
And I think that the olympic bug is fixed in the new version so it shouldn't be that.

Now, must get back to my Pontus campaign. Chersonesos and Pantikapaion beckon, but Byzantion is lost to the Macedonians.

Foot
Well I didn´t know what version that was running. Make well use of the bridges in the west and the M´s will be depleted. Gods speed general!

Trithemius
03-07-2006, 00:29
Philosophy Student, in actual fact, but that can't be helped ;)

Shhh! Do not disclose our special powers! :dizzy2:

PseRamesses
03-08-2006, 16:14
Well, I quit my Makedonian campaign since all was working well after I edited out some traits but now they are back. As the Seleukids I´m laying siege to Alexandreia and get attacked by three Ptolemaic forces and the game crashes weather I win or loose "continues" or "ends battle" always on pressing the "exit battle button". Doing a autocalc I loose and my forces melts away every time and I can´t get around this one.
The odd thing is that I´ve been playing for 7 years and not a single CTD and then this happens. I don´t want to autocalc it since my heir is there and Seleukos is old so I do want him to succed.
What really stunns me is that the EB-team has no experience from this problem but the community has. What do I do?

Cheexsta
03-09-2006, 08:39
auto_win defender ~;p

PseRamesses
03-09-2006, 17:10
auto_win defender ~;p
Not quite m8!

It turns out that I played this battle from every approach but it always CTD:ed on me. Then, as the exit battle screen turned up, I did NOT press "continue" but went to "battle statistics" and then exited and the game did not crash this time!!!??? I´m stunned and really can´t figure this out.

BTW, to avoid getting stucked, like me, I came up with a simple solution - a relief force two tiles behind the main army. This stack contains the base line of my defensive troops. So stuck on a sally battle that always crashes I exchange troops between the stacks to avoid my expensive cavs and unreplentishable archers to be affected by a screwed autocalc battle.