PDA

View Full Version : First Look at the Nvidia 7900s

Lemur
03-09-2006, 19:41
Hardocp has a nice, lenghty article up. (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA) If you're in the market for a new video card (and who isn't, really?) it's worth a look. Also, if you've bneen kicking yourself and saying, "Where can I read an exhaustive 19-page breakdown on the new GPUs?" This is the place to make good.

[edit]

And if you were saying, "Lemur, that article is great and all, but where can I find a fifteen-page analysis by Anantech?" Well, here is your wish. (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717)

Reenk Roink
03-11-2006, 19:05
Good article Lemur :2thumbsup:.

Here is an Alienware feature on the 7900 Series:

http://www.alienware.com/Intro_pages/nvidia7900.aspx

Now, for someone like me who was in the market for a new graphics card, this shakes things up...I was originally going to shell out $329 to NewEgg for a 7800 GT but now that this has come up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143048

:smiley: Happyness

edyzmedieval
03-11-2006, 20:30
Woooow!!!!

I am definitely getting that G71(7900GTX). It's a massive powerplant. :dizzy2:

Lemur
03-11-2006, 21:51
Reenk, let me know how loud the fan is on that thing. I'm excited about the 7900GT, since it seems like the best possible single-slot video card on the market, but some people are saying the fan is really loud. Inquiring lemurs want to know.

Geezer57
03-13-2006, 01:06
Reenk, let me know how loud the fan is on that thing. I'm excited about the 7900GT, since it seems like the best possible single-slot video card on the market, but some people are saying the fan is really loud. Inquiring lemurs want to know.
The reviews (at HardOCP, TechReport, HotHardware, etc.) pretty much all seem to indicate the 7900 series as being very quiet cards.

Reenk Roink
03-13-2006, 02:55
Touche :2thumbsup:

A review I read said that it was as quiet as the 7800...

Lemur
03-16-2006, 05:15
The reviews (at HardOCP, TechReport, HotHardware, etc.) pretty much all seem to indicate the 7900 series as being very quiet cards.
Only one of the reviews I've read mentioned the cooling device on the 7900GT, and it was pretty negative. So this lemur wants to hear from someone who owns one. Lemurs value their quiet gaming rigs.

Geezer57
03-17-2006, 02:32
Only one of the reviews I've read mentioned the cooling device on the 7900GT, and it was pretty negative. So this lemur wants to hear from someone who owns one. Lemurs value their quiet gaming rigs.

Well, I won't run out and buy one, just to test it for you, but the following quotes (pulled from the sites mentioned in my first post) support my earlier claim.

HardOCP: "The Radeon X1900 XTX emits an annoyingly loud whining drone; the NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX and GT are quiet."

TechReport: "Obviously, someone working to build a super-quiet gaming rig or the like will want to take these things into account. GeForce 7600 GT and 7900 series cards will consume less power and throw off less heat inside your PC than their Radeon counterparts."

HotHardware: "A quick visual inspection did not reveal any differences in the PCB design, and both cards share the same dual-slot cooler with heat-pipes, which first appeared on NVIDIA's high-end Quadro workstation graphics cards. ... We don't have too much to talk about in regard to each card's acoustic properties, because the sum total of noise produced by our test rig's PSU and CPU cooling fans was louder than the new GeForce cards we tested. ... When the fans on the 7600 GT and 7900 GT spun up, there was a somewhat noticable higher-pitched whine emanating from our test system, but by no means would be consider any of these new cards 'loud'."

Hopefully that will hold you until someone who's bought one posts more info - but unless that person also has examples of the competition for comparison, what good is waiting going to do?

Not that waiting isn't a good strategy - I'm not going to run right out an buy a new $500-$650 graphics card, when the price will be dropping substantially in a few months.

But if you do have money to burn on a top-end card, and noise is a big factor for you, right now the 7900 series appear quieter than the x1900's.

Lemur
03-17-2006, 07:22
Well, I won't run out and buy one, just to test it for you.
And you call yourself a true Orgite? Shame, sir, shame. If I want something tested, I expect you to spend your hard-earned cash and play guinea pig for me.

Geezer57
03-17-2006, 16:16
And you call yourself a true Orgite? Shame, sir, shame. If I want something tested, I expect you to spend your hard-earned cash and play guinea pig for me.
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: I guess I'll have to get to work on my attitude!! :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: