PDA

View Full Version : Couple of probs (one easy email one more difficult)

MiniKiller
03-10-2006, 06:28
Ok I had to do a reformat on my pc because two partitions where created on my drive. Add to that half my GB's where 'lost' and sent to 'unallocated' space but I couldnt acsess them.

Anyway I reformat BUT the second unpartioned space is still there. My hard drive is split in half because I have acsess to only have of my memory. How can I combine that unallocated space to my c drive? Alienware tech's arent helping at all!

This leads to my easy question. I asked and had in answered before but I cant remember the combo. In resetting up my outlook express I need to enter pop3 settings and smpt (or something to that affect) settings. what where the codes to make my email work? wasnt it like smtp.comcast.smpt or something to that affect?

I cant resend my question with my updated results (still half my space in unpartioned) to them until I can acsess my email because that is the one they will send it to.

Thanks kindly!

Joe

Phatose
03-10-2006, 09:05
You need to repartition it. You using XP or 9X?

R'as al Ghul
03-10-2006, 10:28
Hi Mini,

The Comcast Mail server settings are as follows:
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.comcast.net
Incoming mail (POP3): mail.comcast.net

copied from here: http://faq.comcast.net/faq/query.jsp?name=Email

Under Start/Programs/Accesoires/? you will find "Computer-Administration" somewhere in the menu. That's the tool you need to allocate the space back to your drive.

MiniKiller
03-10-2006, 23:06
I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks the email is now sorted out, I knew it was simply, this time Im gona write this down lol.

Under 'Start---programs---acc.", I dont have that option anywhere, or in any sub-catagory in acc. Would that option be anywhere else?

LeftEyeNine
03-11-2006, 15:31
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools(sp? My XP is Turkish) > Computer Administration

Then you'll get to where there are two panels. In the left panel, follow : Storage > Disk Management (sp?). After that you'll see your allocated and unallocated spaces in the lower right panel. Right click the partitions there and you 'll find options that will help you do it.

If you still can not manage the problem from there, get Partition Magic (http://www.soft32.com/download-Partition_Magic-151-5.html) (that's a trial version), I'll show you the way to. I have a lot of experience on that.

Good luck ~:)

MiniKiller
03-11-2006, 22:59
thanks very much I found where I need to go but my only option with the unallocated space is to create a new partition. It doesnt give me an option to like combine it with my other one. I'll take a pic and show u want I mean if u like. I really appriciate all the help!

LeftEyeNine
03-12-2006, 03:09
thanks very much I found where I need to go but my only option with the unallocated space is to create a new partition. It doesnt give me an option to like combine it with my other one. I'll take a pic and show u want I mean if u like. I really appriciate all the help!

Please post a screenshot of the options (and further steps if possible) so as to see if we can work it out from there. If not, Partion Magic 8 is essential.

MiniKiller
03-12-2006, 05:33
ok I've taken a couple pictures. Where do I need to put them so they come up as an image? Right now, trying to poste them as an image only results in me getting the dreaded redx with the white box terror.

thanks

Just A Girl
03-12-2006, 12:23
You wont be able to combine both partitions in xp becous windows is using them.
start again.

You dont need to format seperatly to installing windows...

when installing windows chose to delete the partition thats there,
then create a new 1 using the entire disk space availabele.

windows will then ask you which file system to use.
fat 32 or ntfs.

when you chose it will format your hard disk to that format.
Then it will install xp.

as for the use of partition magic..
In my expirience Partition magic cannot be installed on a ntfs hard disk.
(my full version cant be installed on to a ntfs hard disk)

LeftEyeNine
03-12-2006, 12:25
Try uploading images at https://imageshack.us .When your image is uploaded you'll be given 8 lines of codes. Select the last line which is the direct URL of your image and copy it (ctrl-c). Then jump to Totalwar.org forums page and click the button saying "Insert Image" which is located near font options of your post. You'll get a box requesting the URL of the image you want to include in your post, so finally you should paste the URL of the image you had been given here (ctrl-v)

LeftEyeNine
03-12-2006, 12:28
as for the use of partition magic..
In my expirience Partition magic cannot be installed on a ntfs hard disk.
(my full version cant be installed on to a ntfs hard disk)

Partition Magic works on NTFS systems flawlessly. Mine is NTFS.

And when it is an operation that needs Windows to be unloaded (like operation on C: where your Windows is installed) , it asks for a restart so that it can perform the requested operations before the loading of OS.

Just A Girl
03-12-2006, 12:37
well my partition magic 8 says.

"partition magic 8 must be installed on a fat32 drive"

Any way.
thats irrelivant.

he just needs to delete the 1st partition and make a new 1 that takes up all the space,

alternetavly he can partition the unalocated space as a seperate drive.

but to do it the conventional way would mean reinstalling xp.

if partition magic will install on a ntfs drive he can "with a 30% chance of data loss or coruption"
create a single partition with out having to reinstall windows (provided that he has no dataloss/coruption.

personally id do it the conventional way.
but theres no probs with using Partition magic, If you back up all your files Like the program tells you to before using it.

LeftEyeNine
03-12-2006, 13:49
Just A Girl, ok you know so much. Yes, he'll even lose his video card, PSU and sound card for attempting to use Partition Magic 8 on his system. Ok, there it is. You win.

You open Partition Magic 8. Pull the borders of drive C to cover the unallocated space then click apply in the left panel. It will probably ask for reboot to complete the requested operation, you'll confirm it and watch the action. That's all.

But remember to backup your video card, sound card and PSU somewhere because Partition Magic will blow them up and tear them in pieces. :laugh4:

P.S. Backup is a golden rule, Minikiller, leave the joke aside, while your system is accesible, take a backup of your important data on media. I just lost a lot of data because of my very own neglectfulness. But I think Partition Magic is behind all this, although it was not installed on my system when I lost the data. :laugh4:

MiniKiller
03-12-2006, 20:13
ok Ill get those pics up as soon as I can.

In regards to formatting, I've already tried that and it does not work. I delete the partition that I was originally running then I'm left with 2 unpartitioned segments. Both with half of my totally memory. I am unable to combine them in anyway to merge the memory together. My only option is to create a partition like I did the other day but with only half my memory being used.

*edit* Image shack, good call just gota wait till their server is worken lol

MiniKiller
03-13-2006, 23:04
ok crosses fingers that imageshack works this time...

damn! It still gives me a page can not be displayed after I try to laod my image. I'll have to look around for anotehr site to host my pics for a few days.

Just A Girl
03-13-2006, 23:35
should not be this difficult...

But here..
http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm

Then download delpart.

it will delete your partitions for you and should allow you to create a larger partition.

If you have a really huge disk. and you dont have a windows xp servise pack to install cd.
you may find windows detects the hard disk as a smaller disk than it really is.
then after you update to sp2. It detects that the hard disk is larger.
and gives you a nother partition.

Just A Girl
03-13-2006, 23:42
read the disclaimer with partition magic next time you use it LEN...
They know they can cause data loss and coruption.
and why are you talking about hardware failure?
its totaly irelivant.

LeftEyeNine
03-14-2006, 01:22
I had told you that you won.

Any further argument is irelivant.

MiniKiller
03-16-2006, 04:31
should not be this difficult...

But here..
http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm

Then download delpart.

it will delete your partitions for you and should allow you to create a larger partition.

This will cause me to loose all my current data correct? Will it simply combine them or format then combine?

And it is this difficult, trust me I tried what u said and hoped it was that easy, with a simple reformat but the unpartitioned space never merged when I deleted and formatted my other drive.

Just A Girl
03-19-2006, 02:50
It will delete the partition so you can re-partition.
you would loose all data.

if you have a very large disk. Windows xp wont detect it's true size untill after you have installed service pcak 2.
so depends on the size of the hard disk wether it will work or not.

partition magic would be your best bet if you wish to get 1 large partition. with out loosing data. (theres still a chance you will end up with corupted or lost data)

alternetavly you could reinstall windows xp again. whilst sp2 is stll installed.
which would allow you to use windows to allocate the space. (the disk could dissapear from windows untill sp2 was installed on the new install, but its more likley that it would report the disk as a smaller size untill sp2 was installed)

you can also use system tools to Partition the unalocated space. (giving you 2 partitions)
then mount it and asign it a drive letter.
(best to do that when there are no mp3 players or usb pen drives excetera attached to pc)

personally my self.
I would create 2 partitions.

I would always avoid using 3rd party programs to do my dirty work for me.
so as a second option i would always opt for a re install of windows when the disk is being detected properly.
and use windows to format and partition the disk (would mean data loss)

if i really had to use a 3rd party program to do my dirty work for me.
then i would use partition magic.
Its not dificult to use, but dose have some risks so back up your data.
(the fact that you need to back up your data just in case any way Usualy makes me just do it the old fashioned way. "if i haft to make sure that everything i want to keep is safe on cd any way, then i may as well format properly")

i doubt it helps to much.
But those are your options :)

MiniKiller
03-28-2006, 14:53
hey guys I just got back from Jamacia for spring break hellz ya lmao anyway thanks for all the help when I'm settled Ima get back to this damned pc and see whats up. Maybe creatin the second partition would just make things so much easier but do I need to install everything like virus and stuff double?

I dont fully understand how the 2 partition system works.