PDA

View Full Version : Major problem!

[DnC]
03-10-2006, 10:32
No need to read anymore. Scroll down to the bottom paragraph.

EDIT: Perhaps someone could also answer my question in my second post?

So I got my new system, everything was fine and dandy except for the memory. It's clockfrequency was 333MHz (first I had 4 sticks, I was told that this should work aswell on 400MHz and now I have 2 1GB sticks) and I tried getting it to work on 400MHz as it should.

So I started to search on the internet and found out how to do it. I changed the CAS Latency to 3.0, RAS to CAS to 4, RAS Precharge to 4 and TRAS to 8 as it showed using CPU-Z to make it work on 400MHz. That didn't work. Then I searched further and found Tweak 64XP or something and was able to set the clockfrequency to 200 and it worked. I still was under the impression that I needed to change 2T to 1T, so I disabled 2T Timing (which I thought was that thing that needed to be changed in order to get it on 1T) and my system locked up. I booted and went to my BIOS and loaded optimized defaults. Then I changed those previous four settings again and this time, as a guide stated, changed CDD-AMDR or something in the Cell menu from 2T to 1T. Saved and exited and now I can't get a signal anymore with my monitor, so I can't get into my BIOS and set everything at default again.

The system doesn't smell burned or anything, so it must still be working properly.

I have 2 1GB PQI DDR400 sticks (identical) and they are in the first and third slot (the green slots - http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=710&kind=1 - click on the picture of the board for a better view of the board).

Could it be that all I need to do is put the stick that's in the third bank into the second?

Darn my stupidity!!!

EDIT: Nevermind. I always ask first and then do something which I already thought of trying later. I just panicked thinking "darnit I just spend 1300 euro's (more then I was planning to in the first place) and I may have to spend more to get it to work again :S". I got a stick out and it booted again. BIOS is at default again.

R'as al Ghul
03-10-2006, 11:18
Cool. :2thumbsup:

[DnC]
03-10-2006, 11:37
~;p

I put the memorystick that was in the third slot into the second and now it works on 400MHz with both sticks in it!

Guess the motherboard automatically puts the clockfrequency at 333MHz if a module is in either slot three or four or perhaps another stick is also needed to be in slot one or two as well (the latter is what I actually believe to be true).

The CMD-ADDR Timing Mode, this is what I meant in the first place, is still at 2T, but I think it should work on 1T now that the sticks are in slot one and two instead of one and three. Anyone who's more knowledgable care to fill me in whether this is true?