3D unit previews have started.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/medieval2.htm

TB666
03-10-2006, 18:02
Oh he looks nice.
Very nice even.

Ultras DVSC
03-10-2006, 19:16
Why does he have yellow on his right side?

matteus the inbred
03-10-2006, 19:20
heraldry? perhaps mercenary companies like the Free Companies and the Catalan Grand Company could be introduced...

i like the looks o'this fella, an upgrade from the Swabian Swordsmen perhaps.

Guillaume le Batard
03-10-2006, 19:44
Why does he have yellow on his right side?

Ultras,

I suspect that some of the repeating factions in M2TW will utilize the same colors as they did in MTW. Being a German/HRE unit, I am guessing that's the case here: There are two colors on the Zweihander's armor, black and yellow -- the HRE's colors in MTW.

I must say he looks like pretty nifty. In a beheading sort of way. :skull:

Cheers,

G. le B.

A.Saturnus
03-10-2006, 20:16
Nice. A good start actually. I don't think anyone can complain about that one.

Duke John
03-10-2006, 22:29
I must say that it is looking very good indeed! There are no extra belts or bulky armour to make him look exciting. Displaying faction colours are always tricky with an unit that is supposed to be in full plate. The only remark I have is that normally the plackart was not coloured and the armour beneath it could have (brigandine), but that is nitpicking with such lovely detailed armour.

2 thumbs up for the artist :2thumbsup:

econ21
03-10-2006, 23:00
For some reason, my computer would not let me see the link from the MT2W page. In case anyone is having the same problem, here's the direct link:

http://www.totalwar.com/community/med23d1.htm

Basileus
03-10-2006, 23:16
Looks good, im eagerly awating to see the mounted knight though

TosaInu
03-10-2006, 23:25
Big knive.

Kraxis
03-10-2006, 23:52
Very nice indeed. The armour even seems a bit 'too large' so that he can fit padded armour underneath.

NagatsukaShumi
03-11-2006, 00:07
I certainly can see nothing wrong with that one. Looks fine to me, very nice units and an indication perhaps of how CA are looking at their units this time.

PROMETHEUS
03-11-2006, 00:35
That unit is the very first one that I don't find anything to change , it is simply great and perfect , I dunno for historicity , but I am sure few modders around can make something better ....

Zenicetus
03-11-2006, 00:45
Looks nice. I assume a unit of these guys isn't going to be too closely packed, or they'd be cutting off each other's heads while swinging that thing around. Or did they mostly use vertical strokes? It will be interesting to see how they animate this.

Furious Mental
03-11-2006, 03:59
I've heard these blokes would use their swords to chops the points off pikes. Was that indeed the case?

Divine Wind
03-11-2006, 04:42
Very interesting.....very interesting indeed *evil smurk*

spmetla
03-11-2006, 07:54
I like it, even has the bit above the hilt for when they choked up on the blade for really close fighting (didn't have room to swing)

Voigtkampf
03-11-2006, 09:42
Very nice.

Lord Adherbal
03-11-2006, 12:24
also note how the sword casts a shadow on the model itself. I assume this will happen ingame aswell. Not that my PC will be able to show such detail...

Dead Moroz
03-11-2006, 16:02
Nice unit... The zombification has started.

The thing I wish to see is special gallery that illustrates CA work on AI improvement. Something like EB threads about new formations and how certain factions use it. Well, there should be not necessary stories about formations, but something to prove that AI is really getting better... Like "photos of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction" which that American general (don't remember his name now) shown on UN conference on the eve of American invasion in Iraq.

That unit is the very first one that I don't find anything to change , it is simply great and perfect , I dunno for historicity , but I am sure few modders around can make something better ....
Seems like new game will leave you out of your modding business. :)

Kraxis
03-11-2006, 16:53
Adherbal']also note how the sword casts a shadow on the model itself. I assume this will happen ingame aswell. Not that my PC will be able to show such detail...
I think you are mistaking it with the shoulderstrap he has that goes over his right shoulder (keeps up the heraldry?).

cutepuppy
03-11-2006, 17:07
I've heard these blokes would use their swords to chops the points off pikes. Was that indeed the case?

yep, the typical role for zweihanders was attacking pike blocks. The landsknecht companies in the early 16th century made extensive use of these men. Because of the risk they took (first troops to attack), they were paid double wages, hence their nickname 'doppelsoldner'.

I hope the developpers can maintain the high standard they set for creating other units.

L'Impresario
03-11-2006, 17:11
I think you are mistaking it with the shoulderstrap he has that goes over his right shoulder (keeps up the heraldry?).

I think he means the shadow on the helmet's right half. It's quite visible while turning the model around.

Kraxis
03-11-2006, 17:49
Ahhh... now I see.

ivoignob
03-11-2006, 19:28
I am not a medieval warfare expert. That's why I ask now: In MTW days everybody complained, that actually units, using swords as their primary weapons, were very rare. Now, as we have this nice zweihander everybody is accepting it. I am a little bit confused :dizzy2: What's up with these zweihanders? Also, is this something like a man-at-arm?

(No bashing, only question)

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
03-11-2006, 20:02
Its a bit different to guys with just swords and shields. Mo'fo's with Longswords were fairly common in northern Europe.

A.Saturnus
03-11-2006, 21:28
I am not a medieval warfare expert. That's why I ask now: In MTW days everybody complained, that actually units, using swords as their primary weapons, were very rare. Now, as we have this nice zweihander everybody is accepting it. I am a little bit confused :dizzy2: What's up with these zweihanders? Also, is this something like a man-at-arm?

(No bashing, only question)

Well, the swordsmen we saw in MTW as common footsoldiers weren't historically correct. Most footmen were commoners and couldn't afford heavy armor or expansive weapons like swords. But the Zweihänders were a developement of the 15th century to counter pikes. Due to the prevalence of pikes and the scarceness of heavy war horses in that time many knights chose to fight afoot. Some joined mercenary companies and then usually fought as Zweihänders.

screwtype
03-18-2006, 17:58
Well, the swordsmen we saw in MTW as common footsoldiers weren't historically correct. Most footmen were commoners and couldn't afford heavy armor or expansive weapons like swords. But the Zweihänders were a developement of the 15th century to counter pikes. Due to the prevalence of pikes and the scarceness of heavy war horses in that time many knights chose to fight afoot. Some joined mercenary companies and then usually fought as Zweihänders.

How about that. Because I always thought two handed swords were basically ceremonial weapons.

I guess the swords were extra long so they could cut off pike heads without getting too close? Not a job I would much fancy myself though, even with a suit of armour.

A.Saturnus
03-18-2006, 18:06
How about that. Because I always thought two handed swords were basically ceremonial weapons.

I guess the swords were extra long so they could cut off pike heads without getting too close? Not a job I would much fancy myself though, even with a suit of armour.

They were not all ceremonial weapons. I have a reproduction of a Landsknecht-Zweihänder and it's rather plain. Not something you'd use for a ceremony.

I guess a long heavy sword is more usefull against pikes. Not an easy job indeed, that's why they were paid double.

Watchman
03-19-2006, 21:35
Looks nice otherwise, but I think the Zweihander is a bit anachronistic. That type of very large two-handed sword was mainly used in the pikeman armies of Renaissance as an "assault weapon" against pike thickets (and to oppose other such shock troops, natch; halberds were at least as popular in that role too), whereas the very widely used long-, bastard- and "great" swords of the Late Middle Ages (to which period the man's armour points; he certainly lacks the eye-watering gaudiness of the Landsknecht) were rather different beasts.

The sword typology of the ARMA (http://www.thearma.org/terms4.htm), although not perfect, explains the issue fairly well.

Parts of his armour design (such as an apparently complete lack of solid shoulder guards, and the upper arm plates going under the mail sleeves) also look a little odd, but not excessively so. People tried some pretty crazy schemes after all, and often weren't in the position to be excessively picky.

A.Saturnus
03-20-2006, 00:54
Looks nice otherwise, but I think the Zweihander is a bit anachronistic. That type of very large two-handed sword was mainly used in the pikeman armies of Renaissance as an "assault weapon" against pike thickets

Why would that be anachronistic?

Watchman
03-20-2006, 00:58
'Cause he otherwise looks like a late-medieval MAA kitted for foot combat, not a 1500s Doppelsoldner shock trooper. The type of armour and the type of sword are from too different periods (and contexts) for me to be wholly comfortable with.

A.Saturnus
03-20-2006, 21:42
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Saturnus/Doppelsldner.jpg

Granted, they looked more extravagant in real, but I'd say it's close enough.

Vlad The Impala
03-20-2006, 21:53
Looks good, im eagerly awating to see the mounted knight though
I don't know if this is old news, but there's a picture of a Scottish Feudal Knight on the same page/link, just click the 'advance' button beneath the Zweihander.