PDA

View Full Version : Once my other prob *points below* is solved. 1 more issue

MiniKiller
03-10-2006, 23:14
Ok once I get my question on half of my space being missing (in my other question) I have to figure out what needs updating. I'm currently downloading windows xp sp2 and have already had like 40 or so 'hotfixes' put on my pc.

What other updates to I need? To my video card from alienware correct? Sound card? What about my speakers do I need to reinstall those as well?

Thanks! :help:

*Edit* Nevermind sp 2 took away all the 40 or so hotfixes cept for "Windows installer 3.1 "

LeftEyeNine
03-11-2006, 15:13
Windows has a smart autoupdating feature that will generally keep you out of trouble about choosing what to download (assuming you have installed SP2). However, if somehow your autoupdate stops downloading, please inform me here so that I can tell you how I get rid of it ('cause it's a bit messy).

Update your video card drivers if neccessary. For example if you have a NVidia Geforce 5xxx FX series video card, newer drivers will no longer help with any issue or performance improvement since the products are discontinued. I recommend having the last version of Nvidia drivers starting with 6x.xx assuming that you have a 5xxx series videocard. (67.66 may be the last one of those series, I'm not sure)

For performance and eye-candy tweaks I recommend installing a modified video car driver. Allow me some time to prepare a thorough tutorial for installing modified video driver.

Sound car drivers need to be updated as long as they can be. Your speakers don't need any drivers since they technicaly can't make use of a driver -they depend on what sound card brings. Though I'm not sure about digital speakers which have external THX, Dolby Surround and such decoders. However, such stuff is not "cheap" so if there's something to be done, it should have arrived packed with your speakers.

Always keep your system update. But as I said, video cards have some exceptions.

Good luck ~:)

MiniKiller
03-11-2006, 23:00
thank u Ill update all that as soon as I can. ya I have a 'geforce ultra 5900' I believe.

modified video driver? that would be awsome if u would help me out on that.

thanks again for all ur help

*edit*

Damn I went to the alienware site to download my driver and it only showed me 2 results. a 7x.xx and a 8x.xx nothing below that and nothing that suports my card. Also should I update my actually internet explorer in anyway? So far, like I said all Ive done is service pack 2.

Just A Girl
03-19-2006, 02:34
i generaly do all the updates unless 1 causes me probs...
the WMP update made video playback terrible on some of my pc's at 1 point, but all the updates seem good now.
none have cause me any probs latley, at any rate.

so id do them all apart from drivers for gfx and sound excetera.
get those from manufacturer.